do aspies or other autistics develop psychotic episodes?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 10:08 pm

pumibel wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:
According to this shrink social services forced me and my adoptive parents to see, I was as a toddler because I was unable to seperate fantasy from reality and supposedly thought I was fictional characters instead of myself. But then according to him, my adoptive mother was responsible for my behaviors becuase she was cold to me and someother Bettlehiem BS.

I thought they had done away with the "refrigerator mother" crap by then? That would have been less than 20 years ago, right? Sounds like someone didn't follow their continuing education plan. :roll:

Things like that don't go away instantly, where every professional learns something all at once. About 15 years ago I saw a psych textbook that used a Bettelheim case study to teach about autism. About the same time period I was sent to a residential treatment facility that took away my autism diagnosis among others, and told my parents I had been psychotic since infancy, schizophrenic since childhood, and that my mother made me that way by the way she acted when I was a baby. This was 1996. And to this day there are still people who haven't caught on yet and continue to argue that autism has this cause.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 6:54 am

I had quite the episode, the summer of 98.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 4:35 pm

Autism and depression are completely different things. Most of the time depression holds hands with autism because the individual doesn't feel he/she is coping very well with being that much more sensitive and anxious than people without autism.

Depression usually comes with anxiety, and Autistics and Aspies are commonly known to have high anxiety levels, which can lead to depression, but this isn't always the case. Some can be anxious but not have depression, yet get days where they feel a bit low and anxious about things, but then again lots and lots of people suffer from this.

Depression is a mental condition what anybody can develop - even people without many responsibilities. Even some outgoing people can find themselves in a state of depression and anxiety. So it doesn't always mean ''if you have high levels anxiety then you have Aspergers'' because that isn't the case. The point is that people with AS or Autism can experience depression or anxiety due to the lack of social skills or confidence. Then again, people without this can experience depression due to shyness and lack of confidence.

It all depends on the individual. Some Aspies don't even get depressed or anxious very much.

Someone like me, however, leads a very hard life because I'm not very bright, and most Aspies are said to be bright. I got low grades in maths and science, and I loved art and music but I ended up getting low grades in them aswell. I just did not do well at school, no matter how hard I studied and concentrated and tried. So I haven't got the right social skills, nor a very good list of qualifications on my resumé. So it's more difficult for me.