Do you enjoy the characters in Twilight?Is Bella an Aspie?

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AW
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 2 May 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 122

03 May 2010, 9:48 pm

I have to say- I do not like the story line in Twilight, apart from the first book. The rest are soppy, and have no real story, taking ages to get to the point. But nevertheless I am addicted. And the characters are cool, I wish I knew them in real life :oops: :oops: ; yes even people like the Volturi and Victoria and James ( as long as I was not at risk of getting eaten, which kind of doesn't work out, but never mind).
But the main reason I am slightly too much involved is that Bella slightly reminds me of myself. Is she an intended Aspie?
I have heard that Stephanie Meyer based Bella slightly on herself, and some say she could possibly have Asperger's.
So if you're a mild Twilight fan girl( or woman, boy or man) like me, or an obsessed fan ( in general) or an avid hater of the series- I would like to hear what your views on the matter- Bella an Aspie?
Here are some characteristics that remind me of myself that Bella has;

Shy at school, goes red often.
Teachers generally bug her. Don't understand her intelligence, as she is quiet.
Particular about order/timetables.
Enjoys her own company, especially when her best friends and boyfriend love of her life is "gone".
It's great at maths, but ok.
Isn't too fussed about about own appearance.
Quiet, but has a great sense of humour and understanding of people, but never voices this.

Only thing hugely different; she is quiet and responsible around both parents. Hmmm...? Is that typical? hehe :D

Another point is- Kristen who plays her in the films seems much the same.

Now...discuss :roll:



Last edited by AW on 04 May 2010, 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jan 2009
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,387
Location: Canada

03 May 2010, 10:04 pm

Avid hater here. :lol:

Having only seen the first movie and not read any of the books, I would say definitely not aspie. But maybe I'm wrong and there's more to her that I missed.


_________________
My dream is to one day know what my dream is.
~Michael Novotny


zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,431
Location: Florida

03 May 2010, 10:24 pm

AW wrote:
I have to say- I do not like the story line in Twilight, apart from the first book. The rest are soppy, and have no real story, taking ages to get to the point. But nevertheless I am addicted. And the characters are cool, I wish I knew them in real life; yes even people like the Volturi and Victoria and James ( as long as I was not at risk of getting eaten, which kind of doesn't work out, but never mind).
But the main reason I am slightly too much involved is that Bella slightly reminds me of myself. Is she an intended Aspie?
I have heard that Stephanie Meyer based Bella slightly on herself, and some say she could possibly have Asperger's.
So if your a mild Twilight fan girl( or woman, boy or man) like me, or an obsessed fan ( in general) or an avid hater of the series- I would like to hear what your views on the matter- Bella an Aspie?
Here are some characteristics that remind me of myself that Bella has;

Shy at school, goes red often.
Teachers generally bug her. Don't understand her intelligence, as she is quiet.
Enjoys her own company, especially when her best friends and boyfriend love of her life is "gone".
It's great at maths, but ok.
Isn't too fussed about about own appearance.
Quiet, but has a great sense of humour and understanding of people, but never voices this.

Only thing hugely different; she is quiet and responsible around both parents. Hmmm...? Is that typical? hehe :D

Another point is- Kristen who plays her in the films seems much the same.
Have Aspies unintentionally become part of a major fan cult of millions of unsuspecting teens?
Would the response be the same if Bella was stated out-right Aspie by Stephanie Meyer? Maybe all these fans wouldn't think they related as well to her if her personality had a label they didn't have? Sadly, I think this the situation. Well, maybe they will still be fans - Edward Cullen is most likely the biggest attraction to the series :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now...discuss :roll:



Hello fellow Twilighter LOL! :-) Her being Aspie was one of the first things I thought of. Clumsyness (other Aspies have this trait in spades!!) special interest (She's a WRECK without Edward!! ! AKA ME a wreck without College (I cried when I missed a day of class and think of the suspension DAILY FOR GOD SAKE LOL!) (I also took a liking to my teacher/coworkers in an obsessivey way as other Aspies have done) So she has some traits IMO.



