Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2010, 2:19 am

I'm reading an article about the 1986 JC Penney wishbook on a site I occasionally check out; the guy who runs the site said he wanted one particular villain from a line no one cared about, only cause he looked so cool, and could easily be used with any other toyline.

that was a hard thing for me; I never liked crossing toylines...don' know about you folks.

The way I saw it: if I had a figure from one toyline, he belonged to that toyline, and no others.

I always had to have at least one good guy and one bad guy from each toyline; I just couldn't mix and match them.

I had a few other toyline vehicles; and got bored fast cause I had no accompanying action figures, and just couldn't picture figures from my other toylines working with them.

How about you folks?

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2010, 2:29 am

I must say, I didn't really use toys, other than LEGO blocks. I usually played using solely my imagination, with no props required.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2010, 2:36 am

Michael_Stuart wrote:
I must say, I didn't really use toys, other than LEGO blocks. I usually played using solely my imagination, with no props required.

see I didn't bother using my imagination too much with toys, as I feared I was straying from the storyline, and something "wasn't right" about that.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2010, 9:23 am

I never thought about crossing lines of toys or even that there were such things. I didn't have many toys as a child and usually just played with things I found around the house or outside. I collected (stole!) non-toy items and stashed them in a secret hiding place. My best collection consisted of lipstick tubes, sugar packets and perfume and I was quite happy crossing all those lines and playing with all of them at the same time. :)

dustintorch
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2010, 10:57 am

No, I remember crossing toy lines a lot because I didn't have enough to not cross them. Actually what I remember doing (only once or twice) is having them all act out a scene from Toy Story. Since I didn't have every toy from the movie, I filled in spots with other toys. Other than that, I just remember playing with one toy at a time. So I guess yes, aside from those couple times, I didn't cross toy lines. Also, I would constantly just have the toys act out exactly what they did on the commercial.

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2010, 11:15 am

It was fair game for me- crossed toy lines all the time! Like a real life Toy Story!

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2010, 12:21 pm

I liked to look at dolls, but I didn't play with them. They were so pretty and so boring.

I loved remote controlled toys. I dreamed about remote U-boot, but it was unavailable. I had a remote tank (my love) and cars.
I liked trains - the longer track, the better. And I liked every toy to construct - Lego, magnetic sticks etc.
If I could take sth apart, I was really happy :D

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2010, 1:01 pm

I can't remember whether I did that or not. I remember having tons of toy soldiers and setting up elaborate battle scenes. I remember using plastic cowboys and Indians to makes scenes with Lincoln Logs. But I don't think it would have ever occurred to me to mix the cowboys with the soldiers, since they represented completely different worlds. In fact, I remember being terrified by a Twilight Zone in which a tank full of soldiers ends up at Little Bighorn with Custer. That's just not right. :evil:

Nor did either group of figures ever interact with Hot Wheels cars. Maybe an armored Matchbox vehicle, or a Tonka, but never a Hot Wheels - those pretty boys are useless on the battlefield. :wink:

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2010, 1:41 pm

Oh, I never said I had a lot; I certainly had quite a bit, but with certain lines I maybe had one or two of an item.

What made it harder for me was that I couldn't actually imagine the character as another character....I just couldn't. To me, he/she was that character, and no others; and if he/she was that character, and no others--and was specifically supposed to fight this or that character, how could I possibly cross him/her over with other characters?

jeweetwelwie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 May 2010, 3:29 pm

I didn't really know what a toyline was and why it woudl matter, to me my toy cars were all toy cars, and they made a nice line (I just don't know the English word for "a long row of cars standing still, like on a highway if an accident has happened."). And yes, I had a toy traffic light that was always on red, untill my line was finished, but I switched to LEGO when I found that it was too much of an effort moving all those cars once the traffic light turns green.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2010, 3:45 pm

I just had loads of counters...

Yeah... poor family!

catherineconns
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 May 2010, 9:53 pm

dustintorch wrote:
Actually what I remember doing (only once or twice) is having them all act out a scene from Toy Story. Since I didn't have every toy from the movie, I filled in spots with other toys.

I did this too. Then again, I did a lot of remaking scenes from all movies as a kid.

As for crossing toylines, I was flexible enough to permit crossovers between toys from various Disney movies. I remember various times when Simba and Aladdin teamed up to fight Scar and Jafar. Other than that, pretty much every set of toys had its own time and place.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 1:14 am

I didn't play pretend much as a kid, so I didn't have or collect toys like that. I was too busy inventing other worlds and drawing maps of them.

Francis
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 12:08 pm

I used to combine all my toys into a single line of toys. Rip the head off of the dinosaur and put it on the GI Joe. Cut the legs off my sisters Barbie dolls and give them a dragons tails in their place. Things like that.

So i didn't cross play toy lines. I created my own single customized derranged toy line.

Now I laugh my butt off because my son does the same thing. I am looking at his GI joe with a Godzilla head, that has a mohawk glued on, and a small plastic baseball bat for a leg. Its too damn funny.

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 12:21 pm

My brothers and I had a lot of crossover among our toys. We had Lego and Duplo, dinosaurs, Matchbox toys, action figures, building blocks, and even soft toys, and there was interaction between all of them. The action figures that tried to attack the Lego town were also food for the teddy bears.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 12:34 pm

When I was a kid and I started watching a cartoon series I was very sensitive about any changes, especially, color and sometimes voice. Sometimes, for whatever reason, a tone would be lighter or darker and I didn't like the episodes with the altered tones as much. If a different actor replaced another and a character's voice was only slightly different, I noticed that, too.