San Francisco Bay area.. in California...

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

JazzofLife
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 May 2010, 10:49 pm

Hello....

I was in SF during the weekend of April 23-25 this year and had an incredible time. The electricity and energy were anything unlike anywhere else I've been in my entire life. When I was about to get on the plane in SF to go to Atlanta, I didn't want to step foot on the plane. I wanted to stay in SF. I love the counter culture of SF, as well as the great diversity which exists in the city. While there, I felt I could be myself without any need of feeling discriminated for anything. So much so, that I enjoyed my morning strolls on both days that weekend.

I am curious to know if anyone lives in the Bay Area on WP. I will be going back to SF sometime early next year, and want to be there for a week, maybe a few days longer than that. I am interested in the possibility of developing friendships with folks in the area. This way, when next year comes, I have something else to look forward to once training ends. Please feel free to post on here and tell me more about the Bay area and what you like about it. I've had at least a few people tell me to follow my heart and dreams already. What's to say that I could possibly move to the Bay area at some point in the future as well? Anything is possible.

Thanks, and look forward to your responses.

Dx'd with AS and AD/HD Combined in 2007

Interests: Music, great outdoors (beach/mountains), cooking/baking, philosophy, arts/sciences, reading, writing, sports, spirituality, Green, sus

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 11:49 pm

I've spent a day in the San Francisco Bay area, with some family and friends, at the age of 19, going on 20. It was a lot of fun. I'll remember that day, forever. :D

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 11:54 pm

JazzofLife wrote:
Hello....

I was in SF during the weekend of April 23-25 this year and had an incredible time. The electricity and energy were anything unlike anywhere else I've been in my entire life. When I was about to get on the plane in SF to go to Atlanta, I didn't want to step foot on the plane. I wanted to stay in SF. I love the counter culture of SF, as well as the great diversity which exists in the city. While there, I felt I could be myself without any need of feeling discriminated for anything. So much so, that I enjoyed my morning strolls on both days that weekend.

I am curious to know if anyone lives in the Bay Area on WP. I will be going back to SF sometime early next year, and want to be there for a week, maybe a few days longer than that. I am interested in the possibility of developing friendships with folks in the area. This way, when next year comes, I have something else to look forward to once training ends. Please feel free to post on here and tell me more about the Bay area and what you like about it. I've had at least a few people tell me to follow my heart and dreams already. What's to say that I could possibly move to the Bay area at some point in the future as well? Anything is possible.

Thanks, and look forward to your responses.

I spent a day at the Fisherman's Warf area back in 1982 and had a really wonderful time.

I have a (very old and worn) photo of me drinking hot chocolate out of a styrofoam cup, wearing a blue sweater and 'freezing' which is all part of the genre...........the coldest winter I ever spent.................

It was August and I was staying with friends in Fremont, where the temperature during the day was around 35C..........at night it was like frozen tundra and I absolutely LOVED it :D

Happy memories and thanks for starting this thread.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2010, 12:00 am

my favorite city of the few that i could visit. if i were sufficiently wealthy to live there, i'd have moved there decades ago. but it is a VERY high cost-of-living city. very crowded. rush-hours traffic jams that will curl your hair. i could only afford to visit it a few times but from those few visits i found it very expensive and very nice- the usual combination. i used to know a few people there who told me, "get your advanced university degree and a 6+figure job before you even consider moving here- otherwise you'll never make enough to afford anything here and you'll be among the traffic-clogging hordes coming in and out of town for work." i never could figure out where people parked. but i liked the weather- generally very temperate - wait 15 minutes and you'll have different weather if you didn't like it at first. the clouds above moved by at quite a clip. the breeze from the ocean i could feel and smell all over the city. very pretty skyline. i didn't get to spend enough time in the magical place called golden gate park. there is a neat audio-only theatre of sound called "Audium" [1616 bush st.] which simply has to be experienced. a lot of city in a relatively little space. wish i could live there.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2010, 11:07 am

I actually lived there from May of 1994 to February of 1996. I liked it, and I did ok there, I first realized that I needed psychiatric help there, and I was actually first diagnosed with AS there. But I decided to return to Sacramento ultimately.

First, I was tossed out of my apartment for "seismic retrofitting", basically repairing the building as required by law so it would withstand an earthquake. I had 30 days to find a new place, and picked a tiny apartment off Union Square. What I DIDN'T know was that that place was INFESTED with vermin of all kinds, and the manager was a crackhead.

Then I got kicked out of City College of San Francisco. I kept dropping classes, and every time I dropped a class I got academic probation marks against me, and finally I got too many marks and was booted. So I moved back to my hometown. I wished I hadn't for a while, but it was the right choice.

But it wasn't easy living there, I had to shop for groceries at insanely expensive markets, and I had little storage space in my little efficiency apartment. I ate out most of the time. My SSI at the time was $600, and my apartment was $450. My electric was $20 and the bus pass $8. So I had to be supported by my mom, who constantly complained about it.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2010, 12:24 pm

Come see Seattle then. The two cities are very similar. Except we are even more expensive and we have worse traffic. :?