Page 2 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 2:19 am

Yes but what if people are actually talking about you behind your back, and you know this because they talk about everyone behind their backs?

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 2:23 am

This test is going to give Aspies false positives. (Similarly, an Aspie should score high on the PSRS because of past mistreatment, and the BNSA because of hygiene and poor social skills.)

Just my impressions of this as I'm taking it:

Question 2: this will be yes in people who for whatever reason are anxious in social situations.

Question 3: I'm religious. I didn't get that way by saying "gee, I guess I'll believe in this random and unsubstantiated superstition."

5-- I don't know how people see me, so I said unsure, but how do people view people who stim? Who don't make eye contact? Who go on and on about antipsychotics?

7-- I pity whoever takes this test and has a speech impediment.

12-- how can you not? Everyone around you picks up on cues invisible to you to determine what everyone else is thinking.

13-- We call him God.

18-- A lot of us have been mistreated...

28-- is "I was pretty crazy at the time" a valid excuse to answer no, or is that the point?

29-- Can you say "pathologizing?"

30-- This is a valid belief.

31-- this is how I think. Yes. I hear my own voice speaking my thoughts aloud so I can hear them. I know that other people can't, but you didn't ask whether it was so that others could hear it, you just asked what I hear.

35-- What is a Y N conversation? ...Uh-oh. Yeah, it's really poor.

37-- The world is not meaningless, you know. People arranged those things; of course they had reasons. That said, I can't discern those reasons all the time.

38-- Doesn't EVERYONE?

44-- I'm a suspicious person. Plus, what I consider innocent in my own behavior gets construed as threatening by others. Is it not reasonable to expect the worst?

48-- I cannot understand this question.

49-- Email is much more convenient.

51-- Can you say "biased?"

52-- From experience. Yes. Utterly incompatible neurology, remember?

58-- Wouldn't conversations be rather boring otherwise?

65-- This is called prudence.

The sudden switch to first person is disorienting. Am I now answering about the questioner? I'll continue answering as myself, but bear in mind that others may not.

72-- I act as if assuming a reference pool they don't follow. Autistics do that, where you assume identical knowledge. I suddenly make a comment using a pronoun whose antecedent was not said aloud. It's no big deal; I just go back and explain.

Note that I answered "unsure" to every question that required me to answer what others think of me, as well as every question that was relative to an unspecified frame of reference (e.g., the one about sense of smell) and every question I didn't understand.

I have no history of psychosis, but I can be a bit of a conspiracy theorist. My level of weirdness is rather average given that I'm an Aspie, which is to say that it's high but not ridiculous for the general population. I am suspicious, and accept that anyone could betray me, but that's just because I am capable of separating logic (many people are betrayed by loved ones; I have difficulty judging people; I have loved ones whose character I cannot know for certain...) from emotion (I love this person, therefore he's trustworthy!).

If I only answered yes to those which I felt applied, my score would be lower, but I recognize that if I really were crazy, I wouldn't think they applied. Probably. I also did not answer yes to some which are probably yes, because they were about other people.

Ideas of reference: 5.5 out of 9 (unsure: 3)
Excessive social anxiety: 4.5 out of 8 (unsure: 1)
Odd beliefs or magical thinking: 2 out of 7 (unsure: 1)
Unusual perceptual experiences: 3 out of 9 (unsure: 5)
Odd or eccentric behavior: 2.5 out of 7 (unsure: 4)
No close friends: 2 out of 9 (unsure: 4)
Odd speech : 3 out of 9 (unsure: 6)
Constricted affect: 4 out of 8 (unsure: 4)
Suspiciousness: 5 out of 8 (unsure: 2)
Total SPQ-A: 31.5 out of 74

NOT A DOCTOR

Darkword
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 2:28 am

Ideas of reference: 6.5 out of 9 (unsure: 0)
Excessive social anxiety: 6 out of 8 (unsure: 0)
Odd beliefs or magical thinking: 1.5 out of 7 (unsure: 0)
Unusual perceptual experiences: 5.5 out of 9 (unsure: 0)
Odd or eccentric behavior: 4.5 out of 7 (unsure: 0)
No close friends: 7 out of 9 (unsure: 0)
Odd speech : 5 out of 9 (unsure: 0)
Constricted affect: 3 out of 8 (unsure: 0)
Suspiciousness: 4.5 out of 8 (unsure: 1)
Total SPQ-A: 43.5 out of 74

I noticed a lot of repeating questions.

