Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pandoran-March
Raven
Raven

27 May 2010, 9:12 am

Quote:
Police in NI have said it was "inappropriate" for an officer to play "ice-cream van" music in an attempt to calm youths attacking a vehicle.

Police were called to Glasvey Drive in Twinbrook on 22 May where they passed a group of about 15 youths who began throwing bottles at their vehicle.

A spokesperson for the Police Service of Northern Ireland said: "An officer used the vehicle's tannoy system to play music to the youths in an effort to use humour to defuse the situation.

The youths stopped throwing the bottles. However, police accept that this was not an appropriate action.

Police use Ice Cream Van music to defuse rioters.

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 9:18 am

The officer used original thinking to resolve a potentially dangerous situation quickly and without violence. How is this inappropriate? Angela Nelson needs to get her head out of her nether-regions and reassess her priorities.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 9:24 am

pschristmas wrote:
The officer used original thinking to resolve a potentially dangerous situation quickly and without violence.

(sarcasm)
Yeah, they probably wanted them to go back to rubber bullets and beatings like in the 80's when you could see rioting, violence, destruction of property, fires and the occational death like it used to show Belfast on the news...
(/sarcasm)

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 10:18 am

I used to gripe that creativity and originality were prized in adults, and rewarded as such in their work, while kids were being pressured to all act alike for the convenience of teachers (but then told not to conform to their peers privately... they are treated this way) and to do things the same way all the time...

But I see that there are still plenty of careers in which creativity will get you slapped down. The good news is that the cops are famous for protecting their own, so his "talking to" can't have been very harsh. It's the public statement that ticks me off. "Fear not, citizens, we will discourage all peaceful and irregular attempts to protect you in favor of violent actions that will send a clear message to offenders to be more careful not to get caught and that will bring their wrathful vengeance down upon any and all people who dare to act against them!"

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

Pandoran-March
Raven
Raven

27 May 2010, 10:26 am

I can't help but think it would have been demoralizing for those kids.

"We're rioting! Yeah!! ! And the police response is to play Ice Cream music... Screw this. I'm going home..."

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 10:53 am

I'm off for a holiday there in a couple of weeks...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 12:25 pm

Tequila wrote:

I hope that you have a safe holiday.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 12:50 pm

pschristmas wrote:
The officer used original thinking to resolve a potentially dangerous situation quickly and without violence. How is this inappropriate? Angela Nelson needs to get her head out of her nether-regions and reassess her priorities.

That's just what I was thinking when I saw this. Wouldn't it have been worse to use violence ? :roll:

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 1:44 pm

Pandoran-March wrote:

we need some [ok, a ton] more of that kind of creative "outside the box" thinking this side of the pond, too.

CTBill
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 2:42 pm

Impersonating an ice-cream truck when you don't really have any ice cream should be a capital offense. :twisted:

Pandoran-March
Raven
Raven

27 May 2010, 3:32 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Pandoran-March wrote:

we need some [ok, a ton] more of that kind of creative "outside the box" thinking this side of the pond, too.

Someone over here should offer the guy a job. It's clear the UK doesn't want him. I'll gladly have him in my city. :)

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 4:59 pm

Scream for ice cream topic

Reminds me of that Ally commercial in which one kid did NOT get the ice cream because he was not NEW enough. :lol:

These Belfast teens were too OLD. :P

I once got rid of a guy following me late at night by acting loudly strange. He must have thought I was a complete nut as he left me alone. The same sometimes works with potential animal attacks (bears). If you do something unexpected they may leave you alone. Recently in the news a man fought off an attacking bear in in a rural area not far from where I live using such stealth.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 7:05 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Tequila wrote:

I hope that you have a safe holiday.

It's the tensest time of the year, true, but I'll be safe where I'm going.

greengeek
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jun 2010, 8:18 am

They should also stock up on "Beautiful Music" Recordings and also recordings of songs played in reverse as that might also drive them away or drive them crazy.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 3:43 am

greengeek wrote:
They should also stock up on "Beautiful Music" Recordings and also recordings of songs played in reverse as that might also drive them away or drive them crazy.

ah, the "7-11" solution to the problem of loitering. i have quite a collection of "7-11" music that i find to be relaxing and stimulating.

monsterland
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 4:16 am

Clearly the officer was also known as "The Commish"...