you know your kid is a geek when...

Page 6 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

PaintingDiva
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jan 2012, 10:32 am

My son was 'helping' me bake cookies, when he was two or three he had to stand on a stool to be eye level with the counter, I was scooping out flour, and he looked at the spoon and said in this dreamy voice, "mountains"....I thought wow he is right, I never even thought of that.

One time we took him to a museum to see a big Wayne Thiebaud exhibit, we were using the acoustic guide, and he suddenly ran up close to examine a painting. I asked him what are you doing, he said, very seriously, "I am looking for the halo effect of his color rings" which he had heard on the acoustic guide. He was all of eight at the time. Being an art geek, this completely thrilled me.

And when he was five and we were watching the fireworks from a distance, he said, 'it is raining stars'.

I am an artist and he was horrified in High School to learn I never took Calculus or Physics. Frankly I couldn't wait to say good bye to the hard sciences....Somehow he has survived his non math science parents. One time I was joking with him and said, 'Where did you come from?' and he said, 'it must have been a gene hop'.

When I think about it, the grandparents and great grandparents, they were the Math Science tribe. I personally have a goofy theory that generations alternate between the sciences and the arts...

I enjoyed reading these posts :D and a link to Wayne Thiebaud:

smithsonianmag.com