Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

simon2wright
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 May 2010, 4:15 pm

I take Chlorpromazine for psychotic anxiety and I noticed it is approved for autism, do anyone else take it.
I have read the FDA data sheet and it says it is for treating autism.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2010, 6:02 pm

Its an incredibly old anti psychotic drug, one of the first developed, primarily intended to treat schitzophrenia. It's getting to be 60 years old now.

The only advantage of it over the newer generation of anti psychotics is that its dirt cheap. It's side effects are well documented and researched most doctors would avoid prescribing it here in the UK unless it has been shown that the person only responds to that particular brand of medication. It just has so much negative side effects compared to your atypical neuroleptics and more recently developed drugs.

Rispiridone tends to be used for treating obsessive compulsive behaviour and that tends to be the reason it is prescribed to people on the autistic spectrum

If you've been prescribed Chlorpromazine you must have some serious issues or an increibly crap and unethical doctor

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2010, 11:07 pm

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) is a typical antipsychotic. It works by lowering dopamine (a neurotransmitter assoicated with "want," too much of which can cause psychosis and too little of which can cause depression and lack of normal drives). Side-effects include TD, which consists of tics that stop only when you sleep, as well as tiredness and mental fog. The general consensus is antipsychotics are useless for "treating" autism, but are useful for making otherwise annoying children quiet and sedate ("quiet and sedate" as in "can not muster up the energy to care"). This is done for selfish parents who don't care about their children's well-being, and desperate parents who think autism is like cancer. (Actually, I hate that analogy. Cancer's treatable and generally not very dangerous. A better analogy would be "autism is like terminal cancer that's metastasized to every part of your body." Well, it would be if there were any truth to what the curebies think.)

crazymeds.us has information, and the best part is, they somehow don't get sidetracked complaining that cancer is a bad analogy because it's not bad enough.

Luzhin
Toucan
Toucan

24 May 2010, 11:32 pm

Yea, I remember Thorazine from almost 40 years ago. If they didn't know what was 'wrong' with you at least the drug kept you so lethargic that you didn't bother anyone. Hard to imagine that they still use that stuff.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 10:46 am

This might be a little off the wall, but the drug forms a fancy polynuclear copper complex, I might post a picture of it later

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.