Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 11:56 am

AngelRho wrote:
I think that the physical and spiritual are linked. There's no doubt about that. However, most (if not all) religions operate on the assumption that the soul/sense of self/consciousness/spirit/ghost/identity/whatever is able to survive physical death.

That is just what you believe without evidence. The religions are rubbish. Period.

Quote:
Sure, one's perspective is affected by natural physical effects, such as drugs, physical trauma, and so on. But that doesn't change the underlying PERSON responsible for the physical body.

You never provide such mechanism, never mind evidence. So I take this as another baseless assertion.

Quote:
As to whether there is such thing as awareness, sense of self, spirit/soul, and so on, one need only consult common sense for evidence.

Where does common sense comes to play? Does you common sense tell you anything about quantum mechanics? FAIL.

Quote:
I see. So since you are a mental fiction, your response is absurd.

Doesn't follow. The truth of a scientific statement is independent of its speaker. FAIL.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 1:23 pm

AngelRho wrote:

Nope, you still just display the mental inflexibility that you are used to. A thing can act according to a different set of explanations and theories than you grew up with.

As 01001011 points out, your response is "FAIL".

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 1:39 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

Nope, you still just display the mental inflexibility that you are used to.

Hypocrisy.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 1:41 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Hypocrisy.

No, not really. This isn't the first time you saw some "internal contradiction" that didn't really exist.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 3:49 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Hypocrisy.

No, not really. This isn't the first time you saw some "internal contradiction" that didn't really exist.

Yes, really. This isn't the first time you've shown yourself to be mentally inflexible.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 3:53 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Yes, really. This isn't the first time you've shown yourself to be mentally inflexible.

That's actually my line to you. :P

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 4:01 pm

My spirit is religiously rational and rigourously reasoned by verifiable evidence.

Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 4:46 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

Nope, you still just display the mental inflexibility that you are used to. A thing can act according to a different set of explanations and theories than you grew up with.

As 01001011 points out, your response is "FAIL".

What AngelRho demonstrates is how faith 'works' - turning a blind eye to opposing evidence / argument, repeatedly re-asserting ones own belief, and deluding themselves that the problem has gone. Mental inflexibility is just the result.

Flair
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jun 2010, 6:20 pm

The purpose of this thread is to state whether you hold spiritual or religious views not if those views are scientifically/philosophically correct or not.

Can we get off this tangent discussion of whether spirituality is wrong or right please?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 9:49 pm

Flair wrote:
Can we get off this tangent discussion of whether spirituality is wrong or right please?

I, STRIDENTLY and GODLESSLY, say never. :P :P :wink:

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 2:55 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Eventually you will learn that EVERYTHING is physical. There is only matter and energy transforming in space-time.

ruveyn

Oh, ruveyn, you show so much hope for the believers. How can I ever learn to be as hopeful as you?

For starters you will have to learn that aliens are physical :P

Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 11:18 am

Flair wrote:
The purpose of this thread is to state whether you hold spiritual or religious views not if those views are scientifically/philosophically correct or not.

One doesn't hold spiritual of religious views unless one think they are scientifically/philosophically correct. :wink:

b9
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 11:47 am

i am religious. i religiously have boiled eggs for breakfast.
i religiously drive the same route to where ever i go.
i religiously say no when someone asks me to go to church with them.

i am not interested in spirits.
whiskey makes me gag.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 1:45 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Flair wrote:

I, STRIDENTLY and GODLESSLY, say never. :P :P :wink:

Zealot.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 6:42 am

I always consider myself non-religious, but I'm also well practiced in various method of divination. I used to do fortune telling for friends and family. I didn't really believe any of those but people said I was pretty good and convincing. :) I'm not sure if that counts as "spiritual" or not. I don't believe in any deities, but I did once made a promise to a god in a temple I visited as a teen, and I will fulfill that promise, even though I don't think he existed. :)

I actually know quite a few people who are like me (like my whole family). Don't have a religion or believe in any gods, but would go to a temple sometimes, offer something, donate a bit, pray a bit, ask fortune teller questions (and not really believe the answers), a little bit afraid of death and ghosts, think there might be karma if you do bad things, think Feng Shui might work, think there might be souls but generally don't care... etc. Kinda confusing and contradicting, eh?

Maybe it's borderline spiritual?