The 11th Doctor and Autistic traits of fictional characters

Page 3 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,808
Location: not here

28 May 2010, 8:47 am

Basperger wrote:
If you want to be an NT you need it, but I have Asperger's and proud of it.

A change in genetic structure is evolution.


Yes, because if I think that social skills are important, I must clearly want to be NT. :roll:

Guess what? Most of the f*****g world is NT, and you need social skills to function. If you don't want to learn basic social skills, either start an Asperger's separatist commune or go live as a hermit.


_________________
I don't post here anymore. If you want to talk to me, go to the WP Facebook group or my Last.fm account.


Basperger
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2010
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 175

28 May 2010, 6:09 pm

There are social skills and social skills.

To me social means being nice and honest to each other and if you don't like someone, don't hang out with them.
For NT's social means gathering an entire army of brown-noses, lie to each other and call it fun.

That's not my idea of social.

And I don't feel the need to be a hermit, just once in a while, I'm not afraid of showing myself to those deceptive bastards.



TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,410
Location: Sandusky, Ohio

28 May 2010, 6:20 pm

Basperger wrote:
There are social skills and social skills.

To me social means being nice and honest to each other and if you don't like someone, don't hang out with them.
For NT's social means gathering an entire army of brown-noses, lie to each other and call it fun.

That's not my idea of social.

And I don't feel the need to be a hermit, just once in a while, I'm not afraid of showing myself to those deceptive bastards.


I do have to agree with this, especially considering its been noted on here that society is pretty much based on lies, deception, and tolerating crappy behavior otherwise everything would go to hell.....



Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,808
Location: not here

28 May 2010, 7:16 pm

Basperger wrote:
There are social skills and social skills.

To me social means being nice and honest to each other and if you don't like someone, don't hang out with them.
For NT's social means gathering an entire army of brown-noses, lie to each other and call it fun.

That's not my idea of social.

And I don't feel the need to be a hermit, just once in a while, I'm not afraid of showing myself to those deceptive bastards.


Um, social skills in the NT world have the same meaning as your definition of social. And while a lot of NT's are assholes, I've met plenty of people with Asperger's who are douchebags as well. Also, one of the biggest ass-kissers I've ever met in my life had Asperger's. Being an ass-kissing jerk is not exclusive to NTs.

If you want to shut yourself off from others because you think they'll wrong you, then be my guest. Nobody will miss you. I, on the other hand, want to have a girlfriend, some kids, and a job, and if I want any of those, I'll need social skills.


_________________
I don't post here anymore. If you want to talk to me, go to the WP Facebook group or my Last.fm account.


TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,410
Location: Sandusky, Ohio

28 May 2010, 7:33 pm

Delirium wrote:
Basperger wrote:
There are social skills and social skills.

To me social means being nice and honest to each other and if you don't like someone, don't hang out with them.
For NT's social means gathering an entire army of brown-noses, lie to each other and call it fun.

That's not my idea of social.

And I don't feel the need to be a hermit, just once in a while, I'm not afraid of showing myself to those deceptive bastards.


Um, social skills in the NT world have the same meaning as your definition of social. And while a lot of NT's are assholes, I've met plenty of people with Asperger's who are douchebags as well. Also, one of the biggest ass-kissers I've ever met in my life had Asperger's. Being an ass-kissing jerk is not exclusive to NTs.

If you want to shut yourself off from others because you think they'll wrong you, then be my guest. Nobody will miss you. I, on the other hand, want to have a girlfriend, some kids, and a job, and if I want any of those, I'll need social skills.


I don't think it's about being douchebags or not; I'm an as*hole and have no regrets about it...but I'm not gonna lie and pretend that I'm not one; that's the big difference. To top it off, when the NT is a douchebag, his/her friends will do everything in their power to "sweep it under the rug" which I think is what Basperger was trying to say. It's not that they're better or anything, it's that the illusion is presented that they are.

I see social skills as somewhat a form of compensation for NTs, due to their inability to comprehend more advanced levels of logic and thought, at least at this point in evolution.

Yes, I believe almost all of us in the community has the ability to comprehend that higher level of logic and thought, but unfortunately are "drinking the Kool-Aid" out of desperation to fit in and be liked, which of course doesn't really help them in any way.

I have social skills, but they're overly poor, yet I have little issue functioning in the world of NTs, as rather than bemoan myself for the traits I don't have, I embrace what I do have, and let my positive attributes shine.

