Hey, my 8 year old son filmed a stunt we did

Page 1 of 3 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

thewildeman2
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2009
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 55
Location: Sheboygan, WI

07 Jun 2010, 10:22 am

My son has Aspergers and he filmed this little stunt of our from over a year ago (okay he was 7 then), but still... he didn't know exactly what I was going to do so his reaction is pretty amazing. I hope you enjoy it and feel free to share!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2uXCLhb3LM[/youtube]


_________________
Visit my blogspot or facebook! http://thewildeman2.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile
And feel free to add me on Twitter too!


CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 103,393
Location: Hanging out with my fellow Sweet Peas at Stalag 13

07 Jun 2010, 10:30 am

That was hilarious! :lol:


_________________
Schultz

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645


spooky13
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jul 2009
Age: 54
Gender: Female
Posts: 499
Location: Drifting through the fog of reality

07 Jun 2010, 1:42 pm

LOL! Very cool! :D


_________________
"Why do it today when I can put it off until tomorrow."
Diagnosed aspie with an NT alter-ego.


gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Aug 2008
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,237
Location: UK

07 Jun 2010, 2:38 pm

"How could you?!" :lol:


_________________
Am usually bored so PMs are welcome!

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...


liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jun 2008
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,922
Location: France

07 Jun 2010, 3:33 pm

:lol: ...That was so funny, he sounded just like my son!



thewildeman2
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2009
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 55
Location: Sheboygan, WI

09 Jun 2010, 6:54 pm

Thank you all. You know, to this day, he still doesn't find the funny in it. Poor guy.


_________________
Visit my blogspot or facebook! http://thewildeman2.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile
And feel free to add me on Twitter too!


liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jun 2008
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,922
Location: France

10 Jun 2010, 12:20 am

Its not funny to break things Dad! :tongue: .

Its like tonight I was trying to tell my 7 year old son that I was going to let his dragon find his own way home because he kept hitting his sister with it. He told me that it couldnt because it was a toy. My husband told him that the dragon had been in the car long enough to find his way home. He said "its a toy" in a very irritated voice. So I said "havent you seen toy story?, toys come to life when your not looking" so he says "Yes, but this is reality".......You cant mess with Aspies :lol: !



aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Sep 2008
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,449
Location: denmark

10 Jun 2010, 1:20 am

thewildeman2 wrote:
Thank you all. You know, to this day, he still doesn't find the funny in it. Poor guy.


i don't think it's funny either... it really was a nice fan and could have been used for many other interesting things... and be learned from.

the tone of conversation and the laughter at the boys reaction was humiliating. not funny. at all.

poor guy indeed. stuck with an complete idiot as a parent....



thewildeman2
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2009
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 55
Location: Sheboygan, WI

10 Jun 2010, 8:57 am

aspi-rant wrote:
thewildeman2 wrote:
Thank you all. You know, to this day, he still doesn't find the funny in it. Poor guy.


i don't think it's funny either... it really was a nice fan and could have been used for many other interesting things... and be learned from.

the tone of conversation and the laughter at the boys reaction was humiliating. not funny. at all.

poor guy indeed. stuck with an complete idiot as a parent....


That was absolutely uncalled for! I can respect that you disagree or didn't like it. That's fine. But you don't know me and have no idea what I've carried my son through. Don't you dare attack me as a parent, you haven't been here. You haven't seen what we've gone through to get him proper support in school and fair treatment. You weren't here for that! But since you want to attack me directly for things you have NO knowledge on (such as my parenting or our living situation or used of a broken fused fan) let me give you some details, your honor, for a better judgmental view.

Purpose: To teach my son to laugh at life. What you don't see on camera is the long explanation period I spent afterward with him on what I did and why. I want him to learn that somethings in life happen and it's okay to laugh at some of them. An "idiot" parent wouldn't bother with that. They would say "get over it, ya brat!" or something like that. I didn't.

The fan: It was rusted an fused. I had tried to repair it, but it was just too old and repairs wouldn't take. Too much of it was deteriorating. So what can we learn by keeping rusting metal around our kids eh? Maybe the joys of tetnus shots? It had to go out in the garbage, so I did use it for something, comedy. I can tell you don't agree with that, and I already said I respect that. But again, you didn't know the details. Also, I when I moved out of that apartment, most of my things had to go over the balcony anyway because they didn't fit down the ridiculous set of stairs that you didn't know I had to deal with. But, I'm an idiot parent right? Well an idiot would have let his kid play with the sharp rusting metal blades.

