Being mistreat by teachers in elementary school

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Dr_Horrible
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2010, 4:02 am

DevilKisses wrote:
When I was in elementary school teachers treated me differently. During breaks I was followed around by a teacher even when I did nothing wrong. They also singled me out lots and once in grade 4 my teacher made fun of one of my obsessions in front of the whole class. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

The teachers in elementary school - except one or two - all liked me, mostly because I was very polite and different from other kids. The cleaning ladies were also my friends. I was very calm and loved to talk about dinosaurs. When I was in the third grade, the teachers of my elementary school even allowed me to hold a class about dinosaurs for the kids in the first grade. I had some big problems with following schedules and could easily get frustrated if I was stressed. It was a tirening and hurtful experience to sit in class-rooms, so I used to sit outside instead on a porch and study. The only real negative thing was when I had completed my math study book in the first grade in two weeks. Then I had to erase everything I had written and begin from the start so I would be on the same level as the rest.

I found that very unfair.

In pre-school, I hated the pre-school teachers. Usually, some of the other boys used to call me names or trash my drawings because I sat for myself. Eventually, they provoked me into attacking them physically. When I did so, the teachers usually punished me. They also did some physical abusing of me, like sitting on me for example. The worst thing was that one of them showed me a pic of the devil, saying I was going to burn in hell because I was an evil person (because I didn't spontaneously play with the other kids and neither did I want to listen to the fairy-tales).

That + some other things culminated in a mental breakdown a few years later. I was also very afraid of doing wrong as a child, or being interpreted as doing wrong, which meant that if I had an argument with my parents, teachers or other adults, I usually was very regretful for months. That was not made more easy by the fact that when I got into conflicts with teachers, I usually provoked them quite much verbally and could even spit on them if I thought their judgement was unfair. Then I turned very sorry afterwards.

DrHouseHasAspergers
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Oct 2010, 10:31 pm

Most of my teachers were and are nice. My fourth grade teacher refused to let me go to the bathroom one day and I ended up wetting myself. Then that teacher got mad at me for having an accident and called my parents. I told them what happened and they were mad at my teacher because it was very obvious that I had to go; I was wiggling/jumping around to try to keep it in as I asked her over and over again for permission-even the other kids were asking her to let me go.
Also my high school biology teacher because he yelled at me for sitting under the desk(the class was being noisy so I retreated to a safe spot). Plus, he threatened detentions because I brought play doh to class(it was for a project).
I think my gym teachers didn't like me because I was uncoordinated-they said I wasn't trying, but I really was. Sometimes, I refused to play the sports or run because I knew I'd get in trouble for not being good enough and laughed at by the other kids.
I'm quite sure I was smarter than my eighth grade English teacher. She called a ton of parent-teacher conferences because I used words she didn't know for my spelling tests(she had us choose 5 words to learn each week). I think she was expecting words like "animosity", I gave her words like "lais-sez-faire". Then I made her angrier because she said I had to use simpler words like my classmates so I used little kid words such as "cow" and "dog". That resulted in more parent-teacher conferences and a behavioral/mental evaluation for me. Thus, I was diagnosed with AS just as 8th grade was finishing up.
Overall, just a few incompetent and stubborn teachers. Based on other posts here, I'd say I lucked out with teachers.

meaningless
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Oct 2010, 3:04 am

I had some a couple really bad teachers in elementary school. I've always been "the quiet one" and always had an aversion to eye contact for whatever reasons, and this caused a lot of trouble. My 2nd grade teacher was extremely patronizing, would literally grab my chin (not harshly, but still) in the middle of a conversation and pull it upwards so I was looking directly at her eyes. My 4th grade teacher was even worse. She picked on me for my quietness, making me hold onto a bunch of paperclips and give one to her every time I raised my hand and spoke up in class. It was humiliating. She also had a weird fixation on getting me to hold my pen/pencil the "right" way (I've always held it oddly but it has no bearing on my handwriting), making me practice for weeks with some kind of special grip thing until she finally realized it was useless and gave up. I feel like a lot of my distrust for/aversion to teachers and authority figures in general stems from these experiences...

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2010, 6:41 am

Second Grade: The teacher decided my rocking made me look like a mental patient so she was doing stuff to make me stop. She tied me to a chair with a jump rope. She tried to embarrass me into quiting, and finally succeded by slamming a large dictionary on my desk.

Third Grade: They sat the special education students next to the kids who were too disruptive to eat with the other students. I guess it was better if they assaulted the special education kids then their darling NT children. :roll: I got into so many fights with those scumbags and pretty much was where I learned to fight.

Fifth Grade: They decided I was too anti-social so they put me in a normal art class where they made me a pariah. It was so bad in that class when I would leave to go back to my special education class the art teacher would appalogize to me.

Sixth Grade: I had a gym teacher who thought it was funny to bounce a ball off my head in rapid succession so I turned around and spit at him. He tried to grab me but I was too quick for him and ran to the office. The special education teacher flipped out when everyone told her what happened. I actuall escaped that one without punishment. 8)

Seventh Grade: Durring Home-Ec I aways did what I was told, kept my area clean, and finished my assignments without being a problem to the teacher. Everyone else in the class with exception of the band geeks that were in the class with me acted like savages throwing food, sewing people's stuff together, and putting eggs or potatoes in the microwave. I always sat in front of the teacher to keep from being murdered. That was when I barely weighed a hundered pounds. Three idiots on the football team put a whole bunch of stuff in the microwave and it caught fire or blew something up. Needless to say it was ruined beyond repair. When they jammed whatever it was that ruined it they set the timer than all sat around me. When people started to scream for the teacher it was too late it was ruined. The three of them were laughing their asses off then they all started pointing to me saying I did it. The idiot teacher believed them and started screaming at me as they laughed at me she threw my stuff in the hallway and told me to go to the office.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2010, 10:04 am

[quote="meaningless"]g. She also had a weird fixation on getting me to hold my pen/pencil the "right" way (I've always held it oddly but it has no bearing on my handwriting), /quote]

I once went to a social group thing for autistic kids and the leader was a grade 1 teacher and we wrote in books every week. She didn't worry about what was written, it seemed like all she worried about was the handwriting. She asked me to change my pencil grip.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 7:07 pm

Valoyossa wrote:
Kids in my school used to bully me (mentally, because I was too strong to physical) and teachers allowed them. My class teacher loved to make courts and she mistreated me in the front of all class. I hadn't a label ret*d, because I was the best student. I had a label hardcore mentally sick and acoustic child.

