Worf 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
The ship's computer 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Belana Torres 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 28

manifoldrob
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jul 2010, 11:08 pm

Spock was my hero and role model growing up, I could really relate to him - never shows emotions even though he has strong ones, scientific, intelligent, not social, no small talk. An aspie hero if ever there was one.

When I was in grad school a guy I knew who probably was AS used to argue he was Data, and Data was far cooler. Of course, we all know he's wrong, but I wonder what Star Trek character aspies relate to. Write yours in if I left yours out. I apologize if you don't know star trek characters, I'm sorry you've missed so much. ;) Oh and the "new star trek movie" doesn't count - that's star trek by people who have never seen star trek.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 11:25 pm

Spock, all the way.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Jul 2010, 11:47 pm

I go true phases where I can relate to different characters at different times. I can relate to the Vulcans & Data in different ways. I can also really relate to Barkley cuz of his holodeck-addiction If I had one one of those things; I'd be married rite now. I day-dream/fantasies a lot. I can also relate to The Doctor from Voyager cuz he had lots of problems in the beginning getting people to listen to him. People tended to ignore him or get frustrated with him cuz he did not really understand the social things & his bedside manor was not good. Plus he was trapped in sick-bay & in a way i'm trapped in my room/house. I can relate to Hoshi from Enterprise cuz she was kind of quiet, shy & nervous but she was also sensitive & caring about animals or others. She tended to doubt herself a lot as well; I had a crush on her :oops: :D
The one I think I can relate to the most thou is Odo from DS9. He stated least 1ce that he did NOT like "fun". He was very predicable & he loved order & regularity. He had a very strong sense of rite & wrong & Odo wanted to have strict rules. He was almost hypocritical in a way cuz he wanted to keep tabs on everyone/everything but he himself was a very private person. He had problems trusting & some did not really trust him either. He had a certain attitude about him & he was devoted to duty.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 12:09 am

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 4:19 am

Bester.

The year is still young.

NeverEnder
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jul 2010, 4:31 am

The ship's computer :lol:

And I'll be your ghost.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 4:34 am

Worf, 100% positive there is no better character for me.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 5:16 am

Spock. I even had the same hairdo last year :lol:

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

manifoldrob

05 Jul 2010, 9:21 am

Nick - I can't believe I left out the Doctor from voyager and Odo. I always loved how Odo found it mystifying that humans wasted so much time on mating rituals!

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Jul 2010, 11:31 am

Well, I have to say Kirk, since I can see William Shatner's place from where I'm sitting and writing this...

Charles

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 1:24 pm

your poll didn't include the appropriate options for me to select. if i did this poll, i would've included the following "characters"-

*william shatner's [james t. kirk] hairpiece
*scotty's sideburns [depicted in the later episodes]
*spock's eyebrows
*the always out-of-sight and out-of-mind toilet facilities on board the enterprise
*harry mudd
*capt. christopher pike [as depicted in "the cage"]
*bones mccoy
*montgomery scott
*any of the nonentities who walked by the camera or got zapped
*uhuru
*nurse christine chapel
*any other of the luscious babes shown during TOS' 3-year run
*the engine [matter/antimatter reactor]
*the ship's memory banks/central data processor

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Jul 2010, 2:14 pm

manifoldrob wrote:
Nick - I can't believe I left out the Doctor from voyager and Odo. I always loved how Odo found it mystifying that humans wasted so much time on mating rituals!

It's OK there's lots of StarTrek characters. I think the main 1s most Aspies relate to are probably Spock & Data but I think some of the women mite chose T'Pol. I don't think many people would pick Tuvok here. He was a pure Vulcan unlike Spock. Tuvok did not have that internal conflict with emotions that Spock did. Tuvok was more of a stereotypical Vulcan. He generally didn't show/express emotions; he did not have that sarcasm & he generally did not ask questions about humanity that made people think unlike Spock & T'Pol. Tuvok was not a central focus; he did his thing & kind of faded in there.
As for as captions go; I think most Aspies would pick Picard. I would cuz he was kind of introverted. He was devoted to duty but he secretly desired a family. He cared deeply about things but he seemed to be kind of uncomfortable with intimacy & expressing his feelings. He had a more logical approach but it was backed by strong opinions/feelings about what was rite.
I can also relate to Harry Kim from Voyager in a way cuz he was a follower instead of a leader. He was capable but he seemed to kind of doubt his ability to make decisions. He was a little naive in a way as well. He really wanted a relationship but he was kind of shy/nervous & he had a hard time making the move. Harry had a crush on 7of9 but when he had a chance with 7; he kind of backed-out & when a Klingon was attracted to him; Harry was terrified.
7of9 was an extremely popular character & lots of guys had crushes on her; I had a crush on Kess but not 7 thou 7 was one of my favorites. I'm not sure if many Aspies can relate to her even if she is a fav cuz she was very erratic. She went true a lot of changes & people didn't really know what she would do next. Most Aspies are kind of consistent.