And why would I want to teach my son to laugh at life like that? Hmmm, maybe it's because of what the poor lil guy has already been through, that I... as an idiot parent... have busted my butt to help him with. You know, like when his mother left and abandoned us BOTH. Think what you will of me, but she left her son too. Said there was too much autism in the household. What's worse are the things she did to herself before she left, but I really don't want to go into that. It's not up for discussion. But we both had severe stressors to deal with. I think tossing a broken fan off a balcony was a far more constructive way for us to vent that than say, alcohol or drugs, but maybe you disagree?

Also, as an idiot parent, no... a "complete" idiot parent, I have worked hard to make sure that my son has a full team of support to help him with all aspects of school. A task not even possible in a lot of states because of how they treat us. But I still got him support from school psychologist, counselor, occupational therapist, special ed teacher, school aides and outside.. another psych doctor, therapist, and pediatrician and TWO social workers. AND I made them all talk to each other with release forms. And at the head of all that support, ME.

Just last week, my son woke up at midnight and puked on the edge of his bed and the floor. He woke me up screaming on the way to the bathroom. I got up, cleaned him up, cleaned the mess up, comforted him and tucked him back into bed with hug and kiss. I take him to the park and get him involved in programs. I'm here for him at all times. The only thing I can't get right now is on the respite program because I can't pay out of pocket and wait to be reimbursed. But yeah, I'm a complete idiot for a parent.

So just to clarify, I'm not going off because you didn't like the video or can't see the humor in it. I appreciate your difference of opinion. I'm going off because you attacked me as a parent. You don't have that right because YOU DON'T KNOW ME. You don't know what we've gone through and I wonder if you are even a parent yourself.

In the future, if you want to know something, try asking questions instead of fast firing accusations and flimsy judgments. I respect that and am only too glad to answer peoples questions. Don't judge people until you make an effort to know them and facts involved in their lives. I for one would have greater respect for you.

I'm done, and I'm sorry if my vent discolors things or offends anyone else. I hope you other parents understand. Thanks. The purpose of my video was not to harm my son in any way.


_________________
Visit my blogspot or facebook! http://thewildeman2.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile
And feel free to add me on Twitter too!


thewildeman2
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2009
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 55
Location: Sheboygan, WI

10 Jun 2010, 9:07 am

liloleme wrote:
Its not funny to break things Dad! :tongue: .

Its like tonight I was trying to tell my 7 year old son that I was going to let his dragon find his own way home because he kept hitting his sister with it. He told me that it couldnt because it was a toy. My husband told him that the dragon had been in the car long enough to find his way home. He said "its a toy" in a very irritated voice. So I said "havent you seen toy story?, toys come to life when your not looking" so he says "Yes, but this is reality".......You cant mess with Aspies :lol: !


You are so right. He can be so very literal and he doesn't see how it can come across as funny to adults. But I tell him that I felt the same way when I was his age. And I tell him that it's okay to laugh at life sometimes. I think it's important for him to know that laughter isn't meant to hurt his feelings and I go to great lengths on that. We're still working on what's appropriate to laugh at, but it's a work in progress lol.

You know how someone will go up to play with their little kid or a kid in their family and say something like "I could just eat you up"? Well, some years ago I did this with my son and he got the most serious look on his face... he said, with indignance, "You can't do that! There's blood in me!"

And you can't help but laugh when your child does something like this that's so unexpected and very literal. He had a hard time understanding why Dad laughed, but he now knows that it wasn't to hurt him. And one day when he's a Daddy himself, he'll understand when his own kids do and say amazing things.


_________________
Visit my blogspot or facebook! http://thewildeman2.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile
And feel free to add me on Twitter too!


MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jan 2009
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,896
Location: Stoke, England (sometimes :P)

10 Jun 2010, 9:14 am

aspi-rant wrote:
thewildeman2 wrote:
Thank you all. You know, to this day, he still doesn't find the funny in it. Poor guy.


i don't think it's funny either... it really was a nice fan and could have been used for many other interesting things... and be learned from.

the tone of conversation and the laughter at the boys reaction was humiliating. not funny. at all.

poor guy indeed. stuck with an complete idiot as a parent....


Calm the hell down


_________________
What film do atheists watch on Christmas?
Coincidence on 34th street.


aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Sep 2008
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,449
Location: denmark

10 Jun 2010, 1:47 pm

thewildeman2 wrote:
aspi-rant wrote:
thewildeman2 wrote:
Thank you all. You know, to this day, he still doesn't find the funny in it. Poor guy.


i don't think it's funny either... it really was a nice fan and could have been used for many other interesting things... and be learned from.

the tone of conversation and the laughter at the boys reaction was humiliating. not funny. at all.

poor guy indeed. stuck with an complete idiot as a parent....