Trying to fit in on their terms won't work because ours brains aren't wired to fit in.

Do remember that both NTs and Autistics have high functioning members of their communities and low functioning members of their communities. You may think even a lower functioning member of the NT community can still function better in society than we can, but that depends how you look at it, considering that society is designed with NTs in mind.

If society were designed with Autistic folks in mind, there's a high possibility that folks even heavier on the Autism spectrum would thrive in ways currently that low functioning NTs appear to.



Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,808
Location: not here

28 May 2010, 9:32 pm

TheDoctor82 wrote:
To top it off, when the NT is a douchebag, his/her friends will do everything in their power to "sweep it under the rug" which I think is what Basperger was trying to say. It's not that they're better or anything, it's that the illusion is presented that they are.


Because all NTs are evil, and people with Asperger's are totally awesome and the sun shines out of their asses. :roll:

Quote:
I see social skills as somewhat a form of compensation for NTs, due to their inability to comprehend more advanced levels of logic and thought, at least at this point in evolution.


There are plenty of NTs who can understand more advanced levels of logic and thought.

Quote:
Yes, I believe almost all of us in the community has the ability to comprehend that higher level of logic and thought, but unfortunately are "drinking the Kool-Aid" out of desperation to fit in and be liked, which of course doesn't really help them in any way.


I'm "drinking the Kool-Aid" because most of the world is NT, and it's not going to change for me.

Quote:
Trying to fit in on their terms won't work because ours brains aren't wired to fit in.


So you never took a social skills class...?

Quote:
Do remember that both NTs and Autistics have high functioning members of their communities and low functioning members of their communities. You may think even a lower functioning member of the NT community can still function better in society than we can, but that depends how you look at it, considering that society is designed with NTs in mind.

If society were designed with Autistic folks in mind, there's a high possibility that folks even heavier on the Autism spectrum would thrive in ways currently that low functioning NTs appear to.


Duh and/or hello. That's because the society would accommodate autistic people and most people are NT.


_________________
I don't post here anymore. If you want to talk to me, go to the WP Facebook group or my Last.fm account.


TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,410
Location: Sandusky, Ohio

28 May 2010, 9:48 pm

Delirium wrote:
TheDoctor82 wrote:
To top it off, when the NT is a douchebag, his/her friends will do everything in their power to "sweep it under the rug" which I think is what Basperger was trying to say. It's not that they're better or anything, it's that the illusion is presented that they are.


Because all NTs are evil, and people with Asperger's are totally awesome and the sun shines out of their asses. :roll:

Quote:
I see social skills as somewhat a form of compensation for NTs, due to their inability to comprehend more advanced levels of logic and thought, at least at this point in evolution.


There are plenty of NTs who can understand more advanced levels of logic and thought.

Quote:
Yes, I believe almost all of us in the community has the ability to comprehend that higher level of logic and thought, but unfortunately are "drinking the Kool-Aid" out of desperation to fit in and be liked, which of course doesn't really help them in any way.


I'm "drinking the Kool-Aid" because most of the world is NT, and it's not going to change for me.

Quote:
Trying to fit in on their terms won't work because ours brains aren't wired to fit in.


So you never took a social skills class...?

Quote:
Do remember that both NTs and Autistics have high functioning members of their communities and low functioning members of their communities. You may think even a lower functioning member of the NT community can still function better in society than we can, but that depends how you look at it, considering that society is designed with NTs in mind.

If society were designed with Autistic folks in mind, there's a high possibility that folks even heavier on the Autism spectrum would thrive in ways currently that low functioning NTs appear to.


Duh and/or hello. That's because the society would accommodate autistic people and most people are NT.



So you think by trying to fit in, and be something you're not, that your life will automatically be better in a world populated mostly by NTs--at least at the moment? Really?

You just proved then that society doesn't accommodate people who are Autistic, negating your final point.

I never said I didn't take courses; but one thing I always picked up after having them was that it just didn't seem to matter; no matter what I did, it was just never enough, cause NTs could always tell something was off, and I never felt any better about myself. It came down to I was trying to be someone I wasn't; it didn't make my life any better I assure you.

Before you jump to NTs understanding higher levels of logic and thought, you gotta stop drinking the Kool-Aid, as you admit you're still doing, cause as long as you try to fit in, you won't even realize what those higher levels of understanding even are. To a point, it goes beyond even the knowledge of Einstein and Tesla, just to give you an idea.

