Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 3:15 pm

Does it often happen to you that you are thinking about something and out of a sudden it turns real? For example, a couple of weeks ago, I was on a bus and started to think about Cujo, when suddenly I saw a Saint Bernard dog in one of the backyards of the houses the bus was passing by.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 3:23 pm

That sounds to me like the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 3:25 pm

Yeah, I often ask my friend something like say "has your boyfriend bought his plane ticket?" and almost every time she'll say "we just started talking about that just 15 seconds ago actually". I seriously think I can read minds, I often say things at the exact same time as other people think them. I also have Deja Vu alot, dreams that come true, etc.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 3:31 pm

KaiG wrote:
That sounds to me like the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon.

Not exactly, said phenomenon refers to situations when we just acquired some knowledge and I know about the existence of the book by SK and the movie based on it, for many years.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 3:35 pm

The same principles apply, though. If something's on your mind, you're more likely to notice things relating to it. If you hadn't been thinking about Cujo, you might have seen the dog and not thought anything of it. We all see more things every day than we can possibly pay attention to, and our brains decide what to focus on based upon various factors, including patterns and recent thoughts or knowledge.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 5:00 pm

Whenever I think about a movie or watch it on DVD, it usually plays on TV within a week. The same thing happens to my brother.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 5:06 pm

There have been times when I was thinking of a song and then immediately afterward that song would start playing on the radio.

Coldkick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jul 2010, 5:12 pm

This happens 90% of the time when solving crossword puzzles at our house. It's really creepy.

Oh and it is actually called Synchronicity. ;)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 8:05 pm

One day, when I was in high school, I was thinking about that episode of 'The Wonder Years', with Frank the Stank and Denise the Grease. I've turned on the TV, to watch the show, and the station happened to play that episode.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 8:14 pm

Ooh, I love synchronicities, aren't they interesting? I went through a period where I was experiencing them a lot. I wonder why?

Agnieszka
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 12:13 am

Yeah... 8O It happens a lot to me... 8O

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 3:10 am

Many miles away...

The year is still young.

Blasty
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 3:13 am

The other day, my dad and I were in the truck going up a road that we had been on many times when I was 2-3 years old. When I was that age, my dad took a corner too close to the edge and slapped a mirror on a reflector. The loud SMACK! and glass flying off scared the crap out of me as a toddler, and I remember it quite vividly.

Well, a few days ago while we were headed out camping, about thirty miles from that corner on the same road, my dad was distracted by something while crossing an old bridge with a concrete railing. We had just been talking about the mirror incident that happened long ago. Of course he drifted too close to the right side, and just as I yelled for him to watch the road, WHACK! There went the mirror. :D

The only two mirrors he lost were within 30 miles of each other, on the same road and I was there both times.