Has anyone else had a feeling of lightness before? I don't know quite how to describe it, but there's this feeling that a lot of blood is rushing to my head and everything seems a good deal smaller visually. I'm certain there's a medical term for it.

Social isolation brings out psychotic symptoms.

Last edited by Darkword on 10 Jul 2010, 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Deidara
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jul 2010, 2:30 am

Ideas of reference: 0.5 out of 9 (unsure: 0)
Excessive social anxiety: 1.5 out of 8 (unsure: 0)
Odd beliefs or magical thinking: 0 out of 7 (unsure: 0)
Unusual perceptual experiences: 0.5 out of 9 (unsure: 0)
Odd or eccentric behavior: 0.5 out of 7 (unsure: 0)
No close friends: 2 out of 9 (unsure: 0)
Odd speech : 2 out of 9 (unsure: 0)
Constricted affect: 2 out of 8 (unsure: 0)
Suspiciousness: 1 out of 8 (unsure: 0)
Total SPQ-A: 10 out of 74

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 3:24 am

Dots wrote:
I scored 15 out of 74 on that quiz. I answered from the mindframe I'm in now, not the mindframe of when I've experienced psychosis. I don't feel watched or persecuted right now.

I also have experienced psychosis. I have bipolar disorder and have experienced psychosis when in either extreme, enough so that my actual diagnosis is "Bipolar I with psychotic features".

I had a full psychotic episode when I was 23 and in the hospital being diagnosed with bipolar, where I believed that I was radioactive and that coming in contact with me was hurting people, so I shut myself in my room for several days without coming out to eat or anything. It was a very unreal experience. No one could talk me out of it, though now I see how unreal it was.

I've also experienced "hearing things" and "seeing things" though those are usually brought on by bipolar and stress.

How I deal with it is basically medication and in the past few years I've been able to tell myself that it's not real and that helps a lot. Somehow I retain the part of me that knows it isn't real and can then work on ignoring/distracting myself.

I have a bipolar blog and my first entry was about psychosis.

Thanks so much for this!! !

that is like what happens to me, when Im not stressed I dont tend to think funny things or have funny experiences and feel embarrassed for having thought them, but every few years when I get very very stressed I start looseing touch with reality, my thoughts get all loose and disorganised and I worry about things such as causeing bad things to happen and about people reading my thoughts or listening to me. Normally I just look after myself more by eating well and exercising and meditating and it gets better. Its very frightening though and I really dont like it.

I looked at your blog and it was very good :D

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 5:17 am

i scored 28.5
i have no idea if that means anything :D

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 6:00 am

lotusblossom wrote:
that is like what happens to me, when Im not stressed I dont tend to think funny things or have funny experiences and feel embarrassed for having thought them, but every few years when I get very very stressed I start looseing touch with reality, my thoughts get all loose and disorganised and I worry about things such as causeing bad things to happen and about people reading my thoughts or listening to me. Normally I just look after myself more by eating well and exercising and meditating and it gets better. Its very frightening though and I really dont like it.

Are you receiving psychiatric treatment at the moment? It sounds like you would benefit from having the psychotic symptoms assessed and treated, as a separate and additional issue.

I have had a lot of the same symptoms and have had treatment for them, including anti-psychotic medication when it was particularly bad.

For what it is worth, psychosis is more common in adults with Asperger's, probably because of the increased levels of anxiety and increased risk of depression.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 10:11 am

Darkword wrote:
Has anyone else had a feeling of lightness before? I don't know quite how to describe it, but there's this feeling that a lot of blood is rushing to my head and everything seems a good deal smaller visually. I'm certain there's a medical term for it.

Social isolation brings out psychotic symptoms.

What you're asking about sounds like a dissociative state. Wikipedia has a decent article on it. Sometimes you can feel floaty or very tall, almost as though you are above where you normally are and buoyant, like a balloon.

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 10:13 am

happymusic wrote:

Total SPQ-A: 58 out of 74

meh. I was really going for a 100%, what a let down.

:D

I was hoping for anything normal or better, dear God, I couldn't do with being psychotic too, it is bad enough just living with myself as I am :lol:

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 11:32 am

StuartN wrote:
lotusblossom wrote:

Are you receiving psychiatric treatment at the moment? It sounds like you would benefit from having the psychotic symptoms assessed and treated, as a separate and additional issue.

I have had a lot of the same symptoms and have had treatment for them, including anti-psychotic medication when it was particularly bad.

For what it is worth, psychosis is more common in adults with Asperger's, probably because of the increased levels of anxiety and increased risk of depression.

