Religion (or lack thereof) and Autism/Asperger's?

Page 1 of 24 [ 370 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next

(People with Autism/Aspergers Only) Religion or Not?
I am very religious, and attend religious services/meetings as often as possible. 9%  9%  [ 54 ]
I am religious, but do not always attend religious services/meetings. 8%  8%  [ 43 ]
I am religious, and attend meetings/services on occasion. 2%  2%  [ 14 ]
I am religious, but I rarely attend meetings/services. 9%  9%  [ 51 ]
I am confused in this area. 6%  6%  [ 35 ]
I am agnostic. 24%  24%  [ 136 ]
I am atheist. 42%  42%  [ 239 ]
Total votes : 572

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 6:01 pm

There may have been posts on this previously, but I haven't seen any of them, so I'm going to just post now...

I have known many Aspies, and, religiously, they range from total atheism to devout Christians/Jews/Muslims/etc. However, it seems that I know more atheist Aspies than religious ones. I am just curious to see how many of you identify with atheism or agnosticism, or if you identify with any religion of some sort.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 6:05 pm

Atheist here. I think there might be slightly more atheists here because science is more fact based and systematic? And religion is more emotion driven?

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 6:06 pm

MONKEY wrote:
Atheist here. I think there might be slightly more atheists here because science is more fact based and systematic? And religion is more emotion driven?

Yeah, this is what I think. There are some pretty interesting articles on the internet about this topic.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 6:12 pm

I am the opposite, i find most sciences to be utterly without merit, i take the Bible as the ultimate history book. i cant understand how our world got here without divine influence. the odds are just too long that earth "just happened" there had to be an intelligent creator, there is no way around it.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 6:14 pm

thechadmaster wrote:
I am the opposite, i find most sciences to be utterly without merit, i take the Bible as the ultimate history book. i cant understand how our world got here without divine influence. the odds are just too long that earth "just happened" there had to be an intelligent creator, there is no way around it.

I respect your opinion, but I don't think The Bible is to be taken literally, as history books are. The only thing I take from it is the Christian morals.

Coldkick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jul 2010, 6:20 pm

They are finding more and more scientific proof that the Bible's information is actually 100% true. The only really unexplainable thing in the Bible is the Great Flood because not all animals could get there within the allotted time unless the even occurred when the earth was still in Pangaea stage, which predates recorded humans.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 6:22 pm

Coldkick wrote:
They are finding more and more scientific proof that the Bible's information is actually 100% true. The only really unexplainable thing in the Bible is the Great Flood because not all animals could get there within the allotted time unless the even occurred when the earth was still in Pangaea stage, which predates recorded humans.

Science + The Bible?

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 6:23 pm

Atheist here.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 6:27 pm

Religion isn't necessarily emotion-based and science fact-based. My faith involves far less emotion and a lot more fact than probably many people's. And it's not that I've never heard "the truth;" I've studied both evolution and biblical history, along with many other potential worldviews, and I've made my choice in what I believe based on fact and logic.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 6:32 pm

I define myself as an atheist since I think the existence of an omniscient, omnipotent and omnibenevolent personal god is a logical impossibility.

I also admit that I find the concept quite revolting considering existence as it is. Therefore I would also consider myself an anti-theist.

In short.....I don't believe in the KIND of god the exoteric religions (Christianity, Islam, Judaism, etc...) propose.

My mind is open to many other spiritual possibilities, but I take them all with a major grain of salt.

jakewp
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jul 2010, 6:36 pm

Not atheist, but agnostic.

It's interesting because just some days ago I was thinking about it, if the AS have something in common with atheism.

I was thinking about it because for me sounds very irrational to accept most of the religious thoughts and dogmas, though I was raised in a religious family. (anyways it's important to say that I respect any religious point of view, and I used the think in a religious way till my 20's).

Then... I made some internet searches and found this, an article published in scientific american:

People with Asperger's less likely to see purpose behind the events in their lives
http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/ ... 2010-05-29

The possible conclusion, religious beliefs may be a result of social way of thinking.

EDIT:
The idea above is not mine, here's an excerpt from the article:
These results support the idea that seeing purpose behind life events is a result of our mind’s focus on social thinking.

I really recommend this article :wink:

They grow and flourish and then return to the source.
Returning to the source is stillness, which is the way of nature

Last edited by jakewp on 04 Jul 2010, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 6:40 pm

thechadmaster wrote:

Oh really? Without sciences there would be no technology today, astronauts wouldn't be going into space, new species of animal would not be discovered, there would be no organ transplants and blood transfusions. There would be no insight into animal behaviour and genes if it weren't for Darwin publishing his discoveries.
And what has this "ultimate history book" done for the world? Wars, the spanish inquisition, people being sent into siezures when being "excercised" by so called miracle healers, certain groups being persecuted for things beyond their control e.g. homosexuals.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 6:42 pm

quote="thechadmaster"]I
And what has this "ultimate history book" done for the world? Wars, the spanish inquisition, people being sent into siezures when being "excercised" by so called miracle healers, certain groups being persecuted for things beyond their control e.g. homosexuals.[/quote]

Well, that's what the fallen, sinful people have done with it. Don't blame the book, blame the individuals who were the jerks.

EaglesSayMeow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jul 2010, 6:55 pm

Atheist. Not because I'm an aspie, my parents aren't religious, never took me to church. It's just never been a part of my life.

Call me Trish, please.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 6:58 pm

thechadmaster wrote:

Accepting the probability of intelligent design is still a long way from believing that a creative force behind the makeup of universe is the Yaweh of the bible.

But I find atheism every bit as ignorant and closed-minded as any fundamentalist Christian or Muslim ever was. Insisting that there can be no creator without absolute proof that none exists is an act of faith, not science.

So-called 'intelligent' humans have been on this planet for only a few thousand years, while the universe around us has been here for billions, yet some proudly assert their intellectual superiority because they think their precious God 'Science' has found all the answers and explanations already - yet scientists revise their findings and their definitions of absolute truth and reality constantly.

On a cosmic scale, we don't yet qualify as kindergartners, and already as we divide and explore the matter that makes up our seemingly solid physical world, all indications are that its not so solid and physical as it seems and that the universe itself may be in some sense 'alive' - we may all be living in a conscious cosmic 'Holodeck'.

All I know is, people who claim they have all the answers never do. Humans aren't evolved enough to have acquired that much comprehension yet. If someone told us the whole truth, our heads would explode trying to process it.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 7:08 pm

Willard wrote:
So-called 'intelligent' humans have been on this planet for only a few thousand years, while the universe around us has been here for billions, yet some proudly assert their intellectual superiority because they think their precious God 'Science' has found all the answers and explanations already - yet scientists revise their findings and their definitions of absolute truth and reality constantly.

I don't believe in god but I don't think science has found all the answers already. There are many things that need to be found and worked out. Scientists are still trying to answer questions. Modern science is fairly new and has only been around about 300 years, we have only discovered a small part of the natural world and space.
And science is not my "god", it has nothing to do with gods. Science isn't a religion.

And, I think it's a good thing we aren't evolved enough to know everything, because that would take away the excitement the enjoyment of the natural world. We'd probably kill ourselves off before that happens anyway.