Did you find the advice helpful?
yes 89%  89%  [ 529 ]
no 11%  11%  [ 65 ]
Total votes : 594

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Dec 2023, 12:06 am

Well back in high school, there was this kid, everyone bullied him. He was probably autistic. He'd follow you everywhere you went. I remember telling him I was walking home and said, "bye", and he kept following me until I got angry. Friends of mine had the same problem.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2023, 12:19 am

rpcarnell wrote:
Well back in high school, there was this kid, everyone bullied him. He was probably autistic. He'd follow you everywhere you went. I remember telling him I was walking home and said, "bye", and he kept following me until I got angry. Friends of mine had the same problem.

I guess I'd enjoy doing this if no one criticized me

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2023, 12:22 am

rpcarnell wrote:

I encountered someone like this in high school... while very high on coke.

I'm glad he seemed to get it when I explained I was way too paranoid for him to keep following me without the risk of me responding negatively.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2024, 1:36 am

Always be careful with using affectionate words like "my love", "my dear", "my friend" when you talk to people. People in some cultures get offended by people who talk like this.

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2024, 2:28 am

Always be careful when you talk to authority figures. Bosses, teachers, police officers, etc. Some autistic people could get in trouble by resisting arrest, or talking back to a school principal, and so on.

DeanMoriarty
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jan 2024, 6:30 pm

General principle: fake a level of participation in group behaviours

Examples:

Ordering an unusual meal or drink in a restaurant can be taken by neurotypicals as a statement, an attempt to get attention, or as a way to show up others for not being adventurous.

Not joining in, even in the most cursory way, with a bitching session at work could mark you out as separate from the group or be perceived as you thinking you are 'better' than the venting neurotypicals.

Doing something alone, or admitting to pursuing solitary hobbies, can be seen as unsavoury to neurotypicals or as marking you out as some kind of oddball.

Analysis:

Neurotypicals seem to see the most inane coded meaning in all gestures and actions. If you go against the group dynamic or consensus, they will project all kind of coded meaning onto this behaviour that would never naturally occur to an autistic person.

They seem to find an almost religious comfort in being part of a group dynamic and an agreed group decision making structure. Autistics don't understand this because we have never lived in a world designed for us, and we have had to build strong independent identity and thinking skills simply to navigate this.

Action:

What I have learnt to do is stay quiet in most group situations and analyse some of the repeated behaviours and traits that come up in the group setting. I then attempt 'low risk' interactions with the group, such as ordering a similar drink as everyone else, or asking simple questions about topics that seem to be of interest to the group.

Neurotypicals will value a cynical, surface level of participation in their group dynamic far more than a genuine interaction that threatens or contradicts the group. Even if they might say otherwise, they tend to value conformity and reflection more than they value authenticity.

Once you get to know people better and can identify trusted figures with a more open mindset, you may choose to unwind a little in certain group settings. For example, having drinks with a handful of vetted colleagues who have shown themselves to be open minded and non judgmental. Do this with caution and be prepared to default back to 'safe mode' if needed.

Iris.Ell
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Feb 2024, 9:49 am

Amazing ! Same here ! I only realised this was hypocritical, and a form of saying hello, only when I was 20 something.

LOL.

Once, my high school teacher when asked by the class ~how are you~ I had to add that he had a haircut.

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Feb 2024, 12:49 pm

DeanMoriarty wrote:

Action:

What I have learnt to do is stay quiet in most group situations and analyse some of the repeated behaviours and traits that come up in the group setting. I then attempt 'low risk' interactions with the group, such as ordering a similar drink as everyone else, or asking simple questions about topics that seem to be of interest to the group.

Neurotypicals will value a cynical, surface level of participation in their group dynamic far more than a genuine interaction that threatens or contradicts the group. Even if they might say otherwise, they tend to value conformity and reflection more than they value authenticity.

Once you get to know people better and can identify trusted figures with a more open mindset, you may choose to unwind a little in certain group settings. For example, having drinks with a handful of vetted colleagues who have shown themselves to be open minded and non judgmental. Do this with caution and be prepared to default back to 'safe mode' if needed.

These actions work in the way that they to a large extent keep you out of trouble with people. But what's the point, really, to take part in social activities and socialize with people under these conditons? It's more like you are an actor in a play or being an under-cover agent infiltrating a criminal group pretending to be one of them. What do you physiologically or mentally get out of it?

Iris.Ell

16 Feb 2024, 10:33 am

Not rushing to say bye to someome, when the interaction is over?

Dylan the autist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Feb 2024, 10:22 am

DeanMoriarty wrote:
General principle: fake a level of participation in group behaviours

Examples:

Ordering an unusual meal or drink in a restaurant can be taken by neurotypicals as a statement, an attempt to get attention, or as a way to show up others for not being adventurous.

Not joining in, even in the most cursory way, with a bitching session at work could mark you out as separate from the group or be perceived as you thinking you are 'better' than the venting neurotypicals.

Doing something alone, or admitting to pursuing solitary hobbies, can be seen as unsavoury to neurotypicals or as marking you out as some kind of oddball.

Analysis:

Neurotypicals seem to see the most inane coded meaning in all gestures and actions. If you go against the group dynamic or consensus, they will project all kind of coded meaning onto this behaviour that would never naturally occur to an autistic person.

They seem to find an almost religious comfort in being part of a group dynamic and an agreed group decision making structure. Autistics don't understand this because we have never lived in a world designed for us, and we have had to build strong independent identity and thinking skills simply to navigate this.

Action:

This is extremely helpful to me. I’ve had trouble fitting in in college I find and I think you might have hit on exactly why, I’m going to try this in a not so obvious way but I value authenticity too much to completely abide by it, that being said I do exactly the things you say not to do I’m curious if this will show results. Thank you for posting.

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2024, 8:17 pm

Yes, the autistic brain simply isn't wired for conformity. While others may have thought that I was "the mentally ill one" for so long, if you examine it objectively, it's like NTs have collective schizophrenia.

Seeing insults or defiance or whatever that simply isn't there. Reading into somebody innocently missing a social rule or cue as that person acting princely when they had no such intent let alone awareness.

I also don't like how this unspoken group norm behaviour even pervades across low-context cultures. If you've read up on Gert Hofstede's high vs low context cultures and power distance, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Flexico
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Apr 2024, 8:15 pm

Reading through this long and tedious list makes me want to say "screw it" and just never talk to anyone again.

... Except other furries. They understand that swapping pictures of cute animals is our version of talking about the weather. X3

Flexico
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Apr 2024, 8:16 pm

Jayo wrote:
Yes, the autistic brain simply isn't wired for conformity. While others may have thought that I was "the mentally ill one" for so long, if you examine it objectively, it's like NTs have collective schizophrenia.

Seeing insults or defiance or whatever that simply isn't there. Reading into somebody innocently missing a social rule or cue as that person acting princely when they had no such intent let alone awareness.

I also don't like how this unspoken group norm behaviour even pervades across low-context cultures. If you've read up on Gert Hofstede's high vs low context cultures and power distance, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Ok, this is BRILLIANTLY worded! Thank you.