Housework Reduces Women's Cancer Risk

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Pandoran-March
Raven
Raven

24 Jun 2010, 12:22 pm

Quote:
Women who exercise by doing the housework can reduce their risk of breast cancer, a study suggests.

The research on more than 200,000 women from nine European countries found doing household chores was far more cancer protective than playing sport.

Dusting, mopping and vacuuming was also better than having a physical job.

BBC News Service

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 12:55 pm

One wonders who funded this research.

The Association of Fat Guys Sitting on the Couch Watching TV?

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 12:59 pm

Pandoran-March wrote:
Quote:
Women who exercise by doing the housework can reduce their risk of breast cancer, a study suggests.

The research on more than 200,000 women from nine European countries found doing household chores was far more cancer protective than playing sport.

BBC News Service

And what benefit does being pregnant, barefoot and naked in the kitchen have?

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 2:07 pm

visagrunt wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 10:08 pm

visagrunt wrote:

Well, you can count ME out of that imagery!

I haven't got enough money to fund anything!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now where'd I but that damned remote? :scratch:

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 10:26 pm

I suppose the opponents of women's suffrage were right all along--a woman's place is in the kitchen! :lol:

For those who haven't caught on, I was being sarcastic. I am most certainly not a sexist. :wink:

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 10:32 pm

Pandoran-March wrote:
Quote:

BBC News Service

(Insert sexist joke here... :lol: )

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 10:40 pm

Wait! Wait!

I just thought of something!

Quote:

And, and, and....

If they can't manage all that....

Give them laudanum, and put 'em on bed rest!! !! 'Cause there's just GOT to be something REALLY REALLY wrong with them!! !

WTF? Did the writers of that article slip forward in a time warp or what?!

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 10:46 pm

MrXxx wrote:
Wait! Wait!

I just thought of something!

Quote:

And, and, and....

If they can't manage all that....

Give them laudanum, and put 'em on bed rest!! !! 'Cause there's just GOT to be something REALLY REALLY wrong with them!! !

WTF? Did the writers of that article slip forward in a time warp or what?!

Now all they have to do is publish a new study that tells women that going down on their husband/bf helps reduce the symptoms of PMS. :twisted:

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 2:07 am

Perhaps all the ammonia and bleach actually help kill cells before they decide to become cancerous.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 3:27 pm

Ok, more seriously. I wonder if this is another chicken v. egg issue. Perhaps the kind of women who have the need to clean a lot are also the kind who have other traits that reduce cancer risk?

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 6:07 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Ok, more seriously. I wonder if this is another chicken v. egg issue. Perhaps the kind of women who have the need to clean a lot are also the kind who have other traits that reduce cancer risk?

I think so and I'll even take a stab at what that is (this is an unproven guess).

In the article it lists the household chores that the women spend significant amounts of time on. It isn't just mopping and vacuuming. It's also cooking. They didn't examine these women's diets. That isn't the focus of the study. But other studies that do focus on diet have found a reduced risk among people who avoid fast food and highly processed food. Women who spend a lot of time cooking as well as other household tasks would be a subset of that group.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 6:46 pm

Janissy wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

I think so and I'll even take a stab at what that is (this is an unproven guess).

In the article it lists the household chores that the women spend significant amounts of time on. It isn't just mopping and vacuuming. It's also cooking. They didn't examine these women's diets. That isn't the focus of the study. But other studies that do focus on diet have found a reduced risk among people who avoid fast food and highly processed food. Women who spend a lot of time cooking as well as other household tasks would be a subset of that group.

A stationary disease topic

I believe it is the physical activity, not the actual housework. Active people have better diets than couch lumps.

Janissy and DW_a_mom are spot on. :D

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 8:05 pm

visagrunt wrote:

That's a good one. I'm sticking with my physical job, thank you very much.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 2:06 am

Pandoran-March wrote:
Quote:

BBC News Service

Of course! Women who do lots of housework, especially heavy housework die of exhaustion before they die of cancer.

ruveyn