Apera
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2008
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 871
Location: In Your Eyes

03 May 2010, 10:46 pm

From what I understand, it's the corny, fan-fic writing that makes characters come across like that. If the story was not primarily romance, and if it were written by someone with brains, then the characters would be more realistic.


_________________
When I allow it to be
There's no control over me
I have my fears
But they do not have me


one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Mar 2010
Age: 68
Gender: Male
Posts: 883
Location: Sydney

03 May 2010, 11:31 pm

Not only Bella, but the vampires themselves are outsiders, don't fit in.
They have "savant" skills.
They seem cold (physically and socially) and aloof to NTs.
They are genetically different.
They have highly sensitive senses - Bella's first experience of vampire senses was a little like sensory overload - an overwhelming sense of everything at once.
They are very disturbed by smells (though this is mainly focussed on blood) - Bella is smell-sensitive even before her transformation.
When vampires pair off, they bond obsessively and permanently - they are difficult to change - rigid in their loyalty.
They are not terribly interested in NTs and find their interests trivial and boring.
They seem (and are) much older than their physical appearance suggests.



tinky
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Mar 2006
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,015
Location: en la luna bailando con las vacas

04 May 2010, 12:35 am

Bella's not an aspie: she's a poorly written character for a book comparable to popular fan fiction that has spread like wild fire.
even thinking about this book makes me bored. watching the first one made me fall asleep(i was forced to see it...don't wanna talk about it).


_________________
tinky is currently trying to overcome anatidaephobia. They're out there and they will find you...

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you


AW
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 2 May 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 122

04 May 2010, 2:00 am

Yes, it is a poorly constructed novel(well, the entire series). And definitely not the most intellectual, and gets a bit boring. But somehow I am addicted! It is pure rubbish that somehow means something to me! Don't ask, I don't understand myself. I must say, I did like the first story, it was sweet. But then it got a little tedious. Whilst I am addicted to reading it again and again, and watching the film( first one only- the animation is terrible in the second, and the special effects) it is not my favourite series- that would be LOTR :D :D or Pirates Of The Caribbean :o or Isobel Carmody's series...the list goes on!
Yes, and the fact that Bella is clumsy is something I overlooked as an Aspie similarity. Maybe this is because I have relatively good co-ordination- since a young age my parents enrolled me in many different types of dance classes to improve being unco- and I made a total fool of myself most of the time, but it seems to have paid off. I'm only midly unco now 8O



Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,573
Location: not here

04 May 2010, 5:13 am

I don't think Bella has Asperger's. How can you even tell when she doesn't have a goddamn personality?

And the vampires aren't even human, so you can't apply human personality disorders to them.


_________________
I don't post here anymore. If you want to talk to me, go to the WP Facebook group or my Last.fm account.


Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Apr 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,795
Location: Bedford UK

04 May 2010, 3:52 pm

I think Bella is dyspraxic. I like Twilight. I have become ONE OF THEM!! ! MWA HA HAHAHAHAHAHA :twisted:


_________________
I have HFA, ADHD, OCD & Tourette syndrome. I love animals, especially my bunnies and hamster. I skate in a roller derby team (but I'll try not to bite ;) )


Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Oct 2009
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,067

04 May 2010, 5:22 pm

Bella Swan
Edward Cullen
Jacob Black
Alice Cullen
Carlisle Cullen
Esme Cullen
Rosalie Hale
Emmett Cullen
Jasper Hale
Renesmee Cullen
The Volturi
James's Coven
James
Victoria
Laurent
Riley
Amazonian coven
Etc. (Source of names Wikipedia)

ASPIE? You decide!



MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 May 2009
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,341

06 May 2010, 2:57 pm

If you think that an elitist, snobbish, ungrateful, pathetic, weak Mary Sue with all the personality and charm of a soggy crum of bread resembles a person with Aspergers, then be my guest, though I disagree.

Hermione Granger (and I contrast her with Bella because HP is also a very popular series with young people) in my opinion doesn't have AS, but there is certainly a better arguement to support the idea that she does have it.

