Bad 19%  19%  [ 7 ]
Unbearable....... 38%  38%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 37

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 3:49 am

What's your opinion on Windows Vista?

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

Vanilla_Slice
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 5:04 am

A 32-bit bag on the side of a 16-bit operating system written by a 2-bit company.

Vanilla_Slice

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Jun 2010, 6:21 am

It's OK, but 7 is a lot better.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 6:51 am

Crap crapidy crap crap crap. Use a real OS.

dwh
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Jun 2010, 7:51 am

An obsolete OS that has been replaced with Win7.

Seriously, why even talk about Vista these days? If you're setting up a new PC, get Windows 7 on it. If you have an existing Vista PC, seriously consider upgrading it to 7.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 8:50 am

dwh wrote:

Seriously, why even talk about Vista these days? If you're setting up a new PC, get Windows 7 on it. If you have an existing Vista PC, seriously consider upgrading it to 7.

Better yet, upgrade to Mandriva Linux if you can. You can always run Windows 7 in a virtual machine. I find Microsoft products harder to use and more frustrating to wait for when I really need the computer to perform.

mesona
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jun 2010, 12:48 pm

I am stuck on Vista till I get a new job and I hate it! always slow always crashing always bad!

P.S love your sig cyberscan!

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 1:57 pm

mesona wrote:
I am stuck on Vista till I get a new job and I hate it! always slow always crashing always bad!

P.S love your sig cyberscan!

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 2:13 pm

Vista? Deprecated.

Jookia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jun 2010, 3:56 pm

Winodws 7 uses more resources than Vista (go look it up, two google searches for the system requirements for each and go to the Microsoft site).

Windows 7 may be better than Vista, but that doesn't mean it's not a steaming pile of s**t.
The other day I booted in to it and after a year of perfectly good use, the audio didn't work and YouTube lagged.

Now I'm 100% GNU/Linux.

Asponaut
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jun 2010, 6:58 pm

Vista was the new Windows ME

MattTheTubaGuy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jun 2010, 9:02 pm

I have vista, and it works fine. It does kind of eat the resources, but having the 64 bit version installed helps because I can actually use all my RAM. I will get 7 eventually, but I can't afford it at the moment, because I am a student.
One good thing that seems to happen is that when a program is using a lot of ram, vista seems to cut back. I have 4GB of RAM, and one time I think I had Autodesk Maya using 3.5GB of the RAM!

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 10:15 pm

Kill it with fire.

Jookia wrote:
Winodws 7 uses more resources than Vista (go look it up, two google searches for the system requirements for each and go to the Microsoft site).

Windows 7 may be better than Vista, but that doesn't mean it's not a steaming pile of sh**.
The other day I booted in to it and after a year of perfectly good use, the audio didn't work and YouTube lagged.

Now I'm 100% GNU/Linux.

Congrats on joining us in the dark side. To be fair, though, 7 has much better performance than Vista. Even if it uses more resources, it uses them a lot more efficiently. On the same hardware, there is a noticeable speed boost from switching to 7 away from Vista.

TubaGuy (nice handle btw, I play tuba as well): students can get the server version of Windows 7 from Dreamspark for free. It's called Windows Server 2008 R2, and with a few quick tweaks (there are guides online) it can serve very nicely as a desktop OS.

anarchybovine
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jun 2010, 4:51 pm

Ugh... I've had so many problems with Vista, that's why I use XP. I'm starting to hate Windows, so when my laptop goes kaput, I'm getting a MacBook. And I'm not really familiar with Linux.

Jookia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2010, 7:53 pm

anarchybovine wrote:
Ugh... I've had so many problems with Vista, that's why I use XP. I'm starting to hate Windows, so when my laptop goes kaput, I'm getting a MacBook. And I'm not really familiar with Linux.

You can always run Ubuntu on your MacBook. It's worth every hour of figuring out the new interface, other than that you'll feel at home. :wink:

But beware the Windows syndrome. When you leave Windows, you'll feel uncomfortable for a while as if Windows is the only OS in the world and you'll miss it.

danieltaiwan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jun 2010, 3:16 am

dwh wrote:

:P my experience of 7 is just Vista with a different task bar.