The 11th Doctor and Autistic traits of fictional characters

Page 1 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

redwulf25_ci
Toucan
Toucan

11 May 2010, 3:28 pm

Inspired by a thread at Gallifrey Bay (here http://gallifreybase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50869).

Does the 11th Doctor (the main character of the newest season of Doctor Who for those unfamiliar with the show) display some traits of Asperger's/Autism? Is it somehow offensive to suggest he and other fictional characters do? If not why do so many NT's seem to be leaping to take offense on our behalf?

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 4:19 pm

I can't read that thread unless I sign up, but I've thought that he does seem to have some AS traits but I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere so I never mentioned it either. Thought it might just be me thinking that. I don't know why it would be offensive?

redwulf25_ci
Toucan
Toucan

11 May 2010, 5:19 pm

SamwiseGamgee wrote:
I can't read that thread unless I sign up, but I've thought that he does seem to have some AS traits but I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere so I never mentioned it either. Thought it might just be me thinking that. I don't know why it would be offensive?

Yeah, it was the fact that so many people said "That's offensive to autistic people!" that interested me the most. That and the fact that it's the neurotypicals saying it. I only saw one person who identified as autistic disagree and even he didn't seem offended, just disagreeing.

Edit: The reason one NT gave that noting "Hey these traits of the 11th Doctor are similar to those found in Autistics!" was "offensive to autistic people" was that . . .

Quote:
The reason is was slightly offensive to people with autism, is because it's like seeing
someone with a small cough and shouting "YOU HAVE A LUNG DISEASE - YOUR GONNA DIE!"

Which seems far more offensive that the post I'm supposed to be offended by.

Considering it's the the NT's taking offense on our behalf that's my primary interest here I wonder if I have the right sub-forum/thread title to get the replies I want . . .

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 6:01 pm

The Doctor is an alien. Of course he's going to act kind of "off."

Basperger
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 May 2010, 6:09 pm

I've seen the classic Dr. Who's (running from 1963), all doctors have autistic traits IMO. The Doctor is all about logic, reason, honesty and thinking of original solutions to problems.

And the remark from Delirium hit it spot on: he's alien...

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 8:21 pm

i dont see how you can apply a fictional being who has evolution backgrounds separate from humans

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2010, 3:26 am

the closest I ever thought the Doctor ever came to being anything like us was #3, Jon Pertwee; he could be very wacky at times, but was mostly a very serious, no-nonsense Doctor.

In fact, in the 5 Doctors 20th Anniversary Special, he is not brought to Gallifrey with companions; just by himself in Bessie; that screams of the Autistic loner type.

also #7, Sylvester McCoy, was considerably like us too, I think.

I still think the greatest representation of how I actually view myself is from a very powerful and classic scene from the 10th Doctor storyarc "The Family of Blood/Human Nature"; you probably know the scene I speak of :)

SilverPikmin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 May 2010, 2:07 pm

The Eleventh Doctor seems to be a bit ruder than the previous two--I've noticed him seeming to interrupt and not listen to his companions. I don't know if that's intentional or not, or even any different from before. Anyway, maybe that's why they think he has autistic traits.

And I don't really have a problem with people asking questions like this. I can't really understand why it'd be considered offensive--maybe it's just because it's somewhat taboo to talk about people's mental illnesses.

crazyplane15
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 May 2010, 8:52 pm

Shame on me for not being a Doctor Who fan, but if this is a thread about Aspie characters in fiction then why not bring up Sherlock Holmes? The guy practicaly had AS before anyone knew it exsited!

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 10:27 pm

crazyplane15 wrote:
Shame on me for not being a Doctor Who fan, but if this is a thread about Aspie characters in fiction then why not bring up Sherlock Holmes? The guy practicaly had AS before anyone knew it exsited!

ya think so?

redwulf25_ci
Toucan
Toucan

23 May 2010, 11:38 am

crazyplane15 wrote:

Mostly because it was inspired by a thread on a Doctor Who forum where someone who themselves says they have "autistic traits" (don't know if they consider themselves fully autistic or have a diagnosis) said "Hey this portrayal of the Doctor seems to have a few autistic traits." and then a bunch of NT's jumped in and said "Hey, that's offensive to autistic people."