That was absolutely uncalled for! I can respect that you disagree or didn't like it. That's fine. But you don't know me and have no idea what I've carried my son through. Don't you dare attack me as a parent, you haven't been here. You haven't seen what we've gone through to get him proper support in school and fair treatment. You weren't here for that! But since you want to attack me directly for things you have NO knowledge on (such as my parenting or our living situation or used of a broken fused fan) let me give you some details, your honor, for a better judgmental view.

Purpose: To teach my son to laugh at life. What you don't see on camera is the long explanation period I spent afterward with him on what I did and why. I want him to learn that somethings in life happen and it's okay to laugh at some of them. An "idiot" parent wouldn't bother with that. They would say "get over it, ya brat!" or something like that. I didn't.

The fan: It was rusted an fused. I had tried to repair it, but it was just too old and repairs wouldn't take. Too much of it was deteriorating. So what can we learn by keeping rusting metal around our kids eh? Maybe the joys of tetnus shots? It had to go out in the garbage, so I did use it for something, comedy. I can tell you don't agree with that, and I already said I respect that. But again, you didn't know the details. Also, I when I moved out of that apartment, most of my things had to go over the balcony anyway because they didn't fit down the ridiculous set of stairs that you didn't know I had to deal with. But, I'm an idiot parent right? Well an idiot would have let his kid play with the sharp rusting metal blades.

And why would I want to teach my son to laugh at life like that? Hmmm, maybe it's because of what the poor lil guy has already been through, that I... as an idiot parent... have busted my butt to help him with. You know, like when his mother left and abandoned us BOTH. Think what you will of me, but she left her son too. Said there was too much autism in the household. What's worse are the things she did to herself before she left, but I really don't want to go into that. It's not up for discussion. But we both had severe stressors to deal with. I think tossing a broken fan off a balcony was a far more constructive way for us to vent that than say, alcohol or drugs, but maybe you disagree?

Also, as an idiot parent, no... a "complete" idiot parent, I have worked hard to make sure that my son has a full team of support to help him with all aspects of school. A task not even possible in a lot of states because of how they treat us. But I still got him support from school psychologist, counselor, occupational therapist, special ed teacher, school aides and outside.. another psych doctor, therapist, and pediatrician and TWO social workers. AND I made them all talk to each other with release forms. And at the head of all that support, ME.

Just last week, my son woke up at midnight and puked on the edge of his bed and the floor. He woke me up screaming on the way to the bathroom. I got up, cleaned him up, cleaned the mess up, comforted him and tucked him back into bed with hug and kiss. I take him to the park and get him involved in programs. I'm here for him at all times. The only thing I can't get right now is on the respite program because I can't pay out of pocket and wait to be reimbursed. But yeah, I'm a complete idiot for a parent.

So just to clarify, I'm not going off because you didn't like the video or can't see the humor in it. I appreciate your difference of opinion. I'm going off because you attacked me as a parent. You don't have that right because YOU DON'T KNOW ME. You don't know what we've gone through and I wonder if you are even a parent yourself.

In the future, if you want to know something, try asking questions instead of fast firing accusations and flimsy judgments. I respect that and am only too glad to answer peoples questions. Don't judge people until you make an effort to know them and facts involved in their lives. I for one would have greater respect for you.

I'm done, and I'm sorry if my vent discolors things or offends anyone else. I hope you other parents understand. Thanks. The purpose of my video was not to harm my son in any way.


you are correct. i don't know you. but i see a movie in which some idiot parent does what i describe.

it is supposed to be funny. i don't see that. but what i see and hear is the frustration of a son not well understood by his dad....

the dad doesn't either understand what a grown up aspie aged 48 is telling him without going ballistic.

you have a long way to go to understand your sons mind. and i'm glad to be able to provoke you so i can read that you are doing whatever it takes and whatever you can to get there. respect!

but try to see what i saw... and why i saw it. and why it hurts me to see it.... as it does your son obviously.

don't make him understand what you tried to learn him... let him learn you why he is not able to learn it. not even if he turns 48 one day...

he will learn to accept it. he will make a smiling face to make others happy. but he will not like it nor think its funny. just my guess.

oh... and btw... i'm a parent to.... trying to make sense of this world and the behavior of the people on it for my kids... all four of them... all autistic. like me. sorry if my opinion on what is funny doesn't count.



liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jun 2008
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,922
Location: France

10 Jun 2010, 4:25 pm

aspi-rant wrote:

you are correct. i don't know you. but i see a movie in which some idiot parent does what i describe.

it is supposed to be funny. i don't see that. but what i see and hear is the frustration of a son not well understood by his dad....

the dad doesn't either understand what a grown up aspie aged 48 is telling him without going ballistic.

you have a long way to go to understand your sons mind. and i'm glad to be able to provoke you so i can read that you are doing whatever it takes and whatever you can to get there. respect!

but try to see what i saw... and why i saw it. and why it hurts me to see it.... as it does your son obviously.

don't make him understand what you tried to learn him... let him learn you why he is not able to learn it. not even if he turns 48 one day...

he will learn to accept it. he will make a smiling face to make others happy. but he will not like it nor think its funny. just my guess.

oh... and btw... i'm a parent to.... trying to make sense of this world and the behavior of the people on it for my kids... all four of them... all autistic. like me. sorry if my opinion on what is funny doesn't count.


If you are a grown up Aspie than maybe you should learn not to call other people names!.....and you speak about respect?
No one said your opinion didnt count but when you attack people by calling them an "idiot parent" then they stop listening to you and just get offended. If you want someone to listen to you dont make personal attacks.
Would you listen to someone who called you an idiot? I certainly wouldnt!



thewildeman2
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2009
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 55
Location: Sheboygan, WI

10 Jun 2010, 4:45 pm

aspi-rant wrote:

you are correct. i don't know you. but i see a movie in which some idiot parent does what i describe. I still don't go around calling people idiots over things. You clearly didn't even read what I had to say.

it is supposed to be funny. i don't see that. but what i see and hear is the frustration of a son not well understood by his dad.... Again, had you read and even tried to understand, but never mind. That's clearly wasted here.

the dad doesn't either understand what a grown up aspie aged 48 is telling him without going ballistic. I went ballistic? Uh NO. I'm not the 48 year old who resorts to name calling and judging a parents 100% worth from a stupid video. I disagreed and gave a full and distinct explaination to my answers. You didn't bother reading it because obviously what you want is just to poke at someone.

you have a long way to go to understand your sons mind. and i'm glad to be able to provoke you so i can read that you are doing whatever it takes and whatever you can to get there. respect! REJECTED. Why? Because people who understand respect don't go around calling people idiots to provoke them on purpose. I know more than you are willing to take the time to understand. You've demonstrated that. I have Asperger's and bipolar disorder and no one was there to support me growing up. I'm an abuse survivor too. I've had to completely relearn myself and I understand my son completely. I explained that in my response too. Again, you don't know me or know anything about me and you didn't read my response. That's not respect.

but try to see what i saw... and why i saw it. and why it hurts me to see it.... as it does your son obviously. Sorry, but you've lost any chance of my trying to see your point of view now. You've offended me too far.

don't make him understand what you tried to learn him... let him learn you why he is not able to learn it. not even if he turns 48 one day... The word to use is "teach" not "learn".

he will learn to accept it. he will make a smiling face to make others happy. but he will not like it nor think its funny. just my guess.

oh... and btw... i'm a parent to.... trying to make sense of this world and the behavior of the people on it for my kids... all four of them... all autistic. like me. sorry if my opinion on what is funny doesn't count. AGAIN, if you read anything I said, I said "I RESPECT YOUR DIFFERENCE OF OPINION on what is funny or the liking or not liking the video. That is NOT my beef with you. I have a problem with you attacking me personally. THAT is what I have a problem with.


Now, I have to bid you adieu. I'm done responding to you. I don't have to tolerate your personal attacks and insults. There are better ways to approach people than what you did. So I've noted your disagreement. I'm sorry you're offended. Now kindly leave me alone.


_________________
Visit my blogspot or facebook! http://thewildeman2.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile
And feel free to add me on Twitter too!


gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Aug 2008
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,237
Location: UK

10 Jun 2010, 4:47 pm

aspi-rant wrote:
thewildeman2 wrote:
Thank you all. You know, to this day, he still doesn't find the funny in it. Poor guy.


i don't think it's funny either... it really was a nice fan and could have been used for many other interesting things... and be learned from.

the tone of conversation and the laughter at the boys reaction was humiliating. not funny. at all.

poor guy indeed. stuck with an complete idiot as a parent....


No need to try to provoke someone...


_________________
Am usually bored so PMs are welcome!

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...