DID you learn to speak early? Good language skills?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

enid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jun 2010, 8:37 am

I know delayed speech and poor language are indicators of Aspergers, but did anyone else have excellent early language skills?

I spoke unusually early (according to my teacher mum) and has a really wide vocab. Anyone else have this?

IamTheWalrus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jun 2010, 8:43 am

DSM IV on Asperger:

(IV) There is no clinically significant general delay in language (E.G. single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years)

musicboxforever
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 8:44 am

My mum says that I learned to talk really early. She says my first word was "cute". She had me cradled in her arms and said to me, "aren't you cute." and I looked at her and said "cute". But then this is the woman who thought that our cat could say "milk", so I'm not if testimony from her on my language skills is realistic.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 8:57 am

I did well with language acquisition.....I clearly remember reading stuff aloud at school with reasonably good intonation while the other kids were still struggling to read one word at a time. But my dad had been a great help, teaching me to read before I started school. He turned it into a fun game that I enjoyed.

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 9:05 am

According to my mother, I was speaking in full sentences by one year of age, and my vocabulary grew very quickly (along with my need to ask questions!)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 9:10 am

I learned to speak single words, little after my first birthday, but I started speaking sentences, at the age of 4.

Villette
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jun 2010, 9:38 am

I learnt to speak at the normal age, and my English teachers praised my essays. Odd, because Aspies are supposed to be literal, not symbolic and emotional.

Villette
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jun 2010, 9:39 am

I learnt to speak at the normal age, and my English teachers praised my essays. Odd, because Aspies are supposed to be literal, not symbolic and emotional.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 9:48 am

I started speaking single words around age 2, but only rarely. At age 3 and a half I started speaking in complete grammatically correct sentences. I never did use partial phrases. However, by the time I was age 4, I was reading at the second grade level, and by second grade, testing showed I was reading at the college level.

Last edited by Mudboy on 10 Jun 2010, 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 9:48 am

I learned to speak in the normal time for it, but with ugly accent.

My writing skills were always good if I didn't have to write about poetry. Some teachers wanted me to write longer. I tend to make lists
- because it's easier to read
- easier to learn
- and looks good.

I love to read books and listen to music, so I often used the phrases from them.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 10:45 am

enid wrote:
I know delayed speech and poor language are indicators of Aspergers,

Delayed speech is a trait of High Functioning Autism, not Asperger Syndrome - its the only thing that differentiates the two (if there really is a difference).

Hans Asperger called his young patients "Little Professors" because they had unusually large vocabularies for their ages - excellent, rather than poor language skills.

enid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jun 2010, 10:47 am

Thank you all for answering. I was interested because 'was there a delay in speaking?' is often asked about Aspergers in childhood, but I was unusually verbose. And I still am. I assumed the question implied a delay. Whooops.

Cat saying 'milk' is the best thing I've heard in weeks, btw. Actually lauged aloud.
Vilette- if you are female, Aspie girls tend towards being more amotional and less literal thasn Aspie boys can be. Remember too it's a spectrum disprder, so you can be really emotional and less lieteral, but have everything else to the max. Apologies if i have just offended a boy. Its still a spectrum disorder.

Valoyossa- I did that too, to the extent of really kind of 'chanelling' whichever writer or singer i'd been listening to or reading that day. Quite funny to be all Oscar Wilde one day, Robert Smith the next.

Assembly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jun 2010, 10:49 am

I learned to speak early and had a great vocabulary (in my native language, that is) for my age.

Wuffles
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jun 2010, 11:25 am

very early. learned to read/write early too. my first word was 'that'.

I'm female, this seems to be common with female aspies.

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 12:02 pm

I was what some clinicians like to consider "a late talker". I only started really talking when I was three. In fact, I was in a rehabilitation program for preschool for those with developmental disabilities.

Nearly fifteen years later, I can't shut my mouth. However, I have been commended by people for my eloquent speaking abilities.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 12:45 pm

I started speaking after about age 4. However, I'm diagosed as a classic autie.