Anyone currently at University of Waterloo?

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 4:12 pm

MathGirl wrote:
I've heard that there isn't an aspie support group at Waterloo.

Apparently, the aspie support group at York only started in 2007.
http://health.blog.yorku.ca/2009/09/23/ ... entorship/

I hope there will be one in Waterloo before I graduate. I would have no problem telling my parents THAT :lol: . I can't imagine any negative come backs they can come up with. I mean what are they going to say, "please make NT friends"? lol

Last edited by jc6chan on 03 May 2010, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 4:23 pm

MathGirl wrote:
As for university, I am going there for studying and not for making friends.

Before I went into university I also thought that I would "feel fine" like that. Maybe each person is different, but I personally found it emotionally and psychologically exhausting not having to socialize all day. I need a balance.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 4:32 pm

I will still continue doing social stuff related to my special interest outside of school. For me, when I'm in school, it's either schoolwork or my special interest. Unfortunately, I end up spending most of my time on schoolwork, because material outside of my particular interest takes me ages to process.

So you don't think you'll be able to tell your parents about Asperger's, or maybe simply that we've met on the Internet?

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 4:43 pm

MathGirl wrote:

So you don't think you'll be able to tell your parents about Asperger's, or maybe simply that we've met on the Internet?

Maybe not. I'm getting a little angry/sad right now cause there is no aspie support group in Waterloo. Thanks for bringing that up! If you didn't mention it I wouldn't have thought of it that much. Now I will have a miserable school term because of you!(just kidding :lol: ).

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 4:52 pm

jc6chan wrote:
MathGirl wrote:

Maybe not. I'm getting a little angry/sad right now cause there is no aspie support group in Waterloo. Thanks for bringing that up! If you didn't mention it I wouldn't have thought of it that much. Now I will have a miserable school term because of you!(just kidding :lol: ).
Sorry. :(

Well, at least try to gain the courage to tell your parents. Think of everything that can possibly happen if you tell them. I think in my case, it's more difficult because I have to tell them about the formal diagnosis. However, they already know that I have Asperger's (they're the ones who told me about it in first place). They just don't seem to want to hear it from someone else. I don't know why, though. My parents don't make sense.

But yeah, if you do think that it's possible for us to meet up in the future, feel free to PM me so that we could arrange it. I'd love to meet more new people from the forum. :)

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 5:10 pm

MathGirl wrote:

Well, at least try to gain the courage to tell your parents. Think of everything that can possibly happen if you tell them.

I had 4 months off before this term and I didn't have a job and only took 2 courses. I should've been like, "you know, mom, don't you think its time for me to hang out with more people? Oh, look at that! Websites about aspie meetups in the GTA!" :lol:

Aw man, I don't have any 4-month terms where I'm off, unless my academic plans change again :roll:

But after I graduate, I will have the chance to convince my mom of going to meetups since I picture myself having no social life. I might be employed but I will probably be staying at home aside from going to work.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 5:25 pm

Heh, you don't need months, you only need one day to meet me. I don't think explaining everything to your parents will take you more than a few minutes. You definitely don't need 4 months! I have no idea what I'll be like once I graduate. I have grandiose plans for changing the world. One step at a time... :D

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 5:29 pm

MathGirl wrote:
Heh, you don't need months, you only need one day to meet me. I don't think explaining everything to your parents will take you more than a few minutes. You definitely don't need 4 months! I have no idea what I'll be like once I graduate. I have grandiose plans for changing the world. One step at a time... :D

I seems less awkward to tell my parents if I have a longer period of "social void". It would seem more convincing.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 5:35 pm

jc6chan wrote:
MathGirl wrote:
I seems less awkward to tell my parents if I have a longer period of "social void". It would seem more convincing.
Ah, I see where you're coming from. Well, do what you think is best, I guess.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 7:18 pm

You don't happen to know any other aspies who go to Waterloo do you?

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 7:31 pm

Yes, I do. On WP, the name is Padium, but the person might have been banned from WP as I don't see them posting anymore. You can also find this person in the Wrongplanet chatroom as Dayla or something with that word in their name. I'm not sure about their contact information, but we've spoken in the chatroom a few times and this person seems nice. I say "they" because I'm not sure about their exact gender.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 7:34 pm

MathGirl wrote:
Yes, I do. On WP, the name is Padium, but the person might have been banned from WP as I don't see them posting anymore. You can also find this person in the Wrongplanet chatroom as Dayla or something with that word in their name. I'm not sure about their contact information, but we've spoken in the chatroom a few times and this person seems nice. I say "they" because I'm not sure about their exact gender.

Say "he/she". Ok, well, thanks anyway

UPDATE its a "he". The last time he logged on was Feb 01. And he is born the same year as I am.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 7:58 pm

I guess it's a 'he', then, but I believe that he/she was born as a 'she'.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 2:42 pm

Wow, this thread was from over a year ago.
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp2767312.html#2767312

I should've joined WP earlier.

j_rd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Mar 2011, 4:40 pm

Hey,

I'm at UW now... and interested in meeting up if you still are. Uh I'm newly diagnosed and really need some support.

j_rd