Page 1 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 4:01 am

I read in another post that most aspies receive SSI, and nobody refuted it. Is this true?

carltcwc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 May 2010, 4:07 am

Depends on the severity of the symptoms and if there are additional diagnoses. I was approved for ssi medically but I have not started recieving it because of other complications which I wont get into right now.

SeaMonkey
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 May 2010, 4:11 am

Whats SSI?

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 4:33 am

SeaMonkey wrote:
Whats SSI?

My thought too ... so I googled it.

Seems to be an American thing called "Supplemental Security Income" as noted in Wikipedia here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supplement ... ity_Income

So the answer is "No". I am employed full time in IT-related work (web developer, computer programmer, number cruncher).

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 May 2010, 5:11 am

I have some experience with SSI but I have some other disabilities as well inducing vision & a tremor disorder. SSI had listed AS as my primary disability. Last summer it switched to Social Security Disability because I had some jobs sense I started SSI & when Social Security looked over all my medical records; they sent me to a psych cuz they wer not sure of my AS diagnoses. I had seen other docs after I started SSI who said I had a personality disorder instead of AS. I'm not sure if AS qualifies for SSI alone but if you have any other physical conditions or mental diagnoses you should let the gov know if/when you apply. I know that some people who have other mental things in addition to AS can qualify depending on severity. like Dyslexia, ADHD, depression ect. If the person had a history of having major problems in school with learning or behavior; it's easier to qualify

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

carltcwc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 May 2010, 5:29 am

Hey Nick. I had a question if you dont mind anwsering. you said you have a tremor disorder. I have unexplained hand tremors. Ive noticed you seem to have some similar symptoms as me so I was wondering what your tremor disorder is caused by because it might explain my own. Is it autism related? Mine are just in my hands. They started in my late teens. Thanks

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 May 2010, 5:54 am

carltcwc wrote:
Hey Nick. I had a question if you dont mind anwsering. you said you have a tremor disorder. I have unexplained hand tremors. Ive noticed you seem to have some similar symptoms as me so I was wondering what your tremor disorder is caused by because it might explain my own. Is it autism related? Mine are just in my hands. They started in my late teens. Thanks

What I have is something called "Essential Tremors" they affect my hands & my voice sometimes when I'm nervous, stressed ect. It's kind of similar to Parkinsons except they can occur when I'm active at times instead of resting. They can also be affected by meds. The mental meds made mine worse. I think it's a genetic thing but I think most people affected start noticing it latter in life but some are born with it. You can look up the International Essential Tremor Foundation for more info. If your on any meds; I would recommend talking to those docs incase the meds could be affecting it. If you or anyone else wants more info on this or anything; feel free to PM me. I don't mind :D

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

carltcwc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 May 2010, 6:03 am

I was told by my neurologist that mine are parkinsonian tremors, but I dont have parkinsons. Theyve been there constantly since I was about 16 or so. Not sure exactly what year. They slowly developed. Meds do make them worse but their not medicine induced. I dont notice my hands shake if Im moving them but when I hold my hands still they are shaky. I believe they are a either a symptom of autistic catatonia, which I have some symptoms of but probablly do not meet the full diagnostic criteria, or they are caused by my subarachnoid cyst. It could be something else too though. My mom said she got them as a teenager and they went away when she got pregnant with me when she was 39. The autism gene comes from my dads side of the family though. If I genetically inherited them from my mom they are not caused from aspergers or the cyst because the cyst is likely not genetic. However there seems to be a psychosis gene on my moms side of the family but I haven't heard of psychosis causing tremors except for being caused by the medication used to treat psychosis. There are no known cases of parkinsons disease on either side of my family and I highly doubt I am getting parkinson's.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 6:45 am

I get no disability here in Canada for having AS of course, never pursued it either. Likely wouldn't get it due to being "high functioning".

TheDeviantOne

17 May 2010, 8:31 am

I do, although I'm not entirely sure of it's because of solely having AS or something else that I'm unaware of. They may have granted it to me based on the social troubles that I tend to have.

The Internet; human stupidity at its finest...

Schizotypes
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 May 2010, 9:51 am

I'm in the Washington DC area. I wouldn't qualify for it though I am at what is considered the "poverty level" The reason why is that I hold two jobs, working as a school bus driver and a pizza driver. They key thing here is that I work. No Doctor has said my functionality is bad enough to the point of qualification for it. Personally i think the requirements are a joke, trying to talk to the social services department, well you need to to write certified letters just to get a hold of them. They don't answer the phones, it may as well be voice recognition software are an Indian person in Calcutta on the other end who already has his mind made up on what your problem is before you finish explaining it. Then when the call goes through they are speaking Spanish so you thought you called the Dept. of Social Services and not Mexico City.

Social Services, yeah good luck with that! LOL! Pathetic! :thumbdown:

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 9:58 am

I thought you mean SSRI :lol:

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 10:32 am

Not yet but I'm working on it.......I would appear to pass what they call the "cooking test" for Disability Living Allowance but so far all they'll say is "you do not need help to cook a main meal" :? Fact is, I couldn't cook a main meal to save my life. Curiously, on their reply it clearly says that if I want a full explanation of why they have come to this conclusion, all I have to do is request one. But when I did request one, they replied (eventually) to say that there was no information about that and that the next step would have to be an appeal.......but how can I knock holes in their case when they won't tell me why they made that decision? All they seem able to say is that I can't have any money, with no detail at all. :evil: Everything they say would seem designed to demoralise and discourage the applicant.

They've also insisted on repeatedly trying to contact me by phone in spite of my express instructions that my preferred mode of communication is in writing. :lol: If these people understand Aspergers' Syndrome, I'll eat my shorts. I'd write again telling them what I think of their performance, but I don't want to go and blurt anything out that could affect my case adversely, and the Citizen's Advice Bureau is virtually impossible to contact these days. The system isn't working. :evil:

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 11:28 am

I'm on SSI. Never worked a day in my young life. I really wish that would change. I would feel much better about myself if I earned my own money instead of using taxpayer's.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 11:34 am

I don't, and I have some (what you could call debilitating) medical problems as well. I applied for it once, (not because of AS) and was turned down. Haven't bothered applying for it again. My mom's patients with AS aren't on SSI that I'm aware, just the kids that are severely incapacitated...like one that is severely cognitively delayed, has cerebal palsy, and has LFA as well.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 12:54 pm

I'm on it. In Canada, it's called PWMD, which stands for People With Multiple Disabilities. It's like the American source of income. I do have multiple disabilities. AS, Depression and incontinence. I'm allowed to make $500 a month, in terms of employment. I make $350.