Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 2:32 pm

Okay inside I feel like a normal person but I think if I do have AS (never been properly diagnosed) than I fear it is more obvious that I have it than I think. I have met some people with AS and most do appear to be a bit weird compared to an NT. Apprently what I have is Semantic Language impairment (it used to be called semantic pragmantic langauge disorder but they changed the name). My parents as well insisted that I put aspergers down on my college record so I can get more help with my work because I have diffculties in that area. I know semantic language impairment is closely related to high functioning autisim and i even said to my brother the other day that I have semantic pragmantic and he replied back saying "aspergers".

My brother also said the other day to me that "Its obvious". Impyling that it is obvious someting is wrong with me compared to the average person.

You can understand my shock and confusion when I hear this because if people view me as being an 'oddball' than that is not the message I want to send off to people if you know what I mean.

Any advice? Thanks.

I must be an aspie in denial :?

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 2:41 pm

The sooner you learn that Aspergers is a gift, the better.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 2:44 pm

Well ironicly my brother did say to me a year ago that "You probably have not even got aspergers, its probably all in your head".

I have not been diagnosed properly with AS and yes I know that does not mean that I do not have it. And yeah I do kinda show the symptoms of aspegers such as doing things the same everday. Semantic Langauge impairment must be virtually the same thing?

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 2:46 pm

He's right, your Aspergers is in your head... because it's not a physical disability.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 3:04 pm

Well to be honest its taking some time for me come to terms with the fact I have an autisim spectrum disorder. At age 17 i had no clue at all I was on the specturm I just thought I was a normal person.

To be honest I don't know why my parents waited so long to tell more about what difficulties I had? I am still kinda shocked that I have it. I suppouse it will take a few more years to properly sink into my head so I can stop being in denial so much. To begin with I just thought I had a lerning difficulty which is why I had learning supourt assistants in most lessons I had at school.

But I must stress though semantic langauge impairment and Aspergers are not exactley the same so Ferdinand why do you come to the direct conclusion that I have AS? I know semanitc pragmanitc can be found within AS though.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 3:35 pm

I don't know wether you have it or not. All I know is, that I found myself within Aspergers and now I can't picture myself without out.

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 3:49 pm

He may have been teasing you, like it's obvious that you have oddball interests and are different from other people but not necessarily that you come off as creepy or "special".

If he wasn't just teasing you then he's being a jerk. I have know way of knowing of how weird you may seem in person, but if you are self-aware enough to be thinking about it then I'm sure there are little things you could do to seem more "normal", if you want to. Just try to make a conscious effort to be aware of your behavior. Try to pass it off as quirkiness if you can, but don't try to act completely normal because it will probably look phony and there's really no reason to anyway, IMO. As long as you are comfortable with yourself then others should be too. If they aren't, screw 'em. They aren't the people who really matter.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 6:02 pm

I'm sure that you'll figure it out, soon.