When a job ad says "excellent communication skills"

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

chessimprov
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jul 2010, 3:14 pm

"good communication skills" does not mean "good rapport." Good rapport can makes things easier for any of us, but good rapport is not good if your customers/clients are underaged such as teaching high school students. In certain circumstances, romantic rapport can particularly be a conflict of interest, and if that may be the case, one of the people changing jobs could be a good idea to avoid that from happening.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 5:02 pm

Nowadays I take "good communication skills" to mean that they want someone who can convey information to other people well. I have excellent written communcation skills, and I'm reasonably good at pontificating in person, so I assume I fulfill their requirements.

Just so long as they don't expect me to CHAT with people, or ask them about themselves, that kind of thing.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 10:20 pm

I was looking into volenteering at the local zoo but couldn't because they will only let you volenteer if you have a high school deploma (I had a nervous breakdown and had to stop for a few years), the uniform policy insisted upon button down shirts (I can't wear button down shirts because of my sensory issues) and good communication skills. They don't let you interact with the animals anyway as a volenteer so I changed my mind.

Jaythefordman
Raven
Raven

21 Jul 2010, 2:58 am

curlyfry wrote:
Don't get down on yourself. If you have the basic skills for the job go for it. I botched a job opportunity last week when I said I might not be fast enough and did not get a call back. I then thought to myself. I don't even know what their idea of fast is so how do I really know that I would not work. Communication skills should build after you have settled into the routine.

This!

Never think you can't until proven otherwise. All job descriptions have this and other criteria, but never necessarily holds absolutely true on a day to day basis. Never freak out, and never assume.

My communication skills are ok at a professional level, and gets me through my job. Obviously I am good enough at it to get positive feedback. Talk to my wife however and she will say I suck at communication. So, don't sweat it.

ZyklonB
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jul 2010, 9:30 pm

Yupa wrote:
All jobs require "excellent communication" skills.
All they mean by that is "can you get through an interview without making an idiot of yourself."

"Excellent communication skills" is a completely meaningless phrase and if you can present a good image of yourself in a job interview you should be fine.

No wonder I can never get a job. I always make an idiot of myself at interviews.
I lose all my composure halfway through an interview and the questions of the interviewer just seem like torture, since I can't remember how to answer them.