Did you ever get asked were you molested as a child?

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 3:29 pm

Everytime I told someone I do not like to be touched or touch someone and hate making eye contact I get asked if I was ever molested as a child. Has this ever happened to you guys? By the way I never was molested. :?:

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 3:31 pm

Nope, that would be a new one for me.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 3:45 pm

I've been asked that, a few times.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 4:02 pm

Wow, that is an amazingly insensitive thing to be asked. God. No, I haven't been asked that.

Euclid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2010, 4:05 pm

Todesking wrote:
Everytime I told someone I do not like to be touched or touch someone and hate making eye contact I get asked if I was ever molested as a child. Has this ever happened to you guys? By the way I never was molested. :?:

Seems a little odd & lacking in wisdom, but is this something that happens within a specific context such as AS testing, or just more generally be 'the world at large'?

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 4:11 pm

Asked if I'm just generally abused a lot.

Why would someone ask if you were molested as a child? That doesn't encompass other abuse possibilities and implies that one can only be molested as a child.

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 4:36 pm

I've never been asked that. But I have experienced not a few times that when it's a man who touches me unexpectedly, and I react on it because I don't like unexpected touch, they think that I am prudish or that I think they are going to do something "bad" to me. It can take a lot of work to explain to them that it's not the reason. I don't mind a pat on the shoulder, as long as I can see it coming, but if not, it's not so nice.
Once I experienced a misunderstanding like this, the guy in question told another guy nearby: "don't touch that girl, she's frigid". 8O DOH!

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 4:54 pm

no. i just get called awkward, if anything. People who insist on kissing are the worst when it comes to unwanted touching

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 5:53 pm

Once a counsellor was POSITIVE I'd been molested, but I hadn't been.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 6:12 pm

i have been asked that, by friends and by therapists when i was young, and i wondered it myself for a long time since there were abusive incidents in my childhood. also because i misread anger (don't see it coming until it's explosive) and react fearfully to it.

in my case i might also have some elements of PTSD but i am learning to separate out what is a fear reaction and what is innate.

my eye contact is dodgy and it is quite plain i have some monstrous inter-relation difficulties (and usually no dates) but i'm fairly attractive, so when someone is trying to suss me out the logic seems to go:
lesbian? no. > sexually abused? ... ... ... maybe?.. if no? > what then???

when i started with my therapist i arrived with the (primary) problem of being unable to sustain relationships. i went in with the assumption it was abuse in my childhood that had made me the way i was. she saw through it immediately despite knowing there was some abuse. shortly thereafter when i brought up the idea i had AS i expected skepticism or bewilderment and instead she said "i'm glad you brought it up first."

so in my case it was a differential diagnosis. i knew something very big was going on, and it had come down to very deeply repressed sexual abuse (which there was no evidence of), or AS.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 12:19 am

Yes, I have. I've also been asked if I have been raped.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 12:28 am

I've never been asked about molestation or rape. As someone else said, those are terribly insensitive things to ask and I would be highly offended if someone asked me either one...I would say something about it too.

JCpatriots
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jun 2010, 12:29 am

And people think Aspies are insensitive. That'd have to be one of the most insensitive things someone could ask another person...

No, I haven't been asked that question before. 8O

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 12:46 am

There was this girl when I was in highschool was in foster care was picked on as much as me. She started talking to me in the library and wanted to tell me something she tried to put her hand on my arm but I instinctively pulled away from her she started crying then walked away. She did it again and she asked me if I ever was molested because I act like her. So I told her no then asked her if she was and she told me everyother foster family she went to either from another kid or the foster father did something sexual to her. We talked for the entire period in the library so when it was over I walked down to my counsler and told him what she said. He wrote every thing down then had me sign it. Then we talked for a little bit about keeping quiet then he sent me to my next class with a pass. A few weeks later the foster father was on the news and I knew it must have been the one that she was having trouble with. The guidance councler called me back to his office and told me I did the right thing and gave me a thumbs up since he knew I cannot stand hand shakes. 8)

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 5:29 am

If someone asked me that I would say:

"No. Were you?"

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 10:23 am

No. 8O There are scenarios where that question would be very rude. Her asking that way doesn't seem like one of those.