Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

alex
Developer
Developer

04 Jul 2004, 8:11 pm

Does anyone know a good book (i'd rather have an online tutorial because of price) that teaches the concepts of object oriented programming? I'm currently reading this tutorial (http://developer.apple.com/documentatio ... 2objc_oop/) but i'm sure it would be helpful to read other tutorials (and books if its ABSOLUTELY necessary[computer books are extremely overpriced]). I want to start programming in Objective-C, but I would like to have a firm grasp on the concepts of object oriented programming before i start actually writing programs (I don't want to develop habits this early in my life that will haunt me until i die).

ekukiela101
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Oct 2004, 1:53 am

On Google I was able to find http://www.desy.de/gna/html/cc/.

Zebulon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Nov 2004, 4:25 am

Bertrand Meyer`s Object-Oriented Software Construction
One of the best books I ever read, it did not only change my programing style, but also had a considerable effect on my personal view of the world. Very recommended!

clever_name
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Nov 2005, 2:47 pm

My dad (programming genius) was one of the pioneers of object oriented programming. :D

I suspect my dad has aspergers. He refuses to be tested.

Pete1051
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Nov 2005, 10:42 am

And you're doing this on a mac? Not exactly the 'coders' OS, but if that's your thing, go ahead and write software for 3% of the market."Objective-C"?, must be Apples answer to C#.

It's kinda tough to find non-language specific books on OOP.

One thing about OOP is that when planning the project, I start with the most general, abstract aspects and work my way in to the details. hey, "clever_name", try to get your dad to post a little tutorial for us here.

alex
Developer
Developer

18 Nov 2005, 11:48 am

Pete1051 wrote:
And you're doing this on a mac? Not exactly the 'coders' OS, but if that's your thing, go ahead and write software for 3% of the market."Objective-C"?, must be Apples answer to C#.

It's kinda tough to find non-language specific books on OOP.

One thing about OOP is that when planning the project, I start with the most general, abstract aspects and work my way in to the details. hey, "clever_name", try to get your dad to post a little tutorial for us here.

No, objective-c is much older than C#. Java is based on Objective-c. Objective-c is used a lot for robotics.

SineWave
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Mark
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Nov 2005, 3:42 pm

alex wrote:
Objective-c is used a lot for robotics.

That is slightly worrying given that it a very dynamic (ie run-time rather than compile-time failure) language - robots can be pretty scarey things!

I have never found a good introduction to object oriented programming. The books that I have read usually have excessively trivial examples that I have a difficult time mapping to real-world programming problems. In practise, I think that the main advantage of OO is that it helps make it very easy to provide good encapsulation, but that re-use through derived classes needs a lot of careful thought up front. [I am very much a bottom-up programmer... I find true top-down design very difficult and prefer iterating on the details of the problem and expanding the work until I have a complete solution - not exactly a textbook approach!]

MacOSX makes very good use of OO design in the GUI system. I strongly recommend Aron Hillegass' "Cocoa Programming for MacOSX" (Amazon web link here). I learned a lot from working through the book, which is structured as a series of progressive tutorials.

Objective-C as a language is very elegant, especially compared to C++. It has a very neat and simple set of OO extensions to C, derived from Smalltalk messaging. I tend to use C++ when I need higher performance (no run-time function selector overheads) and more complete compile-time code validation. I only use Objective-C for Mac specific GUI functions.