02 Jun 2010, 1:41 pm

MONIQUEIJ wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ezRUOuN6Xw[/youtube]

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/articles/ ... ing_truth/

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 3:55 pm

there was a man in PA. who put dog shock collars on his two boys so they would not cross one of those invisible dog fences. An alert cop found the kids on the side of the road with a stick trying to knock their ball back in their yard. The cop thought the kids were pretty well desciplined not to into the street. He went over to get the ball for the boys then he noticed the dog collars. The father of the two boys got some jail time for his bad parenting skills. I guess you go to jail if you shock normal kids and can torture the autistic as much as you like if you do it behind closed doors with people in lab coats. Very nazi like. :(

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 7:57 pm

Todesking wrote:
there was a man in PA. who put dog shock collars on his two boys so they would not cross one of those invisible dog fences. An alert cop found the kids on the side of the road with a stick trying to knock their ball back in their yard. The cop thought the kids were pretty well desciplined not to into the street. He went over to get the ball for the boys then he noticed the dog collars. The father of the two boys got some jail time for his bad parenting skills. I guess you go to jail if you shock normal kids and can torture the autistic as much as you like if you do it behind closed doors with people in lab coats. Very nazi like. :(

that so f up what he did to those boys :roll: and messed up that if they had autism it would of been justify by some idiots :twisted:

frag
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 8:59 pm

Not a school I'd like to go to.

Have a look at their website, there is something about how to treat Asperger's (See JRC Videos online) and look under JRC comments and testimonials... So if a girl cuts herself and tries suicide the cure is to shock her.. (she even asked for it...)?

Great, just great.

http://www.effectivetreatment.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge_Rote ... nal_Center

The girl who defends the "treatment", still says its VERY PAINFUL.. so no bull about it's like a bee sting.

220 K for a year of abuse? I could fix it cheaper.

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 10:03 pm

Drastic problems call for drastic measures. Some of you are really overreacting to the story. Autism is a learning disability. The shock vests enhance learning and behavior when no other method works. We are talking about kids with such bad behavioral problems that the only other solutions are to either drug them into zombies or lock them in padded cells.

Funny, I don't see any of the whiners volunteering to take these misbehaving kids into their own homes.

danieltaiwan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Aug 2010, 12:13 am

n4mwd wrote:
Drastic problems call for drastic measures. Some of you are really overreacting to the story. Autism is a learning disability. The shock vests enhance learning and behavior when no other method works. We are talking about kids with such bad behavioral problems that the only other solutions are to either drug them into zombies or lock them in padded cells.

Funny, I don't see any of the whiners volunteering to take these misbehaving kids into their own homes.

So it's okay to use shock collars on autistics?
Why not murderers or child molesters in prison? They would be let free due to cruel and unusual punishment if they used shock collars for punishment.
So what makes it okay to use on autistics? Are we subhuman?

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 12:22 am

I have no idea how bad shock collars feel but somehow I think it's a good idea if people live on a busy street if it isn't too severe. I honestly think child molestors and the like should be used for lab tests on unproven medicines, skin treatments, and whatever else, so running electricity though them does not bother me.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 12:35 am

We're talking about children being subjected to treatment that some people find objectionable when it's used on animals.

We're not talking about enhancing learning. We're talking about making unpleasant things the more pleasant alternative, not by making them more pleasant, but by making anything else too unpleasant to contemplate. We're talking about trying to make children unquestioningly obedient. That's not trying to teach them anything-- the JRC is all about making them manageable. It's also sadistic. Oh, and it can induce PTSD. In children.

This shock has been administered for swearing. Do you really think that's an acceptable use?!

Do you think forcing children to wear a shock device in the shower is okay?

Do you think for one second that an environment like that is actually conducive to learning?

Do you realize that what you're saying is "well, they're self-injuring, and we want them to stop, so let's make it even more painful"? (At best. At worst you're saying "well, let's shock them for looking away from their work and for swearing"!)

Do you even know what you're saying? You can't teach anything useful that way.

Before you get to them, there's a behavior you don't like. There's a reason for that behavior, which means there's a degree of pain and unpleasantness associated with not doing it. For self-injury, that obviously has to be higher than the pain of whatever they're doing to themselves (there is no other possible situation in which this method even resembles anything other than senseless, purposeless torture; if you aren't talking about severe self-injury, God help you). Instead of trying to figure out what's causing the behavior and making it so painful not to do it, you make them choose between the lesser of two evils by adding so much more pain on top of the self-injury itself that they choose not to engage in the behavior, a course of action which is more painful than whatever the self-injury was (like head-banging, or biting-- essentially, you're forcing them to choose what you must view as a truly awful choice by making the other choice even worse).

If it's such a good idea, would you like it done to you?

When it gets that bad, as awful as this sounds, I have to opine that although still a terrible choice, maybe drugging them out of their minds is more humane. Maybe pick something like pot, though. Make 'em stoned, but pot's supposed to make you happy, at least. And I've heard you can get medical marijuana for autism. (This still seems like a really bad idea to me.)

NOT A DOCTOR

frag
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 12:36 am

Eh... bad problems??

