Page 1 of 7 [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 4:11 pm

Forgive the hyperbole in the title. Its not literal.

Ask your questions that seem to bizarre for normal people here. Provide an answer if you have one for someone elses question.

Here I intent to ask a question for which even google seems little help. I suspect these sorts of wonderings are common for those of us on the outer perimeter of human neurology.

What/where is the deepest buried human body, either as a burial rite or unrecovered from an accident? Please exclude burials at sea.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 4:16 pm

This may or may not count, but I was wondering earlier what the time duration of the longest ever scientific experiment was/is.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 4:19 pm

Moog wrote:
This may or may not count, but I was wondering earlier what the time duration of the longest ever scientific experiment was/is.

That counts! Thats exactly the sort of thought I meant.

I know of one that took more than 40 years, the domestication of the arctic silver fox. Dmitri Belyaev was the scientist.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 4:42 pm

Mm the trouble with deepest burial is that as time goes on people are buried deeper and deeper. So it would probably simply be one of the first humans in existence who by now would be buried far underground in a totally different layer than we are on today.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 4:56 pm

"What's wrong with that person's eye?"

JasonGone
Raven
Raven

01 Jun 2010, 4:58 pm

fuzzy i really like your question concerning the deepest buried body.
while i agree that technically the deepest buried bodies would be some of the first human remains being far deep in layers of sediment, rock and clay. but unless we are talking petrified bones, would it even count as a body? i just mean that at some point after decomposition does it's thing the body just becomes part of that sediment and rock... unless something preserves it.

and i do think there are odd questions and pieces of subjects that those on the spectrum may be more likely to ponder.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 4:59 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
"What's wrong with that person's eye?"

Actually that's something a kid would say too, I have a lazy eye and I've had kids ask me about it before, but adults don't say anything.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Mutt
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jun 2010, 5:34 pm

Questions I made to a classmate on my first day of school:
Have you ever broken a bone?
Have you ever been to the hospital?
What's wrong with your face?
Why do you have a patch on your face?

He ended up asking me if it was an attempt at breaking the ice, to which my response was:
What ice? :roll:

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 5:51 pm

anbuend wrote:
Mm the trouble with deepest burial is that as time goes on people are buried deeper and deeper. So it would probably simply be one of the first humans in existence who by now would be buried far underground in a totally different layer than we are on today.

It wouldn't be that deep. We've been around a few million years, but you don't have to dig too far underground to get to coal seams that were laid down many times longer than that (for instance, there is a main coal seam roughly 200m under where I'm sitting which I think is from around 300mya - not certain, but it'll be of roughly that order of magnitude, and a lot longer than we've been around!). The oldest human remains that have gone down in rock layers are gonna be, oh, within a hundred feet of the surface I should think. (Probably less, but I'm guessing the layers get shoved around in some places.)

The deepest buried bodies will be those from mining accidents. I've not been able (and frankly I'm not inclined, it's a bit ghoulish) to find precise details on the deepest accidents, but the deepest current mine is just under four klicks deep (the deepest natural caves are around half that, so we can rule those out), so that's probably a reasonable lower limit. Unless someone has fallen down a deeper exploratory shaft, which I suppose is possible. :?

If we count only deliberately buried bodies, I dunno. Someone somewhere, probably many people, will at some point have been buried deliberately (either in a grave or deliberately left in an area being collapsed) in a mine or deep cave. Most mines and caves aren't so deep, so I'd say our answer is "somewhere between 1km and 4km down."

(edit - my mistake, the Main is deeper here - 250m not 200m; yeah, I have the local mineshafts bookmarked :lol: :oops: I shoulda been a geologist!)

The year is still young.

Eldanesh
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jun 2010, 6:50 pm

"But have you considered his possible justifications/reasons for cheating on/leaving you and their validity?" (to a really, really pissed off female)

Yes, that's right
I win :wink:

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 6:58 pm

I remember on my first day of Kindergarden there was another girl dressed competely head to toe in blue. I asked her what color her undies were. When my mum asked me about my day, I told her about this and she got all freaked out and asked, "Now why on earth did you ask her what color her underwear was?" I was quite surprized at her reaction. I thought it was a legimate good question and simply wanted to know if those were bule too and meant nothing deviant about it. I was only five at the time and my aspie mind simply did not know any better. I thought it was a perfectly normal thing to inquire someone about the color of their underwear.

Last edited by PunkyKat on 01 Jun 2010, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 6:59 pm

Here's what I wonder. If we assume that animals developed certain characteristics for their evolutionary advantage, then what is the evolutionary advantage of the mockingbird's ability to mimic so many different bird songs?

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 7:25 pm

A couple of years ago I went out with a bunch of people i'd never met.

One was acting desperate so I said "When was the last time you got laid" which seemed jokingly normal but was seen as inappropriate and hilariously funny. :?

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 7:26 pm

I'm one of those "funny man" aspies, the class clown, the person who always makes people laugh, and gets laughed at/with but mostly at.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 7:27 pm

Quote:
why mocks the mockingbird?

Interesting question! Most birdsong says "I'm here, this patch is mine, bugger off you competitive other birds" so perhaps by mimicking lots of others a mockingbird is better able to keep its territory clear? :?: Maybe.

...or they could just do it for fun. I whistle to mimic the blackbirds in our garden. :) A versatile voicebox or a splendid syrinx!

The year is still young.

silentbob15
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 7:31 pm

Moog wrote:

Hmm one that I know of is the Pitch drop experiment which was started in 1927 and is still ongoing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitch_drop_experiment
Talk about useless info, I seem to hold onto :roll: