Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SeaMonkey
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 May 2010, 12:20 pm

I'm prescribed dexedrine. Its brilliant. It doesn't do anything to autism in fact I have way more autism symptoms when I'm on the stuff such as tics that I only had as a little kid, even worse social skills and compulsion to repeat a task over and over again + reluctance to change tasks. I wasn't prescribed the stuff for autism though I was prescribed it for my ADHD symptoms and it works well for that it seems to tranquilize me to the point where I can sit in one spot for 24 hours straight doing the same task and I have no compulsion to multitask at all I just stick to one task until I get it done. For this reason I have to choose my task wisely because sometimes I'll start doing something other than learning such as building websites and once I get started I cant stop. What about all of you? Have you been prescribed meds for anything related to your autism?

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 12:31 pm

No, I don't even think its even necessary to have meds for autism, it would be practically impossible and its something not to be healed, I just think its a gift imo.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 1:08 pm

I'm prescribed Xanax for anxiety, Lexapro for OCD/depression and Risperidone for psychosis. None of them do anything for my autism, although Xanax does lessen the severity of meltdowns.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 1:11 pm

If you have any comorbid conditions, you might want medication. I have pretty severe anxiety, so I take BuSpar, which works wonderfully, but no drug can treat your autism and if there were one that did, I would not take it.

SeaMonkey

17 May 2010, 1:35 pm

Yeah I wouldn't wanna be neurotypical either. I think my natural talent for thinking outside the box as well as putting my knowledge together to make new things is directly related to high functioning autism.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 1:41 pm

I'm prescribed meds, for my Depression and Psychosis, but not for my autism.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 2:06 pm

Just for anxiety. I was on so called anti depressents and they did nothing.

SeaMonkey

17 May 2010, 2:26 pm

Lots of people here with anxiety. Any of you tried GHB? I'm not suggesting anyone do anything illegal but that substance happens to be fairly easy to make.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 2:47 pm

I'm on meds for something else.

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 2:52 pm

I'm on medication for another condition as well. I haven't seen them affect my AS behaviours at all.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 3:25 pm

I am on Adderall, and it does not affect my AS symptoms, and really only has a limited impact on my ADD symptoms...I also have colonzapam..generic colonopin....to take when needed as I only have occasional bouts of Anxiety associated with having to be around other people,,,,or riding in cars :?

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 4:46 pm

Dots wrote:
I'm on medication for another condition as well. I haven't seen them affect my AS behaviours at all.
I've only just been getting used to my AS behaviours, now I'm having to reassess them, because at least some of them might be due to a comorbid. I wouldn't know if my current meds help my AS, all I know is that they mess up my sleeping pattern.

Technikilor
Toucan
Toucan

17 May 2010, 4:54 pm

I was prescribed a drug called fluvoxamine, but it made everything in my life 3 times worse than it already was (so if anyone is reading this and considering taking it, don't, unless you're very cautious).

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 5:00 pm

Medications will affect each person differently. I will never take Zoloft again because of some unbearable side effects I experienced while taking it, but I know several people who have had success with the same medication. I agree that all medication should be taken with some amount of caution but that sometimes it can make such a difference that it's worth keeping an open mind. What doesn't work for me could help someone else immensely.

--Abbie Hoffman

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 5:08 pm

Zoloft is prozac, right? I enjoyed it for a while, since it stopped me compulsively thinking about sex all the time. (This was something that would bother me infrequently, but when it did it was crippling, and I wouldn't leave the house.) Unfortunately, though it helped in that one way, it sent me off on a completely bonkers hyper tangent, and I nearly ended up in hospital.

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 5:18 pm

mgran wrote:
Zoloft is prozac, right? I enjoyed it for a while, since it stopped me compulsively thinking about sex all the time. (This was something that would bother me infrequently, but when it did it was crippling, and I wouldn't leave the house.) Unfortunately, though it helped in that one way, it sent me off on a completely bonkers hyper tangent, and I nearly ended up in hospital.

Zoloft is the trade name for Sertraline. Prozac is the trade name for Fluoxetine. They're both Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) though.

--Abbie Hoffman