Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

wblastyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 5:24 pm

Do you ever meet a group of people who don't know each other, and everyone seems to get on ok at first, but then slowly they all begin to progress in their friendship, while you are left behind as the odd one out. They start going out to clubs, bar, etc and you never get invited, that sort of thing...?

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 5:58 pm

wblastyn wrote:
Do you ever meet a group of people who don't know each other, and everyone seems to get on ok at first, but then slowly they all begin to progress in their friendship, while you are left behind as the odd one out. They start going out to clubs, bar, etc and you never get invited, that sort of thing...?

That was me after high school, and man those were some sad times.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 5:59 pm

yeah:(

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 6:13 pm

i couldnt have said any better myself, like the indy 500 has begun and im sitting at the staring line trying to figure out why the enigine wont start.

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 6:19 pm

Happens to me all the time. Usually when it's a situation with everyone new, everyone seems to group up rather instantaneously, I've yet to figure out how though.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 6:23 pm

I used to get invited because I used to actually make a huge push for myself to fit in. If I get drunk with these people and act silly im bound to be noticed. Naturally though, this happens to me. It really seems unfair and often makes me cry.
Lately though I've found I don't care, others started to do stuff without me ages ago and i don't want to hang out with them anyway so its ok.

But I found this has happened all my life. How the hell do people make friends so fast? It seems like a super human power.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 6:39 pm

wblastyn wrote:

all the time-it is difficult for me to connect to people-I have had it happen when I actually start talking to someone-another person walks up and starts talking to the person I am talking to and take them away from talking to me and it has happened to me in mid sentence.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a quiet and peaceful garden where Mick Avory-like Sweet Peas grow

01 Jul 2010, 6:56 pm

That was me in high school, and I felt very lonely. After I graduated, I've come to realize, that mainstream people are a waste of my time. I'd be better off, doing my own thing, like I'm doing, now. :)

Kanye West 2024

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645

young_god
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jul 2010, 7:17 pm

Yes, that happens all the time to me.

But it also happens to other people that I know.

They don't have the 'problems' we have.

They have other problems.

Social functioning disabilities are not exclusive to our 'club'.

In fact some times I see the 'social situation' too much.
And do not want to be a part of it.

I suspect others see this too and feel the same way.
But I don't know.
Coz I am supposed to not be able to see how others think.

ha.

I see how they think only too well.

Really, I know more than a few people left behind, socially.
They are nothing like 'autistic'.
They just do not fit in.
You are not alone.
Neither am I in that regard.
And probably a whole lot of others.

Hope that helps ;-)

cheers.

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 7:28 pm

It was identical in high school but since then I've tried really hard to fit in and talk to people. The only problem is, I've only managed to do it (other than people I'm extemely comfortable with) in controlled environments, like my work place. This has meant I've often been invited to nights out but often miss the gatherings inbetween and am never contacted outside of these circumstances so often I'm out of the loop, even when I seem to be part of the group!

Prksrbrt
Raven
Raven

01 Jul 2010, 7:56 pm

This happens to me with my coworkers, who some i count as more than coworkers i guess. They will invite me to a movie, ill go, then later in the week they will go do something else and not invite me. Then later someone will ask me why I wasn't there and I'm completely puzzled and realize they didn't want me there or something... they do this quite frequently and I don't understand it. If it's a movie, I don't mind going, the social part is minimal and all I have to do is sit back and enjoy the movie.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 8:15 pm

Yep, which is why I naturally gravitated towards other weird kids.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 8:42 pm

It even happens to me with weird kids. I don't fit in anywhere.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 8:50 pm

hale_bopp wrote:

Really? :cry:

I didn't fit in with the "nerds" in school, but the weird sci-fi/artsy kids were my sanctuary.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 9:13 pm

Wait, so there's another way for that to go? Wow.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 9:31 pm

Kiseki wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:

Really? :cry:

I didn't fit in with the "nerds" in school, but the weird sci-fi/artsy kids were my sanctuary.

I think its the fact that im not normal enough to fit in with cool kids, im not slu*ty or druggy enough to fit in with losers and im not weird enough to fit in with geeks and nerds, and im not dorky and old fashioned enough to fit in with people who like doing things the old fashioned way.

I'm a little bit of everything, all rolled into one, except old fashioned, im not like that at all. I never want to do things with couples and I don't have old fashioned taste.