Avoiding the Inevitability of FFXIII....HELP!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

LostNFound
Raven
Raven

23 Apr 2010, 2:48 am

I've put off this game long enough. I loahted to hear that it was no longer turn based. I never could really get into playing FFX2 for that reason. And that was only semi-turn based. Cutting the fat worked for Mass Effect but I want my Final Fantasy turn based...>Wah!

Didn't particuarly care for Star Ocean on PS2 for the same.

WhY!! !! ! WHY!! !! !! !! !! !! Well hell, is it fun or what? I'm hoping for response from those who aren't necessarily fans of the real time progression. This business of being shoved forward from battle to battle without a gentle decompression between makes my head ache already. But it's Final Fantasy. I've loved it since first playing the original on NES with hallmarks after being 2, 7, and 10. Wow. But this? Is it worth it? Or just more corny Japanese (I'm getting old for that sh**) structure with unrelenting battle. Summons that are motorbikes!?!?!?!? WHY! My soul sighs.

So gaming veterans. How does it stand on its own, soul sickening, merits?

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2010, 3:22 am

I've made a post somewhere else complaining about the boredom of the battle system. Right now I'm stuck on a big boss (don't remember the name, but it's HARD), I love the graphics, characjters and story but I really can't undesratand the ratio of the battle system, seems just a mind numbing button mashing to me.

TJW
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Apr 2010, 3:48 am

I found all the bosses easy in ff13 for some reason. I was expecting there to be challenge but nothing :(

Mikelight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Apr 2010, 4:28 am

Play Chrono Trigger on DS instead!

TJW
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Apr 2010, 4:51 am

Mikelight wrote:
Play Chrono Trigger on DS instead!

If you are talking to me then i don't have DS but I'm getting Demon's Souls which is meant to be hardest games ever. It allows for no mistakes or lack of attention when fighting

Ravenitrius
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2010, 4:56 am

I'm taking my slow ass time playing the game but on these boss fights, I abuse the hell outta the para~~shift blah blah to end fights quicker. I just realized the boss fights are super easy.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2010, 12:30 pm

Those RPG games that will go out on the DS are turns based. They not out yet though...

]http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=FdHp4o0s5Wg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5szPw2f8E4

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2010, 4:00 pm

Spoiler free:

I (and my crystal ball) predict that you will enjoy the game overall for its own merits. The para~~shift* (as another poster put it :)) is akin to FFX-2's cosplay changing routines. I would recommend that you put the RTB system at the slowest speed possible both because it makes it more like turn based AND it has an effect on your summons. In the beginning things will seem slow, but around endgame the slower speed is a real help.

The motorbike summon may make more sense when you know that ALL summons have a mode where they become vehicles. They are interesting transformations except for the great dragon Bahamaut who becomes... a flying dragon. Which he already is. Of course. <shakes head>

As a completionist, I disliked the grind to get 100% achievements and felt like I was fighting turtles ad infinitum (you'll understand what I mean in about 150 hours from now heh heh :twisted:).

Example of my taste in the series so you can use it as a mitigating factor for how alike your experience will be to mine: I thought the story for VII was best, the story for X was very, very good and the story for this one was "Decent+". Absolutely worth the playthrough, but don't go in expecting a deep, rich, engrossing amount of sidequests. Or even a town to visit!

*A joke for the more cerebral of you that are missing Dig'M for the "~~", above. Here he is:

PARAImageSHIFT!! !

Ravenitrius
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2010, 2:59 am

At some point, ATB set to slow is good for certain fights but is bad in other fights as it will entirely "pwned" you.

Prosser
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2010, 3:35 am

I like to think of it as similar to FFX-2. But good. The combat system is entirely new though, not like the normal ATB stuff. If that idea doesn't appeal to you then you may not like FFXIII. I'd recommend it though.