I never said all NTs are evil; while I do think the majority have a high capability for massive corruption--although I never said all Autistic folks were perfect--I'm saying that most people may be looking at Autism entirely in the wrong way; and considering they're only now realizing certain things about the Autistic mind that they missed before, that's not entirely out of possibility.

If you want to keep trying to fit in, and be someone you're not, vying desperately for their acceptance, be my guest. It matters little to me. As long as you do though, you'll get pulled in by every single emotion-based scam that comes along, taking sides in pointless battles.

One other thing though: if you're going to argue your point, please offer me something better than what I'd be hearing from either a high school teacher trying to convince me to conform, or a wise-ass early adult. All of your points I've also already heard a thousand times from virtually everyone else here.



Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,808
Location: not here

28 May 2010, 10:39 pm

TheDoctor82 wrote:
So you think by trying to fit in, and be something you're not, that your life will automatically be better in a world populated mostly by NTs--at least at the moment? Really?


I've developed social skills over the years.

Quote:
I never said I didn't take courses; but one thing I always picked up after having them was that it just didn't seem to matter; no matter what I did, it was just never enough, cause NTs could always tell something was off, and I never felt any better about myself. It came down to I was trying to be someone I wasn't; it didn't make my life any better I assure you.


Well then, it sucks to be you.

Quote:
Before you jump to NTs understanding higher levels of logic and thought, you gotta stop drinking the Kool-Aid, as you admit you're still doing, cause as long as you try to fit in, you won't even realize what those higher levels of understanding even are. To a point, it goes beyond even the knowledge of Einstein and Tesla, just to give you an idea.


b***h, please. Having Asperger's doesn't give you any sort of higher knowledge.

Quote:
I never said all NTs are evil; while I do think the majority have a high capability for massive corruption--although I never said all Autistic folks were perfect--I'm saying that most people may be looking at Autism entirely in the wrong way; and considering they're only now realizing certain things about the Autistic mind that they missed before, that's not entirely out of possibility.


That's because autism is becoming more and more diagnosed. If more people are diagnosed with it, doctors have more of a sample size. Film at eleven.

Quote:
If you want to keep trying to fit in, and be someone you're not, vying desperately for their acceptance, be my guest. It matters little to me. As long as you do though, you'll get pulled in by every single emotion-based scam that comes along, taking sides in pointless battles.

One other thing though: if you're going to argue your point, please offer me something better than what I'd be hearing from either a high school teacher trying to convince me to conform, or a wise-ass early adult. All of your points I've also already heard a thousand times from virtually everyone else here.


And if you want to come off as a socially awkward putz, therefore losing friends and alienating people, then knock yourself out. Just don't complain when no one wants to be around you.


_________________
I don't post here anymore. If you want to talk to me, go to the WP Facebook group or my Last.fm account.


mesona
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 29 May 2010
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 469

01 Jun 2010, 11:39 am

Delirium wrote:
Basperger wrote:
Evolution comes with trial and error, sometimes evolution gets it right in just one generation and sometimes it takes several generations, maybe we are just the beginning. And do we really need social skills, it only clouds your judgement.


Yes, you do need social skills, unless you're planning on going into the woods and living off of the land. If you want a job, a significant other, or friends, you need to have social skills. Hell, going out in public requires at least some basic social skills.

Having Asperger's doesn't make you a special snowflake, and nobody is the next stage in human evolution. Get over it.

Ouch. I am not sure if your a NT or not. Think about it this way. If everyone was an Aspie, Then the friends around you like what you like and if they have a problem with what you said they will call you on it. the person your dating wont drop hints about what they are thinking or what they want to do. everyone will use words. You wont need to guess if the people you are with want you around or not. Facts will be facts and not just points of view. This site was MADE for people that are unable to read or use social skills. This topic is about the 11th Doctor and if he might be an aspie.

I do think he is an aspie. Not because he is alien. (just look at the Master he is a alien and look what he did) but because of the food bit. (who else but an aspie would think it would be okay to have a little girl cook you a feast and toss it out?) and the Duck pond.



Blasterx343
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2010
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 77

02 Jun 2010, 8:50 pm

The earlier Doctor's showed much more "Autistic" traits, the common fictional characters given the aspie or autistic label are Artemis Fowl and that boy from the "Evil Genius" series (read the book before anyone starts on the mad scientist stereotype).