Ive got an appointment with a psychiatrist next month (long waiting list) and I will tell him. Its tricky in appointments as I find it hard to express mysef well as my mind goes blank and they ask the 'wrong' questions so I find it hard to answer in a way which conveys whats wrong. Most times I have appointments the profecional is convinced that Im just a hypocondriac or fuss maker and its very embarrassing and humilating telling them about psychotic symptoms, makes me feel so ashamed and upset.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 1:23 pm

Here is my score (and I have a diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome):

Ideas of reference: 0.5 out of 9 (unsure: 1)
Excessive social anxiety: 7 out of 8 (unsure: 0)
Odd beliefs or magical thinking: 0 out of 7 (unsure: 0)
Unusual perceptual experiences: 2 out of 9 (unsure: 0)
Odd or eccentric behavior: 4.5 out of 7 (unsure: 1)
No close friends: 2 out of 9 (unsure: 0)
Odd speech : 4.5 out of 9 (unsure: 2)
Constricted affect: 4 out of 8 (unsure: 1)
Suspiciousness: 0 out of 8 (unsure: 2)
Total SPQ-A: 24.5 out of 74

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 1:39 pm

I got a 48. Hmm...

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 1:43 pm

whitetiger wrote:
Psychosis is not a part of the diagnostic criterion for ASD's and is usually not a component.

That being said, if you have a co-morbid condition (mine is bipolar) you can occasionally experience psychotic symptoms due to that, in additon to your ASD.

It is normal with bipolar, for instance, to have delusional thought process when manic. I've experienced that.

So true. I also agree with MrXX (sp?)

Still, it was amusing to see what my score would turn out to be on a test clearly intended for NT.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 2:13 pm

I have had several psychotic breaks in my life. Sometimes they don't last long and other times it lasts for months. My most recent one was a couple of months ago and it lasted almost exactly one month. Mine mainly are about the delusions (that is what other people call them even though I believe them to be true) and minor hallucinations and when severe disorganized speech. Mine are usually brought up by stress even though the last episode didn't have a trigger. My first episode took place when I was about 12-13 years old. For some odd reason I hallucinated a lot today but I usually don't. I know another person that has schizophrenia and autism. My diagnosis is classic autism and schizoaffective disorder. My quickest episode lasted seconds even though that really can't qualify as having an episode. It was something positive, a grandiose delusion. I believed for those few seconds that someone was going to buy my brother's company for $750 million! Not real. We all wish it is real but it ain't! Things dealing with education is not worth that much!! ! I can't say anything more about that. I also believed when manic that I was going to be the next Wyland. Wyland is this marine artist that paints huge murals on walls and his paintings (small regular sized ones not including the murals) are going for hundreds of thousands a piece. I am a wildlife artist and I do marine life as well. I drew all day long thinking I would become a millionaire in a short period of time. I spent hundreds of dollars on art supplies. It lasted 6 months for that episode but the only symptom I didn't have was the decreased need for sleep because even though there were bursts of energy, the pills the docs gave me made me tired anyways. I enjoy the grandiose delusions because it is definitely a change for me because I usually think extremely negative that we will lose everything and end up on the streets. It is one extreme or the other.

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 3:30 pm

Chronos wrote:
Yes but what if people are actually talking about you behind your back, and you know this because they talk about everyone behind their backs?

Well I suppose you would leave those people out of the answer if you knew for definite they were talking about you.

It is the ones you don't know about but think that they are you say yes to in the quiz.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 4:53 pm

lotusblossom wrote:
Ive got an appointment with a psychiatrist next month (long waiting list) and I will tell him. Its tricky in appointments as I find it hard to express mysef well as my mind goes blank and they ask the 'wrong' questions so I find it hard to answer in a way which conveys whats wrong. Most times I have appointments the profecional is convinced that Im just a hypocondriac or fuss maker and its very embarrassing and humilating telling them about psychotic symptoms, makes me feel so ashamed and upset.

That is a long wait - if you feel that you are in danger, then you should go to an Accident & Emergency department and ask for an emergency psychiatric consultation. You do have to tell them what you are feeling and experiencing, even if it is embarrassing or makes you feel ashamed.

I find consultations difficult and usually I write my needs out on paper before I go. I have it down to writing one word or phrase for each issue that I want to deal with, like a bullet-point list (e.g. Paranoia about strangers; Difficulty sleeping; Panic in morning), although you have written a very concise description in your second post above and could just take that with you. If I feel that the psychiatrist is not listening to me, then I actually tick the points off to make a show of what I think my needs are.