Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

madamehussein
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jun 2010, 9:44 am

Oughtn't someone put up an AS wiki somewhere?

I mean we're nerds, after all =D

Leekduck
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 9:46 am

theres an autism wikia but nobody uses it

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 1:26 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 2:29 pm

madamehussein wrote:
Oughtn't someone put up an AS wiki somewhere?

I mean we're nerds, after all =D

:) I was under the impression we owned wikipedia........

madamehussein
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jun 2010, 3:49 pm

I meant more like our own version of wikipedia...if Neo-nazis, BDSM-freaks and even starcraft nuts can do it (Metapedia, Liquipedia and Whipipedia(don't ask)), then sure as hell we can =D

There's a lot of AS related knowledge out there, isn't it? And even more importantly, knowledge of how to cope with AS-specific problems ^^

In Liquipedia, every possible matchup/scenario is accounted for and thoroughly analysed. Couldn't we do the same thing with everyday situations?

For instance, I've written an article on what separates a legitimate come-on from sexual harassment (according to Swedish law, but still) and another one on how to pick up girls/guys on the dance floor (Think:grueling field studies, and interviews). Couldn't other aspies benefit from this knowledge? (if I actually could be bothered to translate it) Wouldn't it be great if I could add my hard.earned knowledge to a comprehensive wiki on how to manage everyday situations as an aspie? :)

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 4:03 pm

madamehussein wrote:
I meant more like our own version of wikipedia...if Neo-nazis, BDSM-freaks and even starcraft nuts can do it (Metapedia, Liquipedia and Whipipedia(don't ask)), then sure as hell we can =D

There's a lot of AS related knowledge out there, isn't it? And even more importantly, knowledge of how to cope with AS-specific problems ^^

In Liquipedia, every possible matchup/scenario is accounted for and thoroughly analysed. Couldn't we do the same thing with everyday situations?

For instance, I've written an article on what separates a legitimate come-on from sexual harassment (according to Swedish law, but still) and another one on how to pick up girls/guys on the dance floor (Think:grueling field studies, and interviews). Couldn't other aspies benefit from this knowledge? (if I actually could be bothered to translate it) Wouldn't it be great if I could add my hard.earned knowledge to a comprehensive wiki on how to manage everyday situations as an aspie? :)

I think you have a great idea. Correct in that wiki has now specialized, with areas of special interest geared for target audiences. I know I'd visit an Aspie-designed site with practical information, as you stated above, as well as our interests. I wonder if your article could be a start......hmmm.

madamehussein
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jun 2010, 4:16 pm

=)=)

.....And I think I like the self-improvement part of it best of all. Sadly, I've always dissed wrong planet/similar sites in favor of communities that focuses on self development

I don't want to read about what's wrong with me, I want to read about how to get better!

...But if we could create a site which did not only describe common difficulties (organizational, problems, problems discerning voices in crowded places, social difficulties, what have you ^^), and make us know we're not alone, but could help us adress those problems...

Well that would be another thing alltogher.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 4:22 pm

By happenstance, I just came across this interview w/ Dr. Grandin which was released this month. In essence, she's on the same track as you. She is addressing pertinent info; I imagine this could be translated into wiki format:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok6jkDiJFAQ[/youtube]

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 4:22 pm

madamehussein wrote:
For instance, I've written an article on what separates a legitimate come-on from sexual harassment (according to Swedish law, but still) and another one on how to pick up girls/guys on the dance floor (Think:grueling field studies, and interviews). Couldn't other aspies benefit from this knowledge? (if I actually could be bothered to translate it)
I would be happy to put it through an auto translator just to get the idea of what you wrote. After that, I could try cleaning the translation. Please?

madamehussein
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jun 2010, 4:43 pm

Short summary, until i find out how to attach documents:

On sexual harassment:

According to Swedish law, you can go down for sexual harassment if you

a) Expose yourself indecently (you get the point)
b) Touch children in inapprpriate ways
c) "Violates someone's sexual integrity"

That last part was quite ambigous, so I ended up interviewing a judge about it

Let's start with the bad part:

-You can go down for just about anything. If you want to show your romantic/sexual interest in a woman, then there's (legally) really no way to play safe.

But on the brighter side:

-There were lots of things that the judge thought rather innocent, for instance putting your arm around the girl next to you in a bar.

-Also, if you're already dancing close (dont know the word, but the kind of slow dance when you're hugging, kissing and occasionally groping), he thought that it was the girls responsibility to tell the guy if he went to far, either verbally or by e.g taking away his hand.

-Even if you CAN go down for just about anything, you really generally don't. The judge told me he actually had never gotten a complaint from a nightclub/bar in all of his career ^^. I concluded the article by saying that we would all do ourselves a favour by daring to trust ppl hust a little bit more, take more chances and take ourselves just a little bit less seriously.

Upon reading the finished article,(hi wanted to get his quotes right) the judge agreed wholeheartedly.