Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

TheBladeRoden
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2006, 10:33 pm

So the subplot for today's episode had Ariel's (daughter of the main character) six grade class giving speeches. First Ariel gave hers then Terence did. Ariel thinks he gave an impressive speech but everone else, even the teacher, is disgusted by him. He's overweight, has unfashionable hair and clothes and lacks social decorum (though I like to think I wipe my nose in fornt of people less). When Ariel recommends that Terence deserves to go on the trip to DC (the prize for the best speech) instead of her, even the teacher remarks that giving a good speech isn't just about doing good research, you have to be likable.

I suppose this was all familiar to me since I'm in a speech class. Though I'm not good at speeches, I remember in previous art courses how people would like my work, but they wouldn't like me.

The likeness didn't really hit home until when Allison (the mother) along with Bridget (the eccentric middle child) picks up Ariel after school. Ariel wants to bring someone home from and we find out that she has befriended Terence. And you could tell when he got in the car he was avoiding eye contact and would only respond to questions in one word answers (despite giving a 15 minute speech earlier) . And they also remark later how he was wearing a coat in such warm weather (hey, can I help it when they keep the classroom 60 degrees!?) and how he liked Bridget (she's my favorite character)

It seemed like they might have deliberately made him aspie or at least autistic. I don't know if he'll come back though, since he already fulfilled his part of the moral (that being not to judge people by outward appearances, which is repeated in the main plot).

So I see a lot of parallels except for the fact that there's no Ariel counterpart in my life. Oh well.
But yeah I just thought I might point this out.

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2006, 2:46 am

For job interviews - I got my self a job interview suit - a whole outfit - aided by someone in the department store known as an "image consultant".

After a job interview one time - I went window shopping and for lunch etc and was amazed at the different way I got treated. Normally I look stereotypical scruffy uni student but this time I looked like a young professional business woman. Do you look at scruffy people differently to smartly dressed people? I do - and my assumptions based on appearance, though different to most peoples assumptions, are probably just as wrong. I don't know why I was so amazed. So now if I want that kind of fawning attention from shop keepers, I know how to dress.

Same goes for making speeches. It's part of researching your target audience. For what you are presenting - what are they expecting? A business suit might be all wrong, but clean, neat, co-ordinated and tidy casual clothes might be just right. Rarely does smelly, untidy with holes go well - unless you are on a building site or maybe talking about homeless people.

Aspies of all people should appreciate unhygenic stinky or too much aftershave both go down badly. If I can smell you from the far side of the room - I'm not going to be paying much attention to what you say.

TheGreyBadger
Toucan
Toucan

28 Apr 2006, 6:57 pm

I saw that episode and posted a long analysis of it to FourthTurning. To wit:

Back in the day when us seniors were the principals and Boomers were the teachers, someone would have called Social Services ASAP and asked "Is Terrence being neglected? Where are his parents in all this?"

The teacher's reaction was what I used to think of as Pure Middle School Kid. Back in the day ... when he would have been one ... that's exactly what the kids would have done. Been disgusted and verbally or physically abused him. That a *teacher* should shows it's neither individual nor immaturity; it's a generational trait. A nasty one IMO.

The *kids* did no such thing; they simply excluded him.

And back in the day, Alison's daughter would have had a major crisis of conscience because of "What would the other kids THINK if they saw me talking to this outcast?!?" It would have been a huge part of the subplot. This time, she just went ahead and befriended him.

Is the younger generation strating to improve the world? IS it the adult generation which is going to/has gone to the dogs? [and can they get me a more comfortable h andbasket?] Yay,. kids!