Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

31 May 2010, 9:52 pm

Quote:
Wrong Planet is currently experiencing a VERY high amount of people posting messages to the site and can't handle the load.

We should be back in 2 to 3 minutes or less.

I'm getting that message a few times every day & I also notice at times that the site is responding very slowly as well. I'm not trying to complain or anything here but I'm wondering if maybe stuff could be upgraded & switched to a more powerful server.
Donations could be requested to help with cost or maybe someone can think of a better solution

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 4:24 am

This problem is nothing compared how it was before where it would forever load and would take half an hour if dial-up and 2 minutes via broadband, regardless of the speed and it would frequently crash that the server itself and at one point crashed the whole server.

We then donated enough money thanks to WP Supporters and TOGGI3 so we ended up having a high spec server that we have now which was upgraded since January and it was running smooth at one point, and don't forget, we also have a back-up of the server so incase of another failure, it would come in handy.

It was round around Feburary after something happened to the database itself, we have been getting slow at times and that error message that doesn't even show the WP logo.

Also for some reason, the database seemed to have affected me which resulted me getting banned, turned out it was a glitch with the database. :x (I'm just not amused).

Also don't forget, we have tons of members and search engines scanning through the pages at the same time to the point where the site does eventually become ridiculously slow. The more traffic there is on a website, the slower.

- superboyian.

(Typed this on my mobile device).

alex
Developer
Developer

02 Jun 2010, 8:30 am

We are working on speeding things up. What really happened is once the site started going fast again, more people began using it more so it started to slow a little. But it certainly is faster than it was before we upgraded.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 8:42 am

Oh OK I understand. All sites have problems 1ce in a while but having it overloaded least five times every day gets to be kind of annoying. Maybe the overall speed could be lowered very slightly so the site won't be overloaded quite as much :? I'd rather wait one second longer every time I click on something than have it not respond at all for five minutes every hour or so

alex
Developer
Developer

02 Jun 2010, 8:45 am

unfortunately that would cause more overloads.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 8:49 am

I don't understand this kind of stuff to much. 1ce in a while I have good ideas thou; least I hope I do :lol:

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 9:29 am

alex wrote:
We are working on speeding things up. What really happened is once the site started going fast again, more people began using it more so it started to slow a little. But it certainly is faster than it was before we upgraded.

Thanks for the clear explanation, now I'm more clear about it now, I thought it was because of some configuration that went wrong?
So your going to tweak the speed the same way you did last time? :)

alex
Developer
Developer

02 Jun 2010, 10:02 am

superboyian wrote:
alex wrote:

Thanks for the clear explanation, now I'm more clear about it now, I thought it was because of some configuration that went wrong?
So your going to tweak the speed the same way you did last time? :)

the only thing we can do is upgrade the server or add caching now.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 10:17 am

...or upgrade to a stable and supported version of the software instead of an antiquated patchwork Goldberg's system.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

alex
Developer
Developer

02 Jun 2010, 10:26 am

makuranososhi wrote:
...or upgrade to a stable and supported version of the software instead of an antiquated patchwork Goldberg's system.

M.

Using a different forum software may be an option but I don't think it's the best way to go based on the custom modifications we've made to this system. PHPBB3 actually based its software on some of the modifications we've made to this forum so speed would not necessarily be achieved by upgrading.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 1:55 pm

Given how poorly this system operates, it would be likely to improve performance. And while I can see those modifications being similar to those here, I seriously and strongly doubt that they were made on the basis of those made here. Since according to you, the server was just upgraded and you "managed" to change providers, then what other options do you have? And I am still waiting for an answer as to where we are supposed to post issues and suggestions if they are going to be deleted from the wrongplanet.net discussion subforum. Thanks.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

alex
Developer
Developer

02 Jun 2010, 4:22 pm

makuranososhi wrote:
Given how poorly this system operates, it would be likely to improve performance. And while I can see those modifications being similar to those here, I seriously and strongly doubt that they were made on the basis of those made here. Since according to you, the server was just upgraded and you "managed" to change providers, then what other options do you have? And I am still waiting for an answer as to where we are supposed to post issues and suggestions if they are going to be deleted from the wrongplanet.net discussion subforum. Thanks.

M.

well, options include adding memcached into the source code, etc

although we may be switching to vBulletin very soon.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 7:40 pm

alex wrote:
makuranososhi wrote:

M.

YAY, I'm an expert with it since I co-own a vBulletin forum so I maybe able to give you an advice if you wanted to.
But how would you be able to convert it from PHPBB3 to vBulletin 4.0.3? (latest version available).

Plus you would need to buy a vBulletin license?

alex
Developer
Developer

02 Jun 2010, 7:44 pm

superboyian wrote:
alex wrote:
makuranososhi wrote:

M.

YAY, I'm an expert with it since I co-own a vBulletin forum so I maybe able to give you an advice if you wanted to.
But how would you be able to convert it from PHPBB3 to vBulletin 4.0.3? (latest version available).

Plus you would need to buy a vBulletin license?

There are conversion scripts available but I'm I'm going to be meeting with the people who run vBulletin soon. they will help me migrate.