Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

How many people would describe themselves as uncoordinated?
Poll ended at 28 Jul 2010, 9:44 pm
I would describe myself as very clumsy compared to the average person. 15%  15%  [ 8 ]
I would say I have a very awkward gait compared to the average person. 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
I would say I am very clumsy and have a very awkward gait compared to the average person. 22%  22%  [ 12 ]
I would say I am somewhat clumsy compared to the average person. 18%  18%  [ 10 ]
I would say I have somewhat of an awkward gait compared to the average person. 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
I would say am somewhat more clumsy and have somewhat more of an awkward gait than the average person. 33%  33%  [ 18 ]
I would describe myself as being as coordinated or more coordinated than the average person. 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 55

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 9:20 pm

How many Aspies on this site have these traits?

I am horribly clumsy....in high school gym my teacher actually said I was the most uncoordinated person he had ever seen in his life! How coordinated are you?

Also, I have always been told that I have really bad posture, and that I walk/run funny. Anybody else?

Does/did anyone have difficulty with activities requiring fine motor skills, (e.g. sewing, knitting etc. if you ever tried these things)?

Last edited by daydreamer84 on 28 Jun 2010, 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 9:22 pm

Yes. I was diagnosed by an occupational therapist as having dyspraxia.. so I'm officially a spazz :)

Dyspraxia is technically clumsiness, lack of coordination, etc.

It is very common for autistics. I've also read a lot about awkward gait and ASD. I definitely have it. I slightly drag one foot. I can't seem to swing but one arm when I walk. It's strange. When I used to rollerskate as a kid, I'd have blisters all over one foot and not the other.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 9:27 pm

i do :!:

which is why i'll never be good at sports :hockey: :bball:

Variant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jun 2010, 9:44 pm

I'm actually pretty coordinated. I can play all sports well, but still don't like to play them or watch them, as I find sports boring.

My balance is not the most fantastic, could never rollerblade or ice skate well, but otherwise I'm good.

Wikan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jun 2010, 9:51 pm

I'm with you on the gait thing.
I remember as I grew up, people used to make fun of the way I walked by imitating me as they passed me by on the street.
Also after I started with weightlifting my back became rather wide while my arms didn't grow much, making it look like I was walking around with cactuses in my armpits..

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 9:55 pm

I walk on my toes, and even if I'm not toe-walking, I have been told I have a sort of bouncy stride :oops:
I'm hopelessly unbalanced as well. I fall over while standing still really often 8O

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 10:24 pm

[quote="whitetiger"]Yes. I was diagnosed by an occupational therapist as having dyspraxia.. so I'm officially a spazz :)

Dyspraxia is technically clumsiness, lack of coordination, etc.

It is very common for autistics. I've also read a lot about awkward gait and ASD. I definitely have it. I slightly drag one foot. I can't seem to swing but one arm when I walk. It's strange. When I used to rollerskate as a kid, I'd have blisters all over one foot and not the other.

That is really interesting. I am going into my fourth year of university; I am doing a bachelor’s degree in physiological psychology. I have to write an honours thesis in my last year of university.... (It’s a weird thing we do in Canada for certain fields of study). I was thinking of working on something having to with the link between ASD's and dyspraxia. However, it is only an associated characteristic, not part of the diagnostic criteria.

Also, my mom taught a special education class and said that she had a few autistic students in her class that were very coordinated. (I know different people have different people have different symptoms and that symptoms manifest themselves differently in different people). Anyways, I just wanted to get an idea of how prevalent lack of coordination was among Aspies before I began. Obviously, I have to look at the scientific literature, but I thought it might help/be interesting to do a poll here as well.

I swing my arms too much when I walk...or so I've been told. I don't actually notice it at all. I also lean over to one side when I walk, and am constantly hunched over. I must look very strange.=) I also lean on my right foot a lot, and get blisters only on my right foot when I go rollerblading. I have a really strange posture when I skate as well. However, I can rollerblade pretty well...oddly enough. I've never been formally diagnosed with dyspraxia by an occupational therapist, but I'm sure I could be.

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 10:51 pm

I don't think I'm particularly clumsy, at least not with my hands. I do often have stubbed toes and bruised shins though. I also have been known to walk in a slightly weird way.

book_noodles wrote:
I fall over while standing still really often 8O

Me too. :lol:
But often it's because I stand in weird positions.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 10:53 pm

I would say I'm a SOMEWHAT on both clumsiness and gait. I definitely have a weird walk. I kind of bounce and my feet stick out to the sides like a duck's.

I fall down stairs quite a bit and also cut myself in the kitchen. Last week I cut myself twice.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 11:06 pm

I walk with my feet sticking out.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 11:10 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I walk with my feet sticking out.

Cool, another one :)

My dad does too. He has a lot of AS traits. It is really quite interesting to recognize.

WarWraith
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jun 2010, 11:16 pm

I walk pretty normally, but I've got rather poor hand-eye co-ordination.

Twitch games (first-person shooters, platform games) tend to make me frustrated pretty quickly.

I play guitar, but can't quite my co-ordination right to play a solo. My fingers (for want of a better term) trip over each other.

One of the reasons I've kind of given up on being a rock star. :lol:

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 11:21 pm

SamwiseGamgee wrote:
I don't think I'm particularly clumsy, at least not with my hands. I do often have stubbed toes and bruised shins though. I also have been known to walk in a slightly weird way.

book_noodles wrote:
I fall over while standing still really often 8O

Me too. :lol:
But often it's because I stand in weird positions.

Maybe I'm standing in a weird position and I don't know it :? I have scoliosis, so I'm a little lopsided :wink:

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 11:30 pm

I bump into things all the time, and I very quickly ruin my socks and shoes because of the way I walk. I also can't wear high heels which sucks.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 11:33 pm

Angel_ryan wrote:
I bump into things all the time, and I very quickly ruin my socks and shoes because of the way I walk. I also can't wear high heels which sucks.

I can't even wear wedges. I twist my ankles in them.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 11:59 pm

I don't know how to vote. I have poor reflex and coordinations and suck at sports, but I'm not exactly clumsy. I never break things and my hands are among the best when it comes to doing fine detailed works. My AS son does skip all the time when walking and is generally clumsy.