Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Ehlien
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jun 2010, 11:46 am

There are quite a few posts by others here saying they don't have any friends. I can't help but wish to know more. What kind of people would you consider to be a friend and likewise, an acquaintance?

I'm asking cos I think everyone's view of what they consider to be a friend or acquaintance can be very different.

Sometimes by simply understanding our inner definitions of what constitutes a friend and so on from different perspectives, we might gain new insight or better understanding into our past and present relationships with others; and hopefully some of us can reconsider whether any change is necessary in the way things are being perceived.

I shall start by sharing mine.

Friends to me are those who you can totally be yourself when you are with them - they know your flaws, fears and desires, but would never exploit or manipulate you in any way for cheap fun, ambition or ill-will.

Acquaintances are just people who I happen to know their faces or names. Colleagues or classmates can be acquaintances, for example.

chessimprov
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jun 2010, 2:16 pm

Ehlien, I am on par with you about friends vs. acquaintances. Some people do see or define these differently, sometimes they do it naturally without realizing it and consider some acquaintances friends.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 3:53 pm

Ehlien wrote:
Friends to me are those who you can totally be yourself when you are with them - they know your flaws, fears and desires, but would never exploit or manipulate you in any way for cheap fun, ambition or ill-will.

Acquaintances are just people who I happen to know their faces or names. Colleagues or classmates can be acquaintances, for example.

Good definitions.

I add one more to "friend:" someone you make a true connection with at a deep level--someone with whom you are completely at ease every time you are with them.

True friends are few and far between.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 9:09 pm

I have to have that connection, or i just can't say someone is my friend.

My boyfriend is EXTREMELY social, and has a large number of real friends. He has been careful to cultivate a network of the most open, accepting people I've ever met. I am able to be myself in front of them in a very short period of time (well, short for me. 3 or 4 months, maybe?), because I know what type of people they are. But, even though I'm surprisingly comfortable around them, they aren't MY friends. They're his.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 11:04 pm

I feel lucky to have two friends, that I can be myself, around, who accept my kinks and quirks. :)