Getting back to Odo; I don't really understand the human mating rituals either. I wish people would be more upfront/direct about it instead of all that dating game playing around stuff. I really do NOT understand the point of things like flowers either.

In case you couldn't tell by now; one of the ways I can relate to Data is by over-analyzing & rambling on about things :roll:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

manifoldrob

05 Jul 2010, 4:55 pm

auntblabby wrote:
*the always out-of-sight and out-of-mind toilet facilities on board the enterprise

I remember buying the enterprise blueprints for $5 CDN as a kid and the first thing I looked for was the bathrooms.

manifoldrob

05 Jul 2010, 5:32 pm

nick007 wrote:
I don't think many people would pick Tuvok here. He was a pure Vulcan unlike Spock. Tuvok did not have that internal conflict with emotions that Spock did. Tuvok was more of a stereotypical Vulcan. He generally didn't show/express emotions; he did not have that sarcasm & he generally did not ask questions about humanity that made people think unlike Spock & T'Pol. Tuvok was not a central focus; he did his thing & kind of faded in there.

I'd have to put Tuvok high on my list, above data (maybe below Odo), precisely because he was very vulcan, and his early disdain for humans. I think he was a very complex character. He really kept STVOY interesting for me. I remember the scene in the last season of Voyager in "Homestead" when Neelix was leaving the ship. Earlier Neelix said he'd see a Tuvok dance before voyager got home. The scene is here, about 3:00 in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXu2ibjfd7w

I still almost burst out into tears when I see it. True, Tuvok did not have the emotional conflict Spock had, but maybe I don't have the emotional conflict most aspies have, or maybe all these years have desensitized me to it.

nick007 wrote:
As for as captions go; I think most Aspies would pick Picard. I would cuz he was kind of introverted. He was devoted to duty but he secretly desired a family. He cared deeply about things but he seemed to be kind of uncomfortable with intimacy & expressing his feelings. He had a more logical approach but it was backed by strong opinions/feelings about what was rite.

Well stated, but a good argument can be made for Janeway too. A background in science and always worried of keeping a strong outward appearance...

nick007 wrote:
7of9 was an extremely popular character & lots of guys had crushes on her; I had a crush on Kess but not 7 thou 7 was one of my favorites. I'm not sure if many Aspies can relate to her even if she is a fav cuz she was very erratic. She went true a lot of changes & people didn't really know what she would do next. Most Aspies are kind of consistent.

I actually identify with 7of9, and used to quote her a lot. She was struggling with her human side. It's kind of a shame they made her character so gorgeous as it really overshadowed her amazing character. I hated Kess. She seemed so... human and needed people.

nick007 wrote:
Getting back to Odo; I don't really understand the human mating rituals either. I wish people would be more upfront/direct about it instead of all that dating game playing around stuff. I really do NOT understand the point of things like flowers either.

Yes, I certainly don't understand the custom of handing severed plant reproductive organs to potential mates. Humans are very bizarre.

nick007 wrote:
In case you couldn't tell by now; one of the ways I can relate to Data is by over-analyzing & rambling on about things :roll:

As Picard would say, "Yes, thank you Mister Data"

I tried not to use contactions like Data didn't (you know, "did not" instead of "didn't") once for a few days, failed miserably.

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 6:11 pm

Data because Brent Spiner seems cool. Lenard Nimoy kind of weirds my out with all his hippie BS.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 6:13 pm

manifoldrob wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I remember buying the enterprise blueprints for $5 CDN as a kid and the first thing I looked for was the bathrooms.

you must've been an exceptionally bright kid. i suspect not many other kids your age would've thought of that.