What will you or did you get as a first car [realistically]

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 10:56 am

I'm 16 in two months, and I can only drive at 17, but I've started thinking about what my first car should be already, so now it's become an obsession of mine.

I reckon I'll buy myself a VW Golf Mk3, which is one of these:
[img][650:768]http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy183/codling1234/Old%20mk3%20Golf/S7000240.jpg[/img]

You can get one with a 1.4 engine for no more than a few hundred quid, they tend to be reliable, cheap to insure, yet still quite cool, especially if you do some modifications.

Anyways, what (realistically, not "I want a Bentley" or whatever) do you want or did you get as a first car?

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 11:35 am

My first car was a Maroon coloured 1988 Chrysler LeBaron Convertible. My dad picked it up for like $500 for me as a graduation gift in 06. Ive put alot of work into it to get it running and to stay running. Gonna have to get a new job so I can pay to repaint it though, the clear coat wore off in some spots recently.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 12:37 pm

My first was a Sky Blue 1991 Nissan 240 SX, bought it from my dad. Sadly, had an accident that totaled it about 4 years ago and have since gotten a Cloud White 2000 Toyota Celica (both vehicles are/were manual).

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 12:38 pm

edit: double post

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 12:41 pm

Sports car convertible!! ! I was very image-conscious back then since my social skills weren't pulling me through.

Fiat X1/9 mid-engine hardtop convertible :) Ahhh, the Glory Days.

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 1:57 pm

My parents bought me a 1997 Dodge Stratus for my first car back in January. :)

Kat15
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 2:25 pm

When I was 6. It was a 99 barbie jeep.

ok ok, that does not count, but I Cant drive yet. My mom just bought a new car because her old 16 year old honda accord broke , which she says if she gets it fixed one of these days I can use/have it. It's better then nothin :)

kip
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 3:12 pm

I got a dark blue 2001 Chevy Cavalier. I call it the gutless wonder, or thumper if I'm in it. Cost 2500, something my grandma found me to go to school with. I was trying to get her to buy a ford fiesta for about 800, cheaper. But whatever. Paint's coming off, the interior is about 6 different colours, and she CONSTANTLY needs engine work now, ever since it blew out. Needed the heads re-milled and new gaskets, the works. Only does about 50 going up anything more than a 1.5% grade too, it's horrible. Oh, and the cooling fan only works when it's hardwired to the battery, I'd suppose thats a computer problem.

And yet, I still love that stupid car and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Imagine this car if it came from the ghetto.

EDIT: Oh yea, and it's covered with dents cause the driver door shifted in the frame. Mum's an accident investigator, she thought someone hit me. But nope, car was just having a bad day. So yea... it's got a silver 'stripe' where the door meets the front quarter panel.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

Kat15
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 3:20 pm

kip wrote:
I got a dark blue 2001 Chevy Cavalier. I call it the gutless wonder, or thumper if I'm in it. Cost 2500, something my grandma found me to go to school with. I was trying to get her to buy a ford fiesta for about 800, cheaper. But whatever. Paint's coming off, the interior is about 6 different colours, and she CONSTANTLY needs engine work now, ever since it blew out. Needed the heads re-milled and new gaskets, the works. Only does about 50 going up anything more than a 1.5% grade too, it's horrible. Oh, and the cooling fan only works when it's hardwired to the battery, I'd suppose thats a computer problem.

And yet, I still love that stupid car and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Imagine this car if it came from the ghetto.

EDIT: Oh yea, and it's covered with dents cause the driver door shifted in the frame. Mum's an accident investigator, she thought someone hit me. But nope, car was just having a bad day. So yea... it's got a silver 'stripe' where the door meets the front quarter panel.

Didn't the ford fiesta's just come out recently? they only have 2011's i thought. So how can you get one for $800?

Jpeg
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 May 2010, 3:47 pm

I just got a 2006 Ford Focus a couple weeks ago.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 7:21 pm

A 1981 Chevy Chevette. Ugly, and slow, but it was independent transportation nonetheless!

I recall it had "racing stripes" on the side from the previous owner.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 7:27 pm

My first was a Ford ZX2, it was pretty cool. It got totaled sadly. pic
Second was a Hyundai Accent. It felt like driving a golf cart down the road...I wouldn't recommend one. It ended up being sort of a temporary car. pic
Currently I have a Scion tC. I get a lot of compliments on it...that wasn't the intention, I just wanted a standard transmission car and this one happened to have that. pic

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 May 2010, 6:34 am

I will be given the opportunity to buy my fathers 1997 Oldsmobile 88LS for half of the KBB value upon my turning 16 in two years and 11 days. It looks exactly like the car in the pic. (Slightly less squashed) The air conditioning is not functional.
[img][650:800]http://www.cargurus.com/images/2008/09/17/11/47/pic-58631.jpeg[/img]

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 11:13 am

if i can get a job im hoping my first car will be a bitchin' 69 Camaro hopefully Black

Eldanesh
Toucan
Toucan

12 Dec 2010, 2:50 pm

I'm actually not interested in getting one at all. I think city living plus bus is good enough. That and living on and around campuses for 10 year will probably not necessitate a car. They just seem frivolous considering my lifestyle I guess.

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Dec 2010, 2:51 pm

I am the proud owner of a white 2000 Buick Regal. I absolutely love that car.