Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 5:49 pm

http://help4aspergers.com/pb/wp_a58d4f6 ... d4f6a.html

The chart for female Aspie traits mentions hair usually is wash/wear and can be happy not grooming all the time (or something to that effect) I have gone out of the house with my hair not brush and today at the beach my top could slip a little (I assume showing my breast) and while laying down dad made a remark he could see my private (guess the bottom is too big or something I don't know it fits FINE TO ME!) I tend NOT to CARE what others think/see of me. It's not like I'm going around nude!! !! Has anyone else male/female Aspie NOT care about there appearance such as brushing your hair or clothes slipping/not fitting right?

Thanks. :-)

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 6:07 pm

I look like a fire damaged bush whether I make an effort or not, so generally I make no effort. I've no one to impress with how civillised looking I can make myself.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 6:18 pm

I'm not so concerned with what I wear as I am with how it looks on. I don't do ab crunches, lift weights and run on a treadmill every day for my health. :wink:

Now if I could just reverse this aging process, everything would be fine.

I do keep my hair in a ponytail most of the time because it's simpler than anything else and I don't want to cut it, but long hair on guys was the style of the day when I was a yout' so that's what feels natural to me. I do wash it daily, though. Can't stand feeling greasy or gritty.

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 6:19 pm

I won't say that I don't care how I look, because I always try to look neat and tidy, though I don't always manage it. I'll admit to the wash and wear hairstyle -- I've always hated futzing with curling irons, etc., though I will from time to time for special occasions. Sometimes, I cut it shorter, sometimes let it grow longer with just a trim. I usually wear makeup, until I forget and go for weeks without any at all. I hate shaving and will go a long while without bothering if I can get away with it.

I do pay more attention to my clothes now than I ever did in the past, partially because I lost a lot of weight and had to buy new clothes and partially because I'm starting a new professional career and want to look the part. I won't let myself buy T-shirts anymore because if I have them, it's all I want to wear, since they're so comfortable. My daughter tells me that my everyday clothes are nicer than most people's semi-casuals. I even own a couple of dresses and skirts, now, and wear them from time to time by choice. So, I guess my wardrobe is growing up a bit.

I'm actually very careful about the fit of clothes, but what I like may not be what others would prefer. I'm still getting used to the form-fitting pants and tops these days, but I make sure that shoulder seams are at my shoulder where they belong and that button plackets don't pull in the middle too much. I'm not so great about hemming pants legs, though.

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 6:22 pm

I have wash and wear hair most of the time, but I do brush my teeth and wash up before I go out anywhere. I make sure there are not stains on my clothes and that they don't make me look fat. I sometimes even wear makeup. My hair is curly, so it is best not to groom too much anyway, so the curls stay in shape.

I do care how I look. I don't care if anyone finds me attractive though. I am often appalled at how other people allow themselves to go out in public with flab oozing out of their clothing, crusty feet showing in their sandals, etc. They should know certain things need to be covered. And those shorts that show butt cheek and "camel toe" 8O dont get me started!

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 6:26 pm

I care quite a bit about how I look in public (including clothing, shaving, and hair product), but at home, I'm a hot mess ;)

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 6:27 pm

Nope....not when i'm depressed like this. Even shaving and getting haircuts when I feel like i'm in hell seem like herculean tasks. I only own a few pair of shorts and jeans and about five shirts that fit me. I can't even get motivated to go out and shop for new clothes. I hate going to stores/shopping even when I don't feel depressed. I wouldn't be surprised if people mistake me for a homeless person right now.

And since depressions robs me of my libido too....i'm not motivated to look good for the opposite sex either.

Severe depression rocks!! ! :roll:

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 6:35 pm

My mother used to tell my brother that he looked like he'd been dragged through a keyhole.
As for myself, I care but not to an extreme point. I keep myself clean and wear minimal makeup. I am incapable of not spilling food on myself. Just did it as a matter of fact.

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 6:43 pm

Aimless wrote:
I am incapable of not spilling food on myself. Just did it as a matter of fact.

The joke in our family is that a meal hasn't officially started until one of us has food on our shirt. :lol:

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 7:08 pm

pschristmas wrote:
Aimless wrote:
I am incapable of not spilling food on myself. Just did it as a matter of fact.

The joke in our family is that a meal hasn't officially started until one of us has food on our shirt. :lol:

Same thing in my family and as with everything else in existence...i'm usually the biggest offender. :x :oops: :cry: :roll:

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 7:22 pm

As long as I won't get arrested, I'm fine. I don't bathe because I don't like the feeling of water on my skin, so I always stink. I don't shave until my beard gets scratchy and drives me up the wall, then I shave. I shave maybe once or twice a month. I do cover up so that my flab isn't showing, and I wear tennis shoes and long pants so you can't see how dirty I am. I also dress in clean clothes. I don't like swimming/swimsuits, so I rarely swim and rarely wear swim trunks. It's just as well, since I have a belly. I keep my hair short because if I don't I have a bad dandruff problem. I have to put medicine on my scalp to keep the dandruff and itching down. Yeah, I'm just a hulk-a hulk-a, well, fat. :roll: I take meds that make me gain weight, and it's only recently that I got my eating under control, so I have a LOT of weight to lose. I'm pretty ugly.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 8:01 pm

I care how I look. I don't care if guys find me attractive, or not. I'm not into guys.

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 8:05 pm

If I have to spend an extended period of time in public, I'll take more care in my grooming and clothing choice. If I'm just running to the corner store I'll tie my hair back and put on jeans. If I'm just staying home I'm probably going to be in my pajamas all day. I shower every other day if I'm going out to class but if I'm not going out I'll go longer between showers. I never wear makeup.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

kwilky
Raven
Raven

30 Apr 2010, 8:11 pm

Sometimes I do. Most of the time I don't. I'll only shave when the hair on my face gets long enough to get in the way or when I'm meeting someone and I want to look decent. I also rarely get haircuts and I never brush my hair. I'm always in the same color pants and wear tshirts with a jacket always on. I pretty much look the same every day. I'll usually shower if I plan to go somewhere. Maybe that's kind of gross but I also deal with major depression so yea...

Cuterebra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Apr 2010, 8:18 pm

If I have to go to class, I bathe and wear clean clothes. On the weekends or holidays, I usually don't bother to shower and wear the same clothes several days in a row, even if I have to go out to buy groceries or whatever. Hair is wash and wear, usually tied back with a scrunchie +/- brushing. I dress up and wear makeup a couple of times a year on special occasions.

AdmiralCrunch
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Apr 2010, 8:39 pm

You'd figure with all the obsessiveness I show with so many areas of my life, it would extend to my appearance. (Of course, you'd be wrong.)
I've been making a concerted effort over the last few years to iron and starch my entire wardrobe weekly, and have invented a system to ensure that I have a 3-week rotation between my shirts and pants. But even now, when I provoke feedback from my friends, they mention that I have no style at all.
Fashion's too complicated.

As far as hygiene is concerned, I've just forced myself into habit. Put your razors/antiperspirant/whatever in a line on the sink counter and count through as you apply them in sequence. Have exactly 1 backup left in the cabinet, and when it runs out add it to the shopping list you always keep on your person. Force yourself into doing it.

These little things really do add up. They really are requirements, and as you grow older they become totally non-optional. But systematization is the only way I can hope to achieve this. Perhaps it could work for you too.