Cases of a cancer in your families?

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 5:27 am

Were there any? If so, are you sometimes afraid you could get it too, as it's in your genes? Especially when it comes to a cancer of one's feminine parts and a breast cancer in women. In mine, luckily, there were only two such cases: my great aunt died during a surgery which was performed after she got a cancer of her privates (it was at least 10 years ago and she was already an elderly lady, like 70 years old) and my mom's first cousin died of a stomach cancer at 27, in 1997. There were also two other people in my family who were cancer victims but they don't matter, as they were only the spouses of my relatives, not my relatives as such.

Edit: I just recalled my gran who died of a skin cancer but it was a result of an injury at the place of which the cancer developed.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 6:24 am

My Grammy had lung and skin cancer at different times. One of my sisters had a mass in her breast, but it wasn't malignant. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever get cancer, but I don't dwell on it too much. I'm much more worried about my family members getting it.

JCpatriots
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jul 2010, 6:58 am

My father had skin cancer at around 25 years of age, and my older brother was diagnosed with hodgkin's lymphoma back in 2005.

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 7:18 am

I heard about a phenomenon where only every other generation of a family gets cancer. My mom had a cancerous tumor that was removed in time. My gram did not have cancer, but her mom (my great grandmother) could have.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 7:59 am

There is several cases of cancer on both sides of the family. On my father's side there is a lot of kidney disease which I have. I have 80% kidney function. :(

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 8:00 am

There exists a theory according to which some cases of cancers are in fact something you can contract via infection and as they develop in your body VERY slowly, like you could contract it at let's say, 5, and you get the first symptoms at like 40 - 50, you can think it's about the genes you inherited but it's about the infection. According to this theory, the whole families can get infected with it and everybody thinks later they have genetic tendencies for cancer.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 8:06 am

A great aunty of mine died of cancer several years ago (I don't know what type of cancer it was originally, only that it was all thoughout her body when she died).
My dad gets melanomas on his arms and back sometimes, which get cut or corderized out.

melbi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 8:51 am

my grandma: Breast cancer, died long long long before I was born.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 9:25 am

All of my aunts died of cancer, and one uncle, both of my parents never had any cancers or my sisters

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 9:42 am

My aunt died of cancer, and anorexia, back in the April of 2008. You older members will probably remember this, so I won't go into the details, about the bad timing and everything. I also don't want to walk down Memory Lane, to 2008, but that's what she died of. She also had fibermalgia, as well.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 10:31 am

My mother died from metastasized cancer. It went from breast cancer to bone cancer. Rough way of going.

ruveyn

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 10:33 am

My mother's had cancer, as have two of her sisters. I think one of my maternal grandparents had it too. All had different forms of cancer. I guess her side of the family has a general weakness to it. Then again, lots of them smoked...

Luckily, my father's side of the family all live to their nineties and stay in great health, so hopefully they'll cancel each other out. I'm still incredibly worried about getting cancer in the future, though. I just hope it's a melanoma or something obvious, rather than testicular or pancreatic cancer.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 10:33 am

My mum also had Ovarian Cancer, when I was around 6. I remember her getting an operation.

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 11:15 am

Prostate cancer (grandfather), skin cancer (mother and father. Ugh. California. No ozone layer. Damn.) breast cancer (grandmother), brain tumor (biological father).

Sivri
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jul 2010, 12:13 pm

My dads mom and her three sisters all died of different types of cancer, my moms father have survived prostate cancer and my cousins dad died of loungcancer at age 35.
I do worry about it being genetic but, not too much. I just hope cancer wont take more from my family :(

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 12:18 pm

My Aunt, grandmother, and great grandmother all had breast cancer. My grandfather had colon cancer. I do worry sometimes that I'll end up with cancer, but not much.

I'm a lot more worried my husband's childhood cancer will resurface. I also worry that our children will have childhood cancer and I wont catch it in time. My mother in law once told me childhood cancer runs in my father in law's family.