Hermione in the first book valued academic achievement over a social life, and according to Tony Attwood, often people with AS will strive for academic excellence to gain self esteem. Her peers misinterpret this as arrogance and Aspies can often come across as arrogant to those who don't understand their needs. It is later revealed that Hermione struggles with making friends and does actually want to be able to make friends with other students.

She has strong, very intense interest in her subjects and often monologues about them is great detail. These are just several examples of how you could make that argument.

Now, sure -some aspies HATE people being nice to them However, for Bella, this is more in the nature of her being too good for them. The language that she uses to describe certain minor characters is very negative. I might be autistic, but hell, I am thankful when people try to be nice to me ESPECIALLY when I'm the new kid. And sure, she likes to read classic literature, but how intense is this interest? Is it in the expense of her one twu love, Edward? The people I love are often comprimised by my interests. Why should Edward suddenly become more important (unless HE'S the obsession which I agree he is but for different reasons).

Nope Bella is a dependent, mentally and emotionally weak person who supposedly has no flaws besides being clumsy (which isn't a character flaw). However, I see a lot of flaws in Bella that are often promoted as strengths; she gives up everything for Edward ; she just cannot move on when he dumps her and the remedy to her insanity in the second book is that they get back together (which is pathetic) ; she doesn't mind that Edward violates/harms her (destroying her property, threatens to hurt her, threatens to commit suicide if she leaves him, etc)...of course, she falls for all of his BS. Even if her traits do mean AS, do you really want to associate with her?

Oh, and lets not forget that she is only able to make a difference when she becomes a vampire.That is essentially saying that humans cannot overcome their issues unless they become more than human (anti-humanism) and says that Bella has to change herself for her man but her man doesn't have to comprimise a damn thing (anti-feminism). Also, Bella only seems to go for the BEAUTIFUL SPARKLY GOD-LIKE MEN like Edward and Jacob. Way to set the bar REALLY HIGH for men, Meyer (anti-masculinism).

Sorry, I went off topic there, but I hate the series.



Hopeless_Hearts_Marie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2007
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 131
Location: Iowa USA

06 May 2010, 3:30 pm

I love the Twilight Saga and I want to say Bella has AS cause I feel like she might be alot like me :D



Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Oct 2009
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,067

07 May 2010, 9:26 am

Hopeless_Hearts_Marie wrote:
I love the Twilight Saga and I want to say Bella has AS cause I feel like she might be alot like me :D


So, this comes down to her having AS simply because you want her to be like you? I don't see the logic.

Can I say Arnold Schwarzenegger has it too? I loved the Terminator series.



Hopeless_Hearts_Marie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2007
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 131
Location: Iowa USA

07 May 2010, 1:16 pm

Avarice wrote:
Hopeless_Hearts_Marie wrote:
I love the Twilight Saga and I want to say Bella has AS cause I feel like she might be alot like me :D


So, this comes down to her having AS simply because you want her to be like you? I don't see the logic.

Can I say Arnold Schwarzenegger has it too? I loved the Terminator series.

I didn't mean it like that silly. I meant that she has some of the same quarks as me and she thinks alot like me so its like yeah possible.



Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 May 2009
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,987
Location: Belgium

07 May 2010, 6:14 pm

Hopeless_Hearts_Marie wrote:
Avarice wrote:
Hopeless_Hearts_Marie wrote:
I love the Twilight Saga and I want to say Bella has AS cause I feel like she might be alot like me :D


So, this comes down to her having AS simply because you want her to be like you? I don't see the logic.

Can I say Arnold Schwarzenegger has it too? I loved the Terminator series.

I didn't mean it like that silly. I meant that she has some of the same quarks as me and she thinks alot like me so its like yeah possible.

I don't mean to be rude, but she doesn't seem to be doing a lot of thinking in the movies.

I agree with a description I read somewhere that said something along the lines of: it's possible that Bella was purposely created to be a bland character to allow the female readers to more easily imagine themselves in her place. Attributing to her all the generic personality traits of an average adolescent girl makes it easier to relate to her.



Topcat16
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 101

07 May 2010, 6:40 pm

I also dislike this phenononom of non violent vamps