Simulation 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Mystery 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Other/Hybrid 26%  26%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 85

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 10:46 pm

This was a tough choice, but ultimately, I selected Action. Games like the new Ninja Gaiden, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Assassin's Creed 2, God of War, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed are my favorite types of games. Next would be story driven games. I just finished Alan Wake and found it to be an incredible experience.

Sol-IV
Raven
Raven

05 Jun 2010, 9:27 am

The two types of games I primarily play are FPS and RPGs/MMORPGs...
Though even with First Person Shooters I prefer more puzzle-oriented gameplay
as opposed to 'Run-in-and-shoot-everything' gameplay, for example Portal or Half Life.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 10:32 am

I like games that combine aspects, and do so pretty well. FPS/RPGs like Dragon Age, Deus Ex, and Mass Effect. RPG/RTSs like Cyberstorm and Dawn of War II . . . as far as stand alone, Im big into RTSs and RPGs (since there isnt so much movement as an FPS, which tend to disorient me).

Mikelight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jun 2010, 5:51 am

Fighting games

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2010, 1:53 pm

My favorite genre is RTS. My favorite RTS games are Command & Conquer: Red Alert with Aftermath, Command & Conquer: Generals Zero Hour, Age of Empires II with Conqueror's expansion, Age of Empires III, and Sins of a Solar Empire with Entrenchment. Lately I've played Company of Heroes but I can't say I like it as a favorite so much, since the constant waypoint capturing is annoying, although I do like the history-based campaign.

GammaGeek
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2010, 8:19 pm

Im absolutely obbsessed with rpgs and fighting games (I actually have a mild but legit addiction to videogames). The Final Fantasy games are my favorite, but I like the old ones best. The new ones are just too much :(. And I've loved the Tekken games since the beginning of time. I also love racing games like Crash Nitro Cart and MarioCart for DS. Plus there is the good old adventure games like Gauntlet. Basically, if it's a videogame and not for the X-Box, I will probably play it. Unless its Donkey Kong. I really hate DK.

FredOak3
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jun 2010, 8:25 pm

Silent Hill with the head phones on and the room completely dark...total immersion and creeps...love it

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2010, 12:36 am

I love all kinds of games, especially RTS (total war) and RPG (Fallout series), but there's NOTHING like a great sandbox game!

After five years I still love to play X3:Reunion (X-tended mod) when I have the time.

There's nothing like zipping around a huge space battle in a scout ship waiting to claim all the salvage after the Xenon and Agron navies kick the crap outta each other!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJuqJnGTc8o&feature=related[/youtube]

silvskaterdude
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Jun 2010, 10:46 pm

whoa whoa whoa whoa no figthing games on the list had to choose other option/hybrid = fail fightin games r ta legit shiniz badass bonfire like they r gud to just get a free wlid feel smacking ur oporanant to death plus the combos r grand i love them teaken 6 is is my fave game right now love street fighters games . mortal combat, soul cailiber awasomeness, smash bros, bleach, naruto, dragon ball z, inuyahsa, zatch bell, virtua fighta(epic) and capcom vs games ftw.

AngryRobotsInc
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jun 2010, 11:09 pm

My favorite genres tend to be RPGs (both western and eastern), adventure/action-adventure, and platformers.

I also play a lot of games that have a lot of customization or things to get/do. Think Disgaea, or Viva Pinata. But that's more my OCD coming out in video games (have to do EVERYTHING), than me enjoying them in general.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 2:56 am

Point and click games, story-driven games, and FPS's from before 2006.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 1:50 am

My favorite type if game is very fantasy based with swords and magic. What I liked most were how many things you could use in it. Touching barrels, grabbing cheese, tossing bread, breaking lights and other small picky things are the best fun I had. Why can't more games let players use everything or anything in the scenery? I bet some roleplaying games would be vastly better if we could do so. Every 3D game I play seems to have this one story or plot direction to take your character down, no matter how many quests and such you do. That just seems kind of.. I don't know... old.

AngryRobotsInc
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jun 2010, 8:12 am

LiendaBalla wrote:
Every 3D game I play seems to have this one story or plot direction to take your character down, no matter how many quests and such you do. That just seems kind of.. I don't know... old.

The major problem with a story that changes based on character actions is determining the cut off point, for several areas. What affects it and when, how severe are the changes in general, do small actions have small changes or is stepping on the grass next to a 'Keep off the grass' sign as bad as robbing a bank to the game code, etc. etc.

Allowing interaction with anything and everything only makes that problem bigger. It's a lot easier from a design standpoint to allow at most two to three possible storylines with clear flags to activate them, a few alternate ways to accomplish goals in the game, or several wildly different endings depending on WHEN you end the game rather than what you do, with little to no change in the game's storyline.

GeriatricJurassic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jun 2010, 11:53 am

Yea,I love RPG's, because i like to be able to be in control of one or more characters, It's GREAT that way. It keep's the game interesting and does'nt get way too, over-stimulating, like certian other games, to me such as all those "Army-men in Combat-Wars" Games... but even those may be rpg's I think, they are'nt that great.(NOTE: so much is going on such as: machine guns,grenades,buildings blowing up,men yelling & screaming, shooting,etc.) Like I said before I LOVE RPG's!! !! !

GeriatricJurassic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jun 2010, 12:02 pm

FredOak3 wrote:
Silent Hill with the head phones on and the room completely dark...total immersion and creeps...love it

:lol: yeaa, *puts on best frowny face* my momma wont let me get that for some reason................... :?

Blake_be_cool
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 7:45 am

MMORPG, It's cool to kill other people.
I used to play RuneScape.