Have you read any interesting books recently?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

aspartame
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Apr 2010, 2:32 pm

I love to read and am always looking for new book recommendations. I thought I'd start a thread where fellow readers could keep track of their reading and make suggestions.

Right now, I'm reading
The Journals of Lewis and Clark
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Stieg Larsson (along with everyone else on the planet, I know)

What about you?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 2:43 pm

I'm reading The Kinks 'All Day and All Of The Night'.

TheLastVictorian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Apr 2010, 6:49 pm

Right this minute I'm reading a really stupid western novel. I don't recommend it, so I'm not going to tell anyone the title!

If you're a mystery person, as your reading of the girl with the dragon tattoo suggests, you might like the writer Eric Ambler - an oldie but goodie - more adventuresome then mysterious, but I tend to look at the two genres as entwined - also, socio-historically interesting - the best books are his first ones, written in the late 1930s, and 40s. Try Journey into Fear, or Uncommon Danger, as they are the most availible.

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 10:23 pm

I just finished 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" I liked the first two thirds, but the last third read as if the author had a deadline coming up and he just rushed through it without bothering to tell the story. The moment the mysteries start getting solved is where it ceased to be believable or interesting.

Currently reading "Into The Wild" I like Sean Penn's film of it quite a lot and am enjoying the book.

aspartame
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Apr 2010, 12:26 am

I really liked Into the Wild. I haven't seen the movie, though.

Jon Krakauer's other books are pretty interesting, as well.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 3:57 am

Waris Dirie's books (because I'm obsessed with Africa now) and Lisey's Story - I was obsessed with this last book last summer. I tried to convert my mother to Stephen King but after the first dozen or so pages of "Lisey" she resigned. I asked her on which page she was and she replied - on the 19th :D Every SK's fan knows in his works 19 is a cult number, the same as 69 is for Kamasutra :twisted:

Postures
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 4:02 am

Good Morning, Midnight by Jean Rhys. I love that woman.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 5:05 am

I've found a bunch of old books, that I want to read, again, so I'm going to put aside the time to try to get my recent book finished.

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 9:02 am

In the past month (roughly 30 days) I've read the following:
A Brief History of the Dead
Reading and the Brain
How Psychoanalysis Really Works
Sherlock Holmes Complete Collection
(Volumes I & II)
The Unit (It is Swedish and super strange and interesting. It is about a dystopian society in which middle aged childless people are placed in a sterile yet theoretically enjoyable environment in which the people have organs removed for transplants to unhealthy people with children outside of the unit or have pharmaceuticals tested on them. I was thinking about it for a long time afterward)
Her Fearful Symmetry by Something Niffenegger (I really recommend this. It was also rather thought provoking. It seems deceptively shallow in the beginning but it isn't, I pinky promise.)
The Earth Children series by Somethingsomething Auel (About Neolithic humans, and their relations with the Cro-Magnon cavemen. It's more sexual than I could have imagined..)
The Magicians by Lev Grossman (It's a grown-up mix of Harry Potter and Narnia. I probably needed that for the advancement of my maturity :lol: Not as good as either of the originals, and the characters are sort of indecisively brilliant in a way that I find sickeningly relatable.)
The Stand by Stephen King (I'm still in the middle of this one. I started last thursday and forgot it in my school locker :cry: it's over one thousand pages, so it is satisfyingly substantial. Perhaps it is unnecessarily verbose, but ...forgive my colloquial dismissal. Whatever.)
The Dreamcatcher also by Stephen King (Disgusting but enrapturing. Classic Stephen King :lol: )

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 12:49 pm

How To Get Rich by Felix Dennis is very good for anyone who wants to... Well, get rich :P

I want to read The Big Short next, if my mum dosen't want to buy it for me (she usually does buy my books, but she changes her mind sometimes), I'll get it next month when I get my pocket money.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 12:56 pm

"Someone must have been telling lies about Josef K." :idea:

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 1:23 pm

I read Ella Most Beautiful Princess.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 9:30 am

Irulan wrote:
Lisey's Story - I was obsessed with this last book last summer. I tried to convert my mother to Stephen King but after the first dozen or so pages of "Lisey" she resigned.

I didn't like that one at all, unfortunately. I can't blame her for stopping. I would have if not for the fact that it is impossible for me to quit reading a book :lol:

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 10:54 am

I just finished reading Rowan The Strange, it's about a teenage schizophrenic in World War Two who goes into a mental hospital where they give him electric shock treatments to stop him hurting people.

y es como un semestre"

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 7:53 pm

yes

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 6:22 am

Turms, the Etruscan by Mika Valtari (one of my favorite writers; his Sinuhe the Egyptian is my favorite novel by him, I believe)

L. M. Montgomery's novels