With the theory of Autism being an evoloutionary path, it is possible but we are still human, the social skills are only needed so that the NT's can cooperate. This does not make them bad or unnecessary, if we Aspies were to start a society I predict it would topple in about 3 days from every one arguing. Social skills are necessary at least to act as a buffer between people.

And Evolution is not always about overall superiority it is more often about specialising, finding the niche that fits us perfectly and makes us succesful. A NT will always be the more successful in social situations, but most of us have something at which we can run rings around NTs at, wether it is special interests, maths or other parts of science or even arts (as in the UNIVERSITY sense, history, languages etc.).
This means that if it is evolution to be an aspie it is not necessarily an overall advantage but a specialisation that makes us better at some things and lousy at others.



Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,808
Location: not here

03 Jun 2010, 12:33 pm

mesona wrote:
Delirium wrote:
Basperger wrote:
Evolution comes with trial and error, sometimes evolution gets it right in just one generation and sometimes it takes several generations, maybe we are just the beginning. And do we really need social skills, it only clouds your judgement.


Yes, you do need social skills, unless you're planning on going into the woods and living off of the land. If you want a job, a significant other, or friends, you need to have social skills. Hell, going out in public requires at least some basic social skills.

Having Asperger's doesn't make you a special snowflake, and nobody is the next stage in human evolution. Get over it.

Ouch. I am not sure if your a NT or not. Think about it this way. If everyone was an Aspie, Then the friends around you like what you like and if they have a problem with what you said they will call you on it. the person your dating wont drop hints about what they are thinking or what they want to do. everyone will use words. You wont need to guess if the people you are with want you around or not. Facts will be facts and not just points of view. This site was MADE for people that are unable to read or use social skills. This topic is about the 11th Doctor and if he might be an aspie.


Actually, I have Asperger's and was diagnosed by a professional. However, my parents always stressed that even though I have Asperger's, I should at least make an effort to have social skills because it's hard to get ahead in life without them. If everyone in the world had Asperger's, it would be a really boring place to live, just like if everyone in the world was NT, it would also be boring.

And you have to develop social skills sometime. You can't live your entire life in front of the computer.

Quote:
I do think he is an aspie. Not because he is alien. (just look at the Master he is a alien and look what he did) but because of the food bit. (who else but an aspie would think it would be okay to have a little girl cook you a feast and toss it out?) and the Duck pond.


Time Lords are aliens. Judging an alien by human mental standards is ridiculous.


_________________
I don't post here anymore. If you want to talk to me, go to the WP Facebook group or my Last.fm account.


Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Dec 2009
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,016

03 Jun 2010, 12:36 pm

The latest Doctor (played by Matt Smith) does come across as quite socially inept to me.

He's also generally weird, but all the Doctors are.



Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,808
Location: not here

03 Jun 2010, 4:43 pm

O hay, look what popped up on Fandom Secrets today:
Image

I still don't think he's autistic (because, uh, he's an alien), but a lot of people with Asperger's/HFA said they could relate to him in the comments section.


_________________
I don't post here anymore. If you want to talk to me, go to the WP Facebook group or my Last.fm account.


redwulf25_ci
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 13 Feb 2010
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 263
Location: Michigan

03 Jun 2010, 5:43 pm

Delirium wrote:
O hay, look what popped up on Fandom Secrets today:
Image

I still don't think he's autistic (because, uh, he's an alien), but a lot of people with Asperger's/HFA said they could relate to him in the comments section.


Were they immediately pounce on by NT's "defending" the autistic community because the statement was somehow offensive to autistics? That reaction in the thread I linked to was what I intended the thread to be about.



Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,808
Location: not here

03 Jun 2010, 6:35 pm

redwulf25_ci wrote:
Delirium wrote:
O hay, look what popped up on Fandom Secrets today:
Image

I still don't think he's autistic (because, uh, he's an alien), but a lot of people with Asperger's/HFA said they could relate to him in the comments section.


Were they immediately pounce on by NT's "defending" the autistic community because the statement was somehow offensive to autistics? That reaction in the thread I linked to was what I intended the thread to be about.


No, not really. Basically, the detractors pointed out that diagnosing an alien with a human condition is illogical.


_________________
I don't post here anymore. If you want to talk to me, go to the WP Facebook group or my Last.fm account.