ALL MEMBERS READ THIS: Someone spoofing our email

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

alex
Developer
Developer

01 Apr 2006, 7:52 am

WrongPlanet has had a problem with someone from another Asperger's site spoofing email from our server. If you're not familiar with "spoofing," it basically means that someone is sending messages to users and the messages appear to be from someone other than the actual sender. This is illegal as it violates internet privacy and fraud statutes. I found multiple unsolicited messages which appeared to come from WrongPlanet staff.

We believe this to be a grave breach of trust and urge you not to respond with personal details to any emails that appear to be from WrongPlanet.

The email we found was written as if it came from a moderator on WrongPlanet.net. It urged members to seek other Asperger's Syndrome websites. Again, we're very sorry that someone is trying to deceive you in this manner and we believe that such actions are very low and immoral. Thanks for your patience as we deal with this issue.

All messages sent to [email protected] will be received, so don't worry about contacting me directly. I'm also available on the phone. If anyone would like to call me for any reason at all, feel free to do so.

- WrongPlanet Staff
http://www.WrongPlanet.net

Last edited by alex on 08 Sep 2012, 4:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2006, 8:28 am

This is no April Fools joke, is it, Alex?

alex
Developer
Developer

01 Apr 2006, 8:35 am

larsenjw92286 wrote:
This is no April Fools joke, is it, Alex?

No, it is not. That would be a horrible joke.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2006, 9:22 am

Will keep my eyes out for anything wierd that happens. Also, you might want to either post this as an announcement or sticky it so that people will read and see it.

sc
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2006, 10:50 am

Somebody is in trouble now!

2fifty8
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2006, 11:54 am

I'm familliar with spoofing, I had that problem with my website, an unscrupulous individual got a hold of my member list and sent infected emails to all of my members, luckily, I was awake at the moment it happened, which was around 3am, so I was able to send out warnings to everybody, and nobody got the virus.

This sounds like the work of a disgruntled member to me.

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2006, 12:35 pm

edited.

Last edited by ilikedragons on 01 Apr 2006, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alex
Developer
Developer

01 Apr 2006, 12:42 pm

ilikedragons wrote:
When are you going to stop people from hacking the site and this stuff?

When we get enough money to hire a security team we'll be able to stop the hacking, but we can't stop people from sending out emails pretending to be us. Ebay and Citibank both have this type of thing happening.

2fifty8
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2006, 12:45 pm

Really, the only thing you can do, is send out mass emails refuting the claims of the spoofers, that way people who may not come here often aren't fooled.

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2006, 12:47 pm

alex wrote:
ilikedragons wrote:

When we get enough money to hire a security team we'll be able to stop the hacking, but we can't stop people from sending out emails pretending to be us. Ebay and Citibank both have this type of thing happening.

Hire me for the security team I'll watch this site like a watch dog.

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2006, 1:28 pm

Aren't some other platforms more secure? I know a lot of the people in the computer forum suggest we move?

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2006, 1:48 pm

BeeBee wrote:
Aren't some other platforms more secure? I know a lot of the people in the computer forum suggest we move?

Where you going to move to?

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2006, 1:54 pm

LOL!

Okay, I worded the poorly.

Let me try again.

Some people who know much more about computer than I do have suggested that the...software...platform...whatever....Alex uses for this site is very popular but very easy to hack. They have suggested THE SITE move to a more secure...software? Platform?

I, personally, am moving to the back of the room where I keep my chocolate cookies...

BeeBee

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2006, 6:23 pm

alex wrote:
ilikedragons wrote:

http://s6.invisionfree.com/UASC2

Check there, alex. GWDA, free, and actually quite effecient.

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2006, 3:43 am

alex wrote:
WrongPlanet has had a problem with someone from another Asperger's site spoofing email from our server.
All messages sent to [email protected] will be received, so don't worry about contacting me directly. I'm also available on the phone at. If anyone would like to call me for any reason at all, feel free to do so.

First: What "..other Asperger's site" would that be Alex? Hmm?

And Second: Are you insane!? You don't give out your phone number on a publicly viewable website!

Whizper
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Apr 2006, 8:48 am

I personally found the spoof email hilarious (especially since I had no loyalties for or against any members on this site, being new and all)

I wondered wat ninny thought I CARED who was having what problem with whom. Nothing would put me off this site....I have had plenty of time to google others, and I found this one to be the best.(When I google I take about 12-14 hours on a subject....finding a suitable webforum took about 6 hours of sifting through the flotsam and jetsam)

The beauty of forums is the following: Once it comes to a certain size(which wrong planet certainly has!), no one individual can truly control the forums anymore...its just too much to read!! !

And thus democracy is thrust upon the system, and true freedom is born online.

The statements made in the email were ridiculous enough to be laughable, and I sincerely hope others who recieved it realise that.

And BTW...I bloody hate spammers, spoofers,phishers,and all other freaks that use the internet for nefarious purposes....they will have a special little place in hell!

Most especially I don't let them spoil my fun! Viva la Wrong Planet!

Next mood swing : ETA 30 sec.