Oddly enough they never accurately explained to those of who asked why we should be offended what was so offensive about it.

redwulf25_ci
Toucan
Toucan

23 May 2010, 11:39 am

Double post. Got an odd error message first time I posted.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 4:00 pm

As someone who likes her fiction with a side order of Epileptic Trees, I have to say, seeing someone with a small cough and deciding they have "a lung disease" (well, duh, why else were they coughing?) which will prove fatal is completely reasonable. Actually, more than reasonable.

Seriously, someone please tell that person that:
1. Autism is not fatal.
2. People on the spectrum do not find it offensive.
3. Sounds like Asperger's.
4. I'm allowed to think what I want about my fiction. It's called freedom of speech. It's guaranteed by the First, and just because a Brit Twit like you doesn't know what that means doesn't mean you get to tell me what theories are and aren't PC enough for you. Especially you don't get to tell actual autistics to be offended. After all, it might hasten our end. From, you know, that terrible fatal disease we have.

This is the same problem with people who won't make jokes about the Holocaust. Seriously. It's done. It's fair game, okay? Hitler was just a guy. The Holocaust was just a genocide.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 9:43 pm

DandelionFireworks wrote:
As someone who likes her fiction with a side order of Epileptic Trees, I have to say, seeing someone with a small cough and deciding they have "a lung disease" (well, duh, why else were they coughing?) which will prove fatal is completely reasonable. Actually, more than reasonable.

1. Autism is not fatal.
4. I'm allowed to think what I want about my fiction. It's called freedom of speech. It's guaranteed by the First, and just because a Brit Twit like you doesn't know what that means doesn't mean you get to tell me what theories are and aren't PC enough for you. Especially you don't get to tell actual autistics to be offended. After all, it might hasten our end. From, you know, that terrible fatal disease we have.

This is the same problem with people who won't make jokes about the Holocaust. Seriously. It's done. It's fair game, okay? Hitler was just a guy. The Holocaust was just a genocide.

The scary thing is I may be the only one alive who will easily back you on that statement about the Holocaust ':B-)

Basperger
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 May 2010, 12:14 am

TheDoctor82 wrote:
DandelionFireworks wrote:

1. Autism is not fatal.

The scary thing is I may be the only one alive who will easily back you on that statement about the Holocaust ':B-)

I find it absurd to keep looking back to the holocaust as if it was the only genocide, people die in genocides every day.

And YES, we should make jokes about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCn7Xk_6sb8

Arachne
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 May 2010, 11:39 am

This is my first post so I hope I don't trip over myself.
I am currently in a thought loop about this exact discussion, well the fact that we may be aliens.
I'm going to throw my theory out there and see what sticks!

It is my personal belief that we as autistics are the next evolutionary step in human development, (now whether that is the result of aliens seeding DNA over the four corners of the globe or the process of evolution we might never know) and because we as a society have reached a "Global" scale that DNA now has the opportunity to express itself, how many Aspies on here are of mixed genetic heritage? Is that why the Rates Of "AUTISM" are accelerating, is it the natural byproduct of the activation of the homo sapiens BOX Gene?

We are from what I can asses from reading ENDLESS testimonials and stories from other Aspies, more suited to a different environment than the one we were born in. Do we belong on another planet, or are we just the natural evolutionary step to adapting to THIS one. With Inevitable climate change and a possible "meltdown" of "normal" society, are we just kind of waiting in the wings for our genetic predecessors to kill each other off in an overly emotional burst of Panic? Leaving this planet as solely our responsibility.

We communicate in a way that requires a much more sensitive approach to our environment and our lack of emotional "HANGUPS" that slow down "normal" people. Lack of emotional control is a limitation in my opinion and we as Aspies seem to only lose our cool when confronted with an illogical emotional response by someone who is not capable of thinking on a Global Scale. We as aspies don't have any difficulties comprehending things like 4th and 5th dimensional states ( at least the ones I've met) because we don't think in a linear way.

I would love to hear some feedback on this if there are like minds for the discussion.

WE ARE TIME LORDS, we just haven't figured out how to build our Tardis, YET. :?: