World of Warcraft trouble. Think I can sue the company?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2006, 6:57 pm

At least three times a week, I can't even log into my WOW account to play. The log in sever is too busy. I feel they are not providing paying customers the service they are promising. Think it would have any chance to stand up in a court of law?
Why should we continue to pay $15.00 a month for a game we can't play? I have been stuck on authercating for a half hour. When someone is paying you money for a service, we expect the company that provides the service to have everything running good. I expect to at least to be able to log in and play the game I am paying a monthly fee for. Please upgrade your authercating servers so you can provide to your customers the service you promise us for our $15.00/ a month.
So I'm wondering if I can sue Blizzard (the company that makes WOW) for not providing the service it has promised to its customers?

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2006, 10:21 pm

Well, of course you can file a lawsuit...you're an American, that's what we do best. :D But I don't think it will do anything, and usually lawsuits like that end up costing far more than $15 a month...but yeah, I'm pretty sure you could find a lawyer somewhere to file a lawsuit for you. Have you tried to contact the company? Are they aware of the problem? Why ARE you still paying $15 a month for a service you can't use? Maybe they'll comp you a few months free while they fix the problem. Who knows. Is it just you, or are other players having problems, too?

(I dunno, though. If I were a judge, and if I were handed a lawsuit about not being able to log in three times a week for a computer game, I probably would just toss it out and maybe fine you a couple hundred dollars for wasting my time. That's just because I don't value computer games, so nothing personal, just my two cents.)

sc
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2006, 10:25 pm

E-mail, call or fax the company asking for a partial refund or credit for the next month because it is busy. Resorting to legal action initially is petty.

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2006, 7:53 am

dexkaden wrote:
Well, of course you can file a lawsuit...you're an American, that's what we do best. :D But I don't think it will do anything, and usually lawsuits like that end up costing far more than $15 a month...but yeah, I'm pretty sure you could find a lawyer somewhere to file a lawsuit for you. Have you tried to contact the company? Are they aware of the problem? Why ARE you still paying $15 a month for a service you can't use? Maybe they'll comp you a few months free while they fix the problem. Who knows. Is it just you, or are other players having problems, too?

This problem has been going on since the game came out in November of 2004. Blizzard is aware of the problem. I would say that most WOW players have had this problem. Last night trying to log in was bad. Blizzard says they are working on it but it has been going on for awhile. When you pay a montly fee to play a game, you expect to be able to log in and play the game when you want to. Thats the base of the suit, they are not providing the service they are promising. I understand that they need to do mainteneice every week, but when you only have 2 hours to play, and the log in takes up the first hour, there is an issue.

sc
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2006, 2:26 pm

You could likely do a P.R scare by going on relevent forums and asking others if they have the same problem, then getting together such as in the intro letter put on the forums asking them to e-mail.

Class action.. But just a scare..

Space
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2006, 12:53 pm

I am a gamer, so I understand how server problems can piss you off. At the same time though, I'm sure there is something in blizzard's fine print that says they are not responsible for this type of thing. Go see a lawyer, he will probably laugh in your face. If it even did make it to court I'm sure the judge would do about the same, but then again, if you have a slick lawyer maybe he can think of a way to sue for your $15.00/mo and maybe get you an additional $1 million in damages.

autisticon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Apr 2006, 1:23 pm

I am an avid WoWer so I can relate. However you will get nowhere with this lawsuit.

Here's why:

Blizzard = Filthy rich bastards
You = not a filthy rich bastard

Since we all know how expensive lawyers are, and how good big companies like that are at dragging things on and on, most likely they'll run you out of money before you get the court to decide anything. And what are you gonna get if you do win? At most you'll get some free game play, or your money back, its not like they're going to award you millions of dollars. You have to prove that it ruined your life and that you can never work again or something like that if you want the big bucks.

BladeX
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Apr 2006, 1:56 am

I know that this really depends on the court but the TOS may also pose an issue since there's usually a "Our service is not guaranteed to be available all the time blah blah" clause in it.

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2006, 6:57 am

Yeah, WoW's TOS is one giant abdication of responsibility. Suing would get you nowhere.

Stallion_72
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Apr 2006, 12:06 am

Sueing a game company because you can't logon to your server is ridiculously stupid. If you want to look like an as*hole go ahead. If everyone who had problems playing WoW sued the company, Blizzard would go bankrupt and there would be no more WoW, Starcraft, Warcraft, or anything other games they have planned to make. Use some common sense. Either pick another server or stop paying till they get their servers fixed. Yeah it sucks paying money everyone month and having problems with your server, but you can't expect them to keep up with every single problem. They are working their asses off over at Blizzard. With all your wisdom it could simply be a problem with your computer or your ISP. I get so tired of reading these whiny ass posts from people who think they have a right to sue Blizzard because they couldn't log on at 5 AM in the morning. I never had a problem with the game, not once. If logging on is the biggest problem in your life right now I'd love to live in your shoes.