Such as a kid being abused and therefore is mentally disturbed and that's gonna cure them, more abuse?? Seriously??

Also, they didn't get shocked only doing harm to others or similar, they got shocked for talking to someone without permission, for a single curse word and for getting up from their seat. Which might be annoying, but not a grave problem calling for excessive punishment.

BTW, those shocks are so strong they could cause arrhythmia and death.

If this really helps, how come it's not used more? BECAUSE IT DOESN'T WORK!

Think for yourself if you want to cause harm to yourself and you get shocked for that.... you just get a punishment that is just in line of what you planned anyway.

When fear is used as a primary motivator the person will have issues, such as PTSD, later in life.

Plus you get to carry your own shocking device.... That is just humiliating. Makes me think about how they made Jesus carry his own cross.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 3:53 am

Luke 23:26 "As they led him away to execution, they took hold of a man called Simon, from Cyrene, on his way in from the country; putting the cross on his back they made him carry it behind Jesus."

Mark 15:21 "A man called Simon, from Cyrene, the father of Alexander and Rufus, was passing by on his way in from the country, and they pressed him into service to carry his cross."

Matthew 27:32 "On their way out they met a man from Cyrene, Simon by name, and pressed him into service to carry his cross."

The Gospel of John does not say who carries the cross.

(The quotes are from the Revised English Bible.)

I still agree with you that you should never make someone help you punish them. I just wanted to point out to you that your Bible geekery is insufficient.

NOT A DOCTOR

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 8:10 am

n4mwd wrote:

you must be kidding right :roll: what a ( you know what )

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 8:28 am

Like I said, I don't see any whiners offering to take care of these people in there homes.

First off, we aren't talking about run of the mill autistics. We are talking about kids and also adults who have such profound behavioral problems that there is no other humane choice. Read the part about the profoundly autistic guy who ripped a hunk of scalp from his father's head pulling his hair. That should have landed him in prison if he were to be treated the same as everyone else. In fact, turn any of these people loose on the street and see how fast they get arrested.

The behavioral modification vests are very mild in terms of their shock. They can't induce cardiac problems or PTSD. They are limited to 60 volts. That's not enough for a typical house light bulb. Compare that to a stun gun (20,000 volts) or a taser (100,000 volts). The most 60 volts will do is cause a little pain or tingling sensation.

So if this learning technique did not work or if there was a better choice, they wouldn't use it. As it stands, if the program was halted, those kids would either get drugged into being zombies or turned loose on the street. Dos anybody really want that? At least this way, when they come out of the program, they can function better and with less dependency on drugs.

Lastly, I am really offended that some would compare these profoundly misbehaving people to Christ. They are not Christ or anything like Him. Lets leave the Christ bashing for another forum.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 2:33 pm

Let's not forget Israel was influenced by a "utopian" science fiction novel. New World Order, much?

t0
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 3:36 pm

danieltaiwan wrote:
So it's okay to use shock collars on autistics?

It'd be discrimination if we only used them on NTs.

Quote:
Why not murderers or child molesters in prison? They would be let free due to cruel and unusual punishment if they used shock collars for punishment.

Nice talking points. Way to turn one issue into something completely unrelated. Murderers and child molesters don't belong in prison. You can't "cure" human predators any more than you can teach a lion or tiger not to kill for food. You can only kill them or let them rot in a cage (thus wasting resources the rest of us could be using).

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 3:42 pm

n4mwd wrote:

The behavioral modification vests are very mild in terms of their shock. They can't induce cardiac problems or PTSD. They are limited to 60 volts. That's not enough for a typical house light bulb. Compare that to a stun gun (20,000 volts) or a taser (100,000 volts). The most 60 volts will do is cause a little pain or tingling sensation.

So if this learning technique did not work or if there was a better choice, they wouldn't use it. As it stands, if the program was halted, those kids would either get drugged into being zombies or turned loose on the street. Dos anybody really want that? At least this way, when they come out of the program, they can function better and with less dependency on drugs.

I never thought I'd be defending Risperidol because the significant risk of weight gain and the lower but still significant risk of tardive dyskenesia make it a risky choice. It doesn't "zombify" but it does frrequently cause obesity at higher doses. Nevertheless, it has been frequently succesful with really intense aggression. Obesity is dangerous, expecially the speed at which the weight can get put on in some people. Fattening though it sometimes is, it does bring a lot of really aggressive people to a calmer place where they aren't in such mental turmoil (calm- NOT zombies) and can actually learn things.

What's happening here isn't learning. It's a really awful sort of operant conditioning. I'm not rah-rah pro-drug, but I think that drugs (that do not zombify!) are preferable to this. Dr. Israel doesn't agree with me. But disability groups seem a lot more upset by his Judge Rotenberg Center than they do by other places that do give people Risperadol or something similar. If it's this sort of Devil's Choice between drugs and electric shock operant conditioning, I think drugs are better. Or at least less worse. They have side effects (weight gain especially for Risperasol) but so does this. I shudder to think what it is doing to the psyches of the people who get it. There is a high cost, a cost that I believe is a lot higher than the cost of Risperadol's side effects.