Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Helixstein
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 4:05 pm

As of my intense interest in the Holocaust, I have read alot about Judaism - more commonly known as being Jewish - and I have thought to myself countless times that it is a nice religion. Now, I have been brought into the Roman Catholic faith via my parents, and I know that we share the same God with Judaism. So, my first question is, if I became Jewish, would it be a sin, seeing as one of the ten commandments is, I shall have no other God ?
I do like the Jewish faith, alot. I think it is more peaceful than the Christian faith.

My next question -
Is there any Jews on this forum ??? If you are, then please explain the fundamentals of the faith to me.

Thank you all,

HelixStein

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 4:28 pm

There's a few other Jewish people on the forum. A few cultural and maybe a religious one? I'm not sure if there are any religious ones here.

To answer your question about the 10 commandments, it wouldn't break that commandment since it's the same god and actually, if you considered how Catholicism is set up, Catholicism more encourages false idols than Judaism (see: all the various pendents, pins, car stickers, etc for all the various saints who are supposed to do magic deeds for those specialized tasks...like praying to St. Anthony if you lost something).

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

jat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jul 2010, 4:53 pm

Judaism isn't something that can be easily, or accurately distilled into a paragraph or two. It also means different things to different people. If you are interested in learning more about it, you might want to start with Joseph Telushkin's book, which he wrote with Dennis Prager, The Nine Questions People Ask About Judaism. Anything written by Telushkin tends to be scholarly and accessible - very well written, easy to read, and accurate. But Nine Questions is a good place to start.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 5:43 pm

Umm.... it is a sin in Christianity to become Jewish. It is not a sin by Judaism to become Jewish though. It would likely be construed as a sin in Judaism to worship Jesus.

As for what you want? Umm.... that's a very difficult topic. It is very difficult to understand a different religion without actually living it to some degree.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 5:50 pm

Judaism is as much a culture and a way of life as it is a religion. One is Jewish to the extent that one lives and functions as a Jew. It is a way that is picked up through life, not contemplation of theological dogmas. It is not an easy religion to convert to.

Frankly, you are just as well off if you follow the Noachic Laws. That will render you fit and righteous as a human being. One does not need to be Jewish to be on the good side of God.

It says in the sixth book of the Mishna -- The righteous of ALL the nations have a portion in the world to come.

ruveyn

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 11:29 pm

If you become a Jew then you can "buy it wholesale".

I would like to be a Jewish, Catholic, Masonic, Islamic, gay, black Republican.

That way I would get ALL the insider benefits. :D

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 6:12 am

Wombat wrote:
If you become a Jew then you can "buy it wholesale".

I would like to be a Jewish, Catholic, Masonic, Islamic, gay, black Republican.

That way I would get ALL the insider benefits. :D

this may come as a shock, but Gentiles can buy wholesale too.

Jesus saves, Moses invests.

ruveyn

TheBear
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jul 2010, 4:26 pm

Gotta make your own choices in life. G-d gave you free will, don't waste it.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 5:06 pm

Helixstein wrote:
As of my intense interest in the Holocaust, I have read alot about Judaism - more commonly known as being Jewish - and I have thought to myself countless times that it is a nice religion. Now, I have been brought into the Roman Catholic faith via my parents, and I know that we share the same God with Judaism. So, my first question is, if I became Jewish, would it be a sin, seeing as one of the ten commandments is, I shall have no other God ?
I do like the Jewish faith, alot. I think it is more peaceful than the Christian faith.

My next question -
Is there any Jews on this forum ??? If you are, then please explain the fundamentals of the faith to me.

Thank you all,

HelixStein

I haven't read anywhere in the Bible that says it is a sin to become a Jew or to convert from Christianity to Judaism.

However, the epistle writers DISCOURAGED Gentiles from becoming Jews "first" because one main concern Jesus had regarding the Jewish leaders at the time was the prevalence of legalism that many of the lesser educated people, not to mention Gentiles, found to be horribly oppressive. The point Jesus was trying to make was that everyone may have access to God, any time, anywhere, and that sacrifices would no longer be required after His death and resurrection because death penalty for sin had been paid for all.

If you want to practice Judaism for the sake of "holiness" or to live a life consistent with God's will according to the "Law," that is up to you and your conscience. You do what you feel is right. But to do so and rely on the Law alone means that the Law must be followed COMPLETELY, no picking and choosing. The difference with Christianity is that the Law is summed up as "love God with all your heart, your mind, and your strength" and "love your neighbor as yourself." The first part of that, the "Great Commandment," is actually a quote Jesus took from Moses, so you can certainly see a vast amount of synergy that was intended among all laws as to how human beings should treat each other. "Love God" and "love your neighbor" OUGHT to result in the correct, acceptable behavior of those who follow both the OT commandments and the teachings of Jesus.

The only significant thing that the NT really adds to the OT is that, because all have failed to live perfectly and righteously according to the ancient Law before God, we are in need of atonement for our sin. Jesus provides that way. I've considered things like keeping kosher, but it's comforting that such things are not REQUIRED.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 11:27 pm

There is a movement called Messianic Judaism, in which Jewish culture and traditions are practiced, but Christ is recognized as the Messiah. Some of their synagogues are very open to everyone, while others are very exclusive, catering primarily to just ethnic Jews.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 8:04 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
There is a movement called Messianic Judaism, in which Jewish culture and traditions are practiced, but Christ is recognized as the Messiah. Some of their synagogues are very open to everyone, while others are very exclusive, catering primarily to just ethnic Jews.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

It is a crackpot group. If one held his breath waiting for the Messiah, one would turn blue and die.

ruveyn

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 9:41 am

All "Christians" are "spiritual Jews."

Becoming Jewish would be a step backwards.