Teachers didn't like me and call me rude, mean and feelingsless. They wrote me many comments like Valoy said that..., Valoy offended someone, Valoy is unsociable, Valoy beat someone up. If someone beat me, it was ok, but if I did the same, I was punished.

I wasn't a kid looking for fight. I was spending time alone. But other kids still wanted something from me (because I wasn't normal), so I had to defend. Teachers found me a problem and they gave me ADHD dx, although I was very calm kid.

My school years were horrible years with many suicide thoughts included.

I think that it is sad when they do that and also when so called peers follow you around. Usually though, if something was up with someone and like they were having an off day or whatever, they would still get around that by bullying others whilst if they wanted to get involved with a group who were playing and then wanted to 'take charge' of the game they might end up victimising someone else who has trouble with their body language, like I did at elementary /primary school.
In later years, teachers were basically, forced to take sides as pupils would always 'win' if they didn't like someone and another person 'like me' had trouble conveying my feelings towards them. Basically, peer pressure just exists within groups because society tends to rule out weakness but if you don't want to take part in the bullying, because in fact you are stronger than those weak minded individuals, then you ought to just walk away.
I remember once that a teacher came running up to me but I was getting away, because he thought I was smoking in a non-designated part of the building, in fact, I wasn't smoking at all, I had been having lunch on top of a roof shack and was leaving the premises when he came running out at me, shouting when the others had left already, so I just ran out in some bushes and eventually he caught up with me, and then said, why was you running away, I thought, 1. why would you be asking that qst and 2. I didn't like the fact he 4t I was guilty of something because he couldn't frame the real culprits and 3. I was straying off into the road at that point even though my old tutor base was in proximity so I knew where I was and also didn't live that far from the school. Anyway, why should they be there at the wrong times when all they could have done was get all the smokers caught in the act? I knew why, because they were scared to face up to them and say, right you are all excluded or whatever, at least then that would have taught them a lesson and I would have gotten my old den back. *someone I suspected to having AS also came by once in a while and used the post too. I said, what you doing up here? he said, got nowhere else to go, so I was like yep well once someone catches us up here, we're both done, and then I think the area got timed out as a non-access zone.
College was a whole new different case, when a preacher teacher came onto you, they really had it in for you, with personal issues attached. Before I had a resemblance code to a teaches daughter and at college, I was singled out of the group by one who thought I was too pretty to be in her class and so didn't triumph my work all the way through but picked up on faults at every available opportunity, later I bared witness to having seen her at the doctors ad once being told that she used to scream and shout at the wall when she was younger, for no apparent reason and just yelled and yelled and I was scared. I was like omg, why are you telling us this? and haven't they ever heard of a teachers convention#/? and I needed it just for being there and stuff, oh yeah, and I couldn't do admin when I started there as they couldn't fill out the numbers. this was nearly 10 yrs. ago, has integration changed? um, I don't know but Jesus, that's what all the I.t jobs are and useless to me now, as I think that numbers were anyone's game then, and even though I could do most things, I was never quite lucky, always bearing the brunt of others wrongdoings and so on so really, when you hear my story and compare it to thousands of others then maybe this doesn't sound quite anonymous as it once did, but tells you that work , play and home life, are never quite the same thing, everyone has that familiar feel to their environment, breach or status quo, and if their other peers don't file suit they like turn on them first then hit the younger generation of their tales of hardship and woe and then the rest of top gear comes flying out of control just before a new chapter begins. its like a frozen time warp in the face of a never-ending precipice and all most people need to do is wear their heart on their sleeve and tell it like it is. even when its not what it seems. anyways, I think my life has been like a sponge for ages and maybe its time to let the dust settle on this area of what I cant conceive to be my life anymore.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 12:35 pm

I remember before I was diagnosed, I was misunderstood by teachers. My year 1 teacher was aware that I needed some extra help with my work, but still picked on me. I was quite clumsy as a child, like some children are anyway, and so if I caused an accident in the classroom, I got yelled at. I remember one time when the teacher's assistant went to sit down on a chair, I pulled the chair back by mistake, and the class teacher yelled at me so loud that the whole class went quiet. I can even remember it now, I was only 5 and was looking up at her, who seemed like an ogre to me, and she was really pointing in my face and shouting at me at the top of her voice. I burst out crying but she didn't care, she just humiliated me even more. It's funny how a 5-year-old Aspie could experience such humiliation, and still remember that moment years later. I can't remember what they done with me after that, but I remember at the end of the day the teacher took my by the hand and said, ''I'm going to tell your Mummy what you did today'', and I nodded nervously. My mum was not pleased with me, and I felt like the worst kid in the world at the time. And none of it was even my fault. The teacher knew I was a ''troubled child'', and so assumed this little accident was just me being naughty. She could have given me a chance by getting down on my level and asking me what actually happened, and I was capable enough of just telling her if she had been kinder to me. But I couldn't verbally defend myself when she was yelling at me.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 12:59 pm

The students know more than the teachers.