Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 1:22 am

I like to at least believe that I've mostly got it together. Don't get me wrong, I got a lot of problems, but most of them I pretty well understand and have them in control the point where I can function in the world around me.

But one thing keeps coming back to me.. And I don't know if it's normal. I never bring it up to my Psych. though i'm not quite sure why. (fear?)

I have what I would have to call paranoid thoughts. They are invasive when they hit. They strike a "moment" of fear too. But I am able to almost immediately dismiss them, and not worry about them. They do not affect my actions, that I'm aware of. But I still get that "Hrm.. he could be doing that to set me up" or the likes. I look at the paranoias, realize with the other things I Know, the chances are slim enough that it's not worth worrying about, and forget them.... Until maybe a week or a month later, a similar one hits me again.

Is this normal? Is it an aspie thing? Or am I just too analytical and realize that there is always a positive probability that someone REALLY IS out to get me, but too rational to give that unlikelihood any more than a casual thought?

Deidara
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jul 2010, 1:26 am

It's good to always be wary of people. It's not good to think everyone is constantly out to get you.
Complete trust is never good, even between the best of friends.

If you have this in moderation and it doesn't affect your functioning, there's nothing wrong with it I think.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 2:05 am

Deidara wrote:
It's good to always be wary of people. It's not good to think everyone is constantly out to get you.
Complete trust is never good, even between the best of friends.

If you have this in moderation and it doesn't affect your functioning, there's nothing wrong with it I think.

Quote:

It's not paranoia when someone is really out to get you.

Just don't let it rule your every action. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with being cautious.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 6:02 am

Exclavius wrote:
I never bring it up to my Psych. though i'm not quite sure why. (fear?)

I have what I would have to call paranoid thoughts. They are invasive when they hit. They strike a "moment" of fear too.

I have discussed these with my psych, but mine are more severe (unplugging and checking all the phones, thinking people follow me, broadcast thoughts into my brain). Some level of anxiety and paranoia are very common with ASD. When they get very intrusive and limit your activities, anti-psychotic drugs can be helpful. Anti-anxiety medication might help with the feelings that lead to the paranoid thoughts. When they got very bad for me (e.g. seeing zombies when out in crowds) they were very difficult.

I like to think that the paranoid thoughts are the conscious mind's attempts to rationalize constant fear and anxiety - if you feel alert and threatened, there must be a threat.

Discussing them with an experienced professional (every psych has dealt with anxiety, paranoia and psychosis at many different levels of severity) then they can help validate the experience and help with solutions where it is affecting your life, whether that is simply talk or drugs.