Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

gstla
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jul 2010, 5:33 am

^That was by no means an intentional rhyme, but all the same I find that I've been powering through the BBC/PBS show Doctor Who. Back to reality~

My name's Brian, I'm 20 years old and I was recently diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Disorder - (Not Otherwise Specified). Posting this introduction is hard for me because it means that I'm admitting to myself that I have a disorder. I've always been incredibly socially awkward, (I prefer small groups of friends and so on) despite this as you may see, I'm a very vocal person.

Part of the reason grappling with my PDD-NOS diagnosis lately has been so hard is due to the fact that when I was first going to out-of-state college in Fall of 2008 my room-mate had a severe case of Asperger's Syndrome. His way of coping with the world was to shut himself in his room and be active online, perhaps through these very forums. He wasn't at all communicative and any real-attempt at communication felt like a "War of The Worlds" confrontation.

About 2 weeks after the beginning of the semester I was walking back to our dorm and stumbled into my roommate coming out, he mumbled that the sodas in our mini-fridge had "exploded", though I had to ask him several times before he clearly said so. I hope you'll forgive me for any hasty generalizations I may make in the future, but I had to clean up a Huge mess inside the fridge and outside of it on the carpet even when he returned, sat down at his desk/computer after class and made me clean up the entire mess which took a good 45 minutes. That being said, I sincerely really respect everyone here for dealing with their disorder or disorder(s) head on.

One of the most important things to understanding me is that I'm an extremely emotional person. I hate throwing this out there because of the 'emo' references / pop-culture, but I'm very empathic; sometimes to the point at which I half to close myself off to the world. PDD-NOS is a diagnosis that is usually diagnosed very early, so my diagnosis is still something that I'm coming to terms with. Oh, I'm also rather random and spazzy at times ^^;

As far as musical groups go, I really like groups like 3 Doors Down or The Red Hot Chilli Peppers as well as more 'out there' artists like Lorraina McKennit and Michele McLaughlin, a contemporary Celtic pianist. I listen to a lot of music these days, though it sometimes overwhelms me and I'd rather have some silence ; )

Movie wise, anything that can tell an evocative, compelling story (regardless of the visual style or medim) (eg) Great Teacher Onizuka (anime) are stories that I can appreciate. I used to read a lot, though I haven't read a lot in recent months. I'm slolwly working through Blackwood Farm by Anne Rice. TV shows that I watch online include; Doctor Who, True Blood, and House. I do tend to watch a lot of animation, but if anything, I'm more of a closet-otaku >.<..See Hikikomori(WelcomeToTheNHK).

Long-winded introduction I know...but hopefully it'll help me find some solace as well as compassionate people, dare I say? friends to talk about oh?! Everything. Cheers!

Brian

P.S.
WrongPlanet? Was there ever a right-planet?...oh well,
guess I've [Left] the planet for the time being =O

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 8:09 am

Welcome!

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 10:53 am

Hello and welcome to the Wrong Planet neighborhood, Brian.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 9:54 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet. :)

Agnieszka
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 11:09 pm

Welcome, gstla :)

gnomederwear
Tufted Titmouse