Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2010, 6:51 pm

I recently created a PayPal account, and they said that they would make deposits into my bank account in a couple days. I'm also a little nervous, because neither of my parents know about this; but then again, I have my own savings account, and I'm almost 19, so I figured I could make my own decisions.

Just to be safe, does anybody here use PayPal? If so, have you had any problems with it? Also, do you have to have a credit card to use PayPal?

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2010, 7:13 pm

yes they are great

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2010, 7:14 pm

Are you asking if paypal is safe? If so, then yes. Very.

I believe you have to use a credit card.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2010, 7:27 pm

Descartes wrote:
I recently created a PayPal account, and they said that they would make deposits into my bank account in a couple days.

Do you mean from your PayPal account into your bank account, or do you mean from your bank account into your PayPal account? You would first have to have a balance in your PayPal account in order to send money anywhere else.

Descartes wrote:
Just to be safe, does anybody here use PayPal?

Yes, and I have absolutely no complaints about PayPal. In fact, the folks there have always been very helpful whenever I had any kind of problem with someone else to resolve.

Descartes wrote:
Also, do you have to have a credit card to use PayPal?

If you already have an account without having to attach a credit card, then no, you do not have to have one. But, and as you have already experienced, your PayPal account must be attached to some kind of account somewhere.

Time for dinner here, but I will come back and post a little more later ...

----------------------------

I also have a PayPal debit card, and the combination of being able to pay for something either in person with the card (secured by a PIN) or online with the account and not have to carry cash or a checkbook is really nice.

Last edited by leejosepho on 23 Jun 2010, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2010, 8:11 pm

I think they meant that they would deposit some money into my savings account, not my PayPal account. I already linked my PayPal account to my savings account.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2010, 8:21 pm

Descartes wrote:
I think they meant that they would deposit some money into my savings account, not my PayPal account. I already linked my PayPal account to my savings account.

The money would first have to be in your PayPal account in order to do that.

ballymidway1980
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jun 2010, 9:33 pm

i use paypal! and have for a few years... mainly for buying arcade related parts hardware to fix games from other klovers on KLOV. most notibly i have noticed it takes about 3-4 days when someone sends me money to when i transfer it to my bank account for it to update with the money in the acct. i have also noticed if you place it to transfer on a friday depending on your bank, it doesnt even process until monday, as apperently saturdays and sundays are not working bussiness days for paypal. its virtually safe, but if someone stiffs you out of money, its a BIG pain to get your money back as you have to file a claim and wait for them to approve it.

Klint
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2010, 9:36 pm

leejosepho wrote:
Descartes wrote:
I recently created a PayPal account, and they said that they would make deposits into my bank account in a couple days.

Do you mean from your PayPal account into your bank account, or do you mean from your bank account into your PayPal account? You would first have to have a balance in your PayPal account in order to send money anywhere else.

I think this is part of setting it up. When you link your bank account to your PayPal account, PayPal makes two deposits under a dollar (usually even under ten cents). After that happens, you look at your bank statements or go to the banks online banking section to look at the amounts. You use the amounts to verify on the PayPal site that the bank account you are using is yours. Next, you can deposit money into your PayPal account from your bank account to use for online shopping. This is suppose to be a three to five day process, so be sure of the amount. I just signed up for PayPal as well, and waiting for funds to be moved so I can buy a Wacom tablet for my birthday. :) It's supposed to be very safe. My parents also use it, and they didn't mind me signing up. Even my cousin who is a lot younger than me has a PayPal account. Good luck!

By the way, I don't think you need a credit or debit card by the way. Just the bank account. :thumright:

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2010, 10:19 pm

Klint wrote:
...you can deposit money into your PayPal account from your bank account to use for online shopping.

I thought PayPal just takes money out of your bank account when you purchase something online?

Klint
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2010, 11:50 pm

Huh, I didn't know that. :?
I guess you can do both then. :)

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 12:18 am

Klint wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
Descartes wrote:

I think this is part of setting it up. When you link your bank account to your PayPal account, PayPal makes two deposits under a dollar (usually even under ten cents). After that happens, you look at your bank statements or go to the banks online banking section to look at the amounts. You use the amounts to verify on the PayPal site that the bank account you are using is yours.

Ah yes, I forgot ... and I knew that just last week when I deleted one bank account and added another!

Transfers to and from bank accounts do take a few days because PayPal uses some kind of "cluster" process. However, money sent from one PayPal account to another, as in "person to person" (or whenever paying for something) happens immediately.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 3:01 am

I have an account, but I dislike them very much. If I have the option to pay in any other way than Paypal, I will use that.

The year is still young.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 5:33 am

I use PayPal to pay for hosting and domain names. Never had a problem personally, but my uncle's account got hacked once. However, if you link a credit or debit card to it instead of directly linking your bank account, dodgy transfers are a lot more heavily policed.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 5:56 am

i cannot use paypal nor ebay because they require much more computer power than my old w98 machine can muster. paypal just bounces me off their website by making my computer lockup. i called paypal a few years back and they told me that "we can't accomodate old computers, you must upgrade to the latest OS and CPU." i later found out they got sued over that, so they just stopped telling people anything.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 1:52 pm

I use PayPal, and I've never had any problems with it, though I have heard quite a few horror stories, let me tell you :x

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/10 ... ng-to-all/

Descartes wrote:
I thought PayPal just takes money out of your bank account when you purchase something online?

No. You have to transfer it from your bank account to PayPal, which takes a few days.

I think there's a way to set it up to have PayPal automatically take it out, but I don't remember how...I think you need a credit card or something to do it.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 2:57 pm

I use paypal when I'm ordering things that I want online (but I don't do it often though until I have enough money).
You'd find that its actually pretty safe to use.