job interview later and freaking out a bit.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

TheArtOfThrash
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jun 2010, 1:29 pm

I'm 16 and really need this job. It's at freebirds, a place that sells burritos. Anyway, it seems like a laid back work environment, but I still don't know what to expect from an interview. Should I be laid back too? Should I dress the way they dress at work (which is basically just as laid back as the environment), or in typical "job interview" type stuff? Should I tell them about my Aspergers? I donno, and I'm kinda nervous.

Fischers Fritz fischt frische Fische,
Frische Fische fischt Fischers Fritz.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 3:26 pm

Okay, dress the same or slightly better. Be the same (laid back) or slightly more alert.

And Good Luck!

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 4:30 pm

Act pleasant, do your best to answer any questions in the interview and take in some deep breaths when you feel anxiety coming on. Don't fret too much...if getting this job is meant to be, it will happen.

Best of luck to you!

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 6:21 pm

In a job like that (entry level fast food or casual food) it's usually better not to disclose. There aren't many accomodations the workplace can make in a situation like that anyway and if people think you're "weird" they will assume it's because you're a teenager and teens have a reputation for being a bit eccentric and quirky anyway.

If you're still not sure about disclosure, I suggest reading a clarifying book such as "Ask and Tell: Self-Advocacy and Disclosure for People on the Autism Spectrum" or "Coming Out Asperger: Diagnosis, Disclosure And Self-confidence" or one of the many available books about Asperger's and careers.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 5:10 pm

I'm assuming people order at a counter, and get their food either by the time they get to the end of the line and pay, or have their number called, something like that, right?

And in places like that, they're mainly interested in people who can go fast. Former basketball coach John Wooden used to have a saying, go fast, don't hurry (not sure of the exact quote but something very close to that, and something contradictory almost in a zen-like fashion). Well, what I think he took from this, go at a nice fast clip, but don't go so fast that you make more than a few mistakes.

And for me, that kind of approach can sometimes be a refreshing break from my usual perfectionist approach. For starters, it gives me permission not to double check.