Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 7:21 pm

My Family tricked me. They were all in on it. My mother said she was getting an electronic weedwacker for the weeds. But then she came home with an electronic lawn mower. The sound of the lawn mower hurts me, very very badly, and they all know this. They were all in on this. and push mowing the lawn is one of the ways I get exercise, and they tricked me and ruined everything. and I don't understand why they did this.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 8:26 pm

They probably don't really understand what the sound does to you.

I prefer to mow with a manual rotary mower which is very quiet and peaceful but not so good if the lawn is too big or if you don't keep up on mowing often enough.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

Blaadyblah
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 May 2010, 8:42 pm

Can you ask one of your parents to occupy you while the other mows the lawn? How do you cope if a neighbour cuts theirs?

jayroo79
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 May 2010, 8:43 pm

Grab an mp3 player. Put the sound to the max, ask your family members how many of them can stand wearing the headphones to the mp3 player for about an hour or however long it takes to finish the lawn.

When they protest tell them that is how you feel when they mow with a powered lawn mower.
Explain that you are willing to handle the lawn in exchange for peace of mind.

Perhaps that could help.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 9:02 pm

I loved our riding mower, so I caint really speak to being bothered by the noise. We had a neighbour though, he had a problem with it. Tried to kill off our grass one time, little prat.

I'd do what the above said and get an MP3 player, but I'd use it to block the noise, not bust your ear drums.

The vacuum though, that did bother me. I found it better if I hummed the same tone as it, made me feel more like I was in control of the noise. You could try that. Also, some of the nicer white noise generators can be taught to cancel certain sounds. May hurt your head a bit though, you're both hearing and not hearing it at the same time.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

Moony
Toucan
Toucan

29 May 2010, 9:08 pm

That's mean. They probably think you're just fussing, and don't know that it actually hurts you.

I get that a bit in my concert band. The whole band has decended into a cacophony, and I have my head on my knees and my hands covering my ears. Then someone will come over to me and play their lowdest note right in my face.

People just don't understand.

Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 May 2010, 10:34 pm

1, buy a box of natural wax ear plugs from sainburys (they mold to your ears)
2, buy the CD Kelis, Caught out there, I hate you so much right now ! (It basically goes "I hate you so much right now" ALOT)
When they mow the lawn put the two together and express your feelings :D

Another way I have found to express myself is fridge magnets ! I dont know any large shops that sell them but they are in alot of different shops so I assume they are all over the country. They are square and have photographs with a little message on them. So there a photograph of an eagle owl looking abit grumpy and it says "I've got one nerve left and you're getting on it" or two goldfish "How can I miss you if you won't go away" and my personal favorite two gofers "I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either" (I know but so cute!) They do come with nice comments as well I just thought these were appropriate and maybe if you put a magnet on the fridge it would help them to understand how you are feeling without getting frustrated trying to tell them.

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2010, 12:22 am

The electric lawnmower I have is extremely quiet, almost silent. It's wonderfully peaceful to mow with, much quieter than the electric weed whacker I own and infinitely quieter than a gas-powered mower. Maybe the new mower won't be as bad as you're expecting.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2010, 12:29 pm

It seems that your family doesn't really understand.