Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ProfessorCrow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jul 2010, 1:31 pm

Hello, Wrong Planet.

I'm a newly diagnosed Aspie and I've spent the last couple days doing alot of research. My doctors were fairly certain I had Aspergers for years, but wanted to be sure that was the case as I matured (at least, this is what my Mother tells me.)

Like alot of you, I always knew I was different. So many possibilities went through my mind when I was younger: Am I even human?

I've maintained a large grasp of the Queen's English since I was a boy. This is a hard habit to defend in the southern United States, where English has descended into slang and the most basic ways of communicating.

I am turning sixteen in August. I am 5'6, have blonde hair and blue eyes. I wear a mix of military and formal clothing. I am a husky boy that speaks in a low monotone voice and isn't one for exchanging pleasantries. Though I have made two or three dear friends in my lifetime. That would be about it.

I can't stand having my hands show in public, so I can typically be seen with fingerless gloves with any outfit be it a business suit, Battle Dress Uniform, or a mix of both.

I have a twitching/shivering problem. I'm not a hyperactive boy by any means but If you were to study me you'd get about 5 twitches/shivers in the hands or head per minute.

I have Type One Diabetes, which is the random and incurable shutdown of the Pancreas organ. It's not that bad, I just have to draw blood and inject myself three to four times a day. It becomes a part of the schedule.

I have Scheuermann's disease, which is a spinal abnormality that simply mutates some of my spinal disks into a wedge shape, instead of circular. Because of this, these wedge shaped "disks" pinch and stab my inner back muscles. Luckily, I do not have a hunch like some people with Scheuermann's disease. However, my case is extremely painful and at any moment of any day I'm feeling a constant flow of throbbing pain from my spine.

I'm blind in my left eye, which really means nothing more than being unable to watch those dreadfully rad looking 3D films.

I have been a "Gifted" musician for most of my life. I started off with the harmonica and electric bass, playing in places a boy of my age really should not have. It was a fun time, to be sure. People were amazed by my seemingly mastered art of harmonica playing. Over the years I've learned, bought, and received many instruments, but my favorite at all has to be the Cello. The sound that escapes the Cello is a passion that I want to learn, study, and share.

When I was about 4 or 5 I started showing an obsessive interest with Warfare and "Battles."
This has grown and increased, and I now have a massive knowledge of Warfare in all historical eras.

I can barely contain my mind from constantly thinking about war, or the battlefield, being everything from:
Infantry formation and movement
Political support and propaganda
Firearm or medieval weapon knowledge and use
Fighting technique for each soldier on the field to gain footholds over the enemy

I have of course read that most Aspies have some "Focus". I never understood why I was so intrigued and enveloped by warfare, but I genuinely believe now that I am diagnosed, that it is my Aspergers "Focus". If this has a proper word or term, please let me know.

To quell my obsession I participate in a military simulation combat sport called Airsoft. You might know about airsoft from some BB guns or clear electric little toys from Walmart, but there is a large professional Airsoft community that I am a part of. We use replica weapons and military gear for fun and fitness. I also intend on entering the SCA, a medieval recreation society, when I am 18. 18+ in the SCA can enter in massive medieval battles between the "Kingdoms" of SCA, and victories are important for each kingdom. I'm less interested in recreation and cooking medieval food than I am marching shoulder to shoulder with 200 other of my kinsmen towards the enemy formation. Bahhh, the thought sends shivers down my throbbing spine it's so exciting.

I am attracted to women and for that I am thankful. I've never had a real girlfriend, though the idea of a passionate romance is immensely satisfying. I've had a few hopefuls lately, but none strike my fancy, and I do not want to enter a romantic relationship unless I feel romantically for them.

That will be all for now, I look forward to being apart of this community for years to come.

-Crow

Perin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jul 2010, 2:05 pm

Welcome, Crow. You are indeed human! We are, in my opinion atleast, just a different breed. Although it gets increasingly difficult to believe so, at times.

As for those 3D films, I'm hesitant to call them rad but I'll agree to their dreadfulness.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 2:20 pm

ProfessorCrow wrote:
I've maintained a large grasp of the Queen's English since I was a boy. This is a hard habit to defend in the southern United States, where English has descended into slang and the most basic ways of communicating.

Don't make the mistake of buying into the standup comedy stereotype. If you live in the Confederacy, you know full well that not everybody here is Larry the Cable Guy (who is actually from Nebraska). Some of the finest minds the US lays claim to came from the Southern states. Like Bill Hicks, for instance. :P

And welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 3:16 pm

Welcome!

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 4:57 pm

Welcome to the WP community, ProfessorCrow.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 5:48 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet. :)

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 5:51 pm

Welcome ProfessorCrow,
you are the first person I know who also lives with Scheuermann's disease.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Jul 2010, 6:20 am

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

ProfessorCrow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jul 2010, 1:28 pm

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome.

Willard wrote:
Don't make the mistake of buying into the standup comedy stereotype. If you live in the Confederacy, you know full well that not everybody here is Larry the Cable Guy (who is actually from Nebraska). Some of the finest minds the US lays claim to came from the Southern states. Like Bill Hicks, for instance. :P

Ah well, agree to disagree. Having lived here for most of my life, but being born in Oregon, I've been a "Northerner" to everyone and suffered for it. Well, not to say I was too friendly to the rebel horde to begin with. :roll:

I have however met a couple good people here, and I certainly know that not everyone in the south is an illiterate idiot. It's just a very large portion.

Perin wrote:
Welcome, Crow. You are indeed human! We are, in my opinion atleast, just a different breed. Although it gets increasingly difficult to believe so, at times.

As for those 3D films, I'm hesitant to call them rad but I'll agree to their dreadfulness.

Heh, well I'll take your word for it. On being human and the 3D films. ;)

CosmicRuss wrote:
Welcome ProfessorCrow,

Oh? How long have you known about it?

Thanks,

-Crow

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 6:04 pm

ProfessorCrow wrote:
CosmicRuss wrote:
Welcome ProfessorCrow,

Oh? How long have you known about it?

I was diagnosed as having Scheuermann's quite late in life aged 30, so 14 years. Unfortunately, too late for any treatment so I have had to learn to live with it as best I can.
The best thing that helps is a memory foam mattress and rest. :lol:

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 6:30 pm

ProfessorCrow wrote:
I have of course read that most Aspies have some "Focus". I never understood why I was so intrigued and enveloped by warfare, but I genuinely believe now that I am diagnosed, that it is my Aspergers "Focus". If this has a proper word or term, please let me know.

"Special Interest" and "Obsessive Interest" are the most commonly used terms.

In any